IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Guest WNS000

Discussing practical decisions (decided by a man responsible for the whole country) in critical situations with modern-day Americans. How could I be so dumb.

OK, here is a bonus:

Atomic bombing of Japan was perfectly justified and more humane solution than plan B.

So was forced leave of Sudeten Germans from Czechoslovakia (except for the killing and raping which was sick and unnecessary).

Waiting for more "WTF, OMG, wow" reactions.

Atomic bombing of Japan was perfectly justified and more humane solution than plan B.

This is less controversial than your first statement though.

edit: that's practically a quote out of a 10th grade US History textbook.

Edited by doublename

you should just preface all your opinions with a disclaimer stating that you don't understand people and attach no value to human life. that would allow others to evaluate your comments more appropriately.

Discussing practical decisions (decided by a man responsible for the whole country) in critical situations with modern-day Americans. How could I be so dumb.

OK, here is a bonus:

So was forced leave of Sudeten Germans from Czechoslovakia (except for the killing and raping which was sick and unnecessary).

Throwing the majority of US citizens who looked Asian into camps sounds far from practical in more ways than one.

Guest WNS000

you should just preface all your opinions with a disclaimer stating that you don't understand people and attach no value to human life. that would allow others to evaluate your comments more appropriately.

I attach value to human life, I also actively and sometimes fiercely protect human and animal life when I bump into situations that need it.

I also try to not be hypocritical and I try to be sober and practical in critical situations when one got to choose from multiple uneasy/bad solutions.

I also try my best not to cyber-bully people with different opinions but I understand this is a so-called "WATMM style".

This is less controversial than your first statement though.

edit: that's practically a quote out of a 10th grade US History textbook.

That is not an intended quote but a result of my thinking based on data I checked.

Edited by Jev

Guest WNS000

OK, here is a bonus:

Throwing the majority of US citizens who looked Asian into camps sounds far from practical in more ways than one.

It was very practical because they didn't have to individually control each of 120 000 people.

If I am not mistaken, Asians are doing well in USA today and Japan is doing well too. Or was there a significant negative impact for the USA after the camps?

OK, here is a bonus:

It was very practical because they didn't have to individually control each of 120 000 people.

If I am not mistaken, Asians are doing well in USA today and Japan is doing well too. Or was there a significant negative impact for the USA after the camps?

I'm unsettled by your reasoning. You see nothing wrong with imprisoning a race of people because some of them could be terrorists?

Guest WNS000

OK, here is a bonus:

I'm unsettled by your reasoning. You see nothing wrong with imprisoning a race of people because some of them could be terrorists?

Not if the prisoners are treated well and not if the need for preventive imprisonment is in the time of war. It was the most rational, practical and safe thing that USA could do in the time of war with a fanatic enemy.

The supreme court (according to what I read) had tough deciding if the internment was legal/illegal and by the time they decided it was almost over (correct me if I am wrong).

You could also argue that death sentence for not defending a homeland is wrong too because what if I don't agree with my homeland. What is your opinion on that? Or is it sufficient for you that the sentence is legal?

OK, here is a bonus:

I mean, the whole point of a document like the US Constitution is to protect Human Rights/Civil Liberties from abuses made in the name of expedience.

As for the legacy of the camps, the Japanese are a tiny slice of the Asian-American population, so it's hard to say how their internment in particular affected the AA community overall (there are ~18 Million Asian-Americans and ~750,000 Japanese-Americans). The worst impact of the camps is probably the precedent they set for the War on Terror, honestly.

Whatever the lasting effects were, American citizens lost their homes, jobs, businesses and lives because of the internment program. The Japanese were an easy target because there were so few of them; Italians and Germans (arguably a bigger threat) were never subject to anything of this sort.

Edited by doublename

Or is it sufficient for you that the sentence is legal?

No, not really. I don't believe in restricting or denying anyone's rights based on speculation whether written in law or not.

This fucking thread man. Jev, why would you even bring this up? Go to a history forum and try and discuss this shit with actual scholars and let them hand you your ass on how terribly immoral what you're saying is. Hell, there'll probably be one or two who agree with you and you can have fun with that. Get that fucking racist, immoral, vile worthless shit out of this thread & WATMM. Now. Please.

Guest WNS000

OK, here is a bonus:

I mean, the whole point of a document like the US Constitution is to protect Human Rights/Civil Liberties from abuses made in the name of expedience.

As for the legacy of the camps, the Japanese are a tiny slice of the Asian-American population, so it's hard to say how their internment in particular affected the AA community overall (there are ~18 Million Asian-Americans and ~750,000 Japanese-Americans). The worst impact of the camps is probably the precedent they set for the War on Terror, honestly.

Whatever the lasting effects were, American citizens lost their homes, jobs, businesses and lives because of the internment program. The Japanese were an easy target because there were so few of them; Italians and Germans (arguably a bigger threat) were never subject to anything of this sort.

Italians a threat? No. A completely different mentality from Japanese at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_German_Americans

Much lower numbers but still.

Guest WNS000

This fucking thread man. Jev, why would you even bring this up? Go to a history forum and try and discuss this shit with actual scholars and let them hand you your ass on how terribly immoral what you're saying is. Hell, there'll probably be one or two who agree with you and you can have fun with that. Get that fucking racist, immoral, vile worthless shit out of this thread & WATMM. Now. Please.

Leave me be.

Guest WNS000

Or is it sufficient for you that the sentence is legal?

No, not really. I don't believe in restricting or denying anyone's rights based on speculation whether written in law or not.

OK, so now that the law is out of the question in our debate I can argue that internment of Japanese in USA during WW2 was justified even if (after some lengthy deciding) illegal.

I would prefer if it was legal but it was at least very practical, rational and safe. I am sorry for innocent people having to live in the camps but it doesn't change the outcome that it was rational and safe for USA.

Leave me be.

No. You're spouting racist trash. No.

Wow. I don't know how I'm still surprised by Trump.

Guest WNS000

Leave me be.

How dare you offend a woman in a discussion? I thought you were an American.

Is there a way to ignore a user on WATMM? He is offending me for no reason (he is also sexist and maybe racist too, dunno if women count as a race in USA).

OK, here is a bonus:

Italians a threat? No. A completely different mentality from Japanese at that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_German_Americans

Much lower numbers but still.

Re: Italians - Italian-American fascists were definitely less prominent than German American ones, but they were still present here. Would it not have been practical to treat them as the Japanese were treated?

Re: The Japanese - You are talking about Japanese-Americans as if they had been subject to a lifetime of propaganda and conditioning in Imperial Japan. These people were shop owners and farmers in the Southwest.

Re: German internment - Almost all of the Germans detained were German-born though, and many of them relocated had been subject to investigation beforehand. I don't approve of detaining anyone on ethnic/racial grounds, but that's entirely different from detaining people born here because their parents or grandparents were born in Japan.

Those numbers also argue in favor of the camps being fundamentally racist (or the US intelligence being fundamentally incompetent), since the most successful acts of espionage carried out in this country were committed by Germans. Yet only 1/10 as many Germans were detained.

Edited by doublename

Leave me be.

How dare you offend a woman in a discussion? I thought you were an American.

Is there a way to ignore a user on WATMM? He is offending me for no reason (he is also sexist and maybe racist too, dunno if women count as a race in USA).

Try harder.