IGNORED

Attention K-Mart Shoppers

Guest skibby

I found a 1995 chevrolet's owner manual on casette !!! 1995!!! anyone with this fetish want to pay top dollar for it?

I have a handful of tapes like that - Mack truck safety cassette, 1985 buick guide, oldsmobille, another buick one on 8-track, ford truck manual on tape

so tbh yeah kinda lol

i feel like the late 80's / early 90's were more of their own decade than just "the 80's" or "the 90's", i think it's just easier for us to assume trends span exactly ten years or whatever leads to the assumption. obviously this is just speculation but I am quite interested in modern history, especially pop culture.

also i posted this in the vape thread already but here's a quick choon i did with something i picked out of these tapes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3kt7fljw60v9uc/SabreDunce-97bpm.mp3?dl=0

i dunno how old you are but at the time i was like 6 & in my world there was a clear line drawn and anything that was deemed as too 80s was dismissed..including consumerism, florescent shell-suits, germany, gated snare drums,etc. but yeah, now it seems almost exactly the same

edit: but with these tapes all ive heard so far is 70s music,with 90s ones getting bit more 80s

that's the fascinating thing about vaporwave (which 90% of it misses the point) - it's a future past that was at the time a commercial or consumerism concept - not an actual zeitgeist of pop culture. that's why the nostalgia is so cathartic - it's the muzak. vgm, new age aesthetics, etc that wasn't anything close to cool at the time, or a flash in the pan at best.

it drives me nuts that people equate it to another form of 80s fetishism - it really is that late 80s / early to mid-90s vibe. it has nothing to do with miami vice and only a little to do with say, windows 95 or Nintendo games, and a lot more to do with the cheezy aesthetics of ads and design. hell i get more of a nostalgic high from early 90s magazine ads i find than most of the vaporwave meme crap people create

that's why these tapes are so fucking cool - especially the fact that it's not dressed up with any misleading artwork or other faux context

• 9 months later...

Been meaning to listen to this instead of just skim the previews, great time capsule. Really made the rounds on the internet, I think there was even a full length vaporwave release made with just samples from it.

Kudos to the dude who saved and digitized all these.

Thread earlier about it.

my Ablum bonus track where I sampled the WHAT from the what would you do? theme is more 90s than the entirety of vaporwave

sometimes vaporwave is interesting though for how alien it sounds to actual 90s things despite directly sampling the 90s

Archived