IGNORED

cheesy melodies that ruin the track

dingformung

The secret is more artists use presets than you think. I'm of the opinion if it sounds good who really cares? It's just another instrument really, like pianos or guitars or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some presets are more obvious than others. Presets as background elements work better than whole tracks completely built around very prominent presets. I dislike when artists use them so prominently. It feels so cheep in experimental music. It also suppresses artist's personality that goes to sound design, making the artist sound generic.

Some presets are more obvious than others. Presets as background elements work better than whole tracks completely built around very prominent presets. I dislike when artists use them so prominently. It feels so cheep in experimental music. It also suppresses artist's personality that goes to sound design, making the artist sound generic.

I think the opposite can be good though. I like the idea of someone doing interesting things with general midi sounds, for example.

Even Autechre use presets. No biggie.

What is the preset? Do you have another example where I can here what you mean?

I think the opposite can be good though. I like the idea of someone doing interesting things with general midi sounds, for example.

I don't mind hearing general midi sounds being reused. I dislike "special", seemingly original, interesting sounds to be reused. They are too prominent.

Example: I don't mind hearing the same guitars in rock but I dislike when Gavin Harrison uses his small bells in almost every track he plays in.

It is very subjective and relative, I know, but glitch presets in experimental music sucks a lot.

yeah it's not like i'm 100% against presets or anything but when you hear someone barely tweaking dbglitch or using that vectory preset it just sticks out a bit too much. i imagine 99% of listeners don't give a shit though so whatever

Even Autechre use presets. No biggie.

What is the preset? Do you have another example where I can here what you mean?

It's a Microtonic preset called EM 1983 Stylish:

https://clyp.it/ruk0zkvn

I see. The Autechre track was the first time I heard it though. Could you post some tracks made with it?

Nothing wrong with presets imo. The hoover sound was a preset and it became probably the most iconic sound in rave culture in the 90's

As I said, it strongly depends on a context. Guitars are iconic for rock too.

Archived