IGNORED

cheesy melodies that ruin the track

dingformung

Why do musicians keep ruining some of their otherwise fantastic tracks with cheesy simple Kitsch melodies and vocals?

Examples:

There are worse examples but can't remember them right now

I mean it doesn't always have to be super abrasive and cold as ice but often the melodies are just simple and infantile but not in a good way in my opinion. Do you know more examples?

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.. after all, I'm not much of an authority for what is or isn't cheesy; I'm a sucker for upfront melodies and reverb. What would the track be without it? I personally think the drum production/glitches are cheesy, at least by today's standards.

It was the style in the early 2000s though.. IDM in general hadn't quite caught up to Autechre's level of abstractness.

Cheese is a matter of opinion obv, if something moves you or fails to, it just does. I have a friend who thinks aphex twin/squarepusher is wholly cheesy, though he likes BOC. The only tracks he likes by aphex twin are avril, alberto, and xmas evet

:40 in. Bob James is the master of making badass phrases followed up with ghey.

[youtubehd]V56yeZtqQTs[/youtubehd]

and another :30

[youtubehd]gaoCsmFDLcY[/youtubehd]

This happens in metal a lot, sometimes it's a good thing, especially in older epic songs when some guitar solo comes in and you can't help, other times it's a really nice vibe and then WHAM shitty half baked noodling synth / guitar / bass part

I had a thread of a similar topic. 

Here's another about bad synth parts

There's so much electronic music out there that you really don't have to bother listening to the stuff with elements you don't like, though :D

Yes but you can still amuse yourself from music with these elements  (with no disrespect to the artist). Thought it would be funny to have a thread aboout it but appearently there already is such

There was a Paul Leary interview in Tape Op a couple years ago where he said something to the effect of  "nothing makes me happier than when I hear someone play a ridiculously stupid guitar solo" and I kind of feel that way about cheesy melodies, myself*.  If anything, I think the problem is often that the cheesy melodies aren't cheesy enough to be interesting.

*and guitar solos, for that matter.

What's cheesy about that nautilis track? You don't like the vocal line?

The chorus-like repeating parts are pretty cheap IMO. Fuck, I am so spoiled by Autechre.

that second Flashbulb track is one of my favorites by him, but he sucks right? so what do I know

I didn't say that he sucks, but the melody in your faourite track by him sucks in my opinion, no offend, otherwise it's good

i think the vectory preset is way cheesier than the melody

that second Flashbulb track is one of my favorites by him, but he sucks right? so what do I know

I didn't say that he sucks, but the melody in your faourite track by him sucks in my opinion, no offend, otherwise it's good

i think the vectory preset is way cheesier than the melody

what is vectory preset?

if you have reaktor 5 load up the vectory .ens and check preset 19. the beat that runs through the whole track is a slightly modified version of the preset. datach'i did it too back in the day. same preset.

in their defense it is pretty boss

Archived