IGNORED

The Gaslamp Killer - Instrumentalepathy

Rubin Farr

2x10" (1000 splattered, 1000 black vinyl) and Digitals. I can't believe how good this is, usually I can take or leave his releases, this one is solid. Includes the Gaslamp / Gonjasufi mashup you never knew you needed to hear.

https://thegaslampkiller.bandcamp.com/album/instrumentalepathy

IMG_4021.JPG

i had no idea this was coming out, but i'm giving it a spin now. i liked Breakthrough quite a lot.

Gonjasufi and GLK collab often so i'm not sure why that's a surprise, but it is a good track.

haha. i think GLK did some producing for Gonjasufi and they seem to hang out a lot.

this album is really good, a nice surprise.

GLK is actually underrated as a musician/producer. i love the breaks he picks and though his production is pretty simple it has style.

yeah this is very good. i noticed he arranged the album like the 2nd last heliocentrics album and he's attempted to make this a little more thematic than his previous effort. also, a solid attempt on warm wind on flipping, what is perhaps, the best known west african break.

still, there is something about everything GLK that makes his stuff sound more like a mixtape than an actual album. is it that every song is so easily recognizable from where it was sampled or influenced, or is it that most of his albums sound like he's putting them together as you listen to them right then? like a custom dj mix that's just very well edited?

• 3 years later...

Archived