IGNORED

Aphex on the BBC

ceiling

I've heard so many Aphex songs on the BBC recently, seems to be at least one song on every documentary I watch. Do you think he may have sold the rights to his whole discog to the BBC for a lump sum? I heard Rhubarb, Penty Harmonium and Nanou 2 all within one day.

I can't imagine the BBC going through the arduous process of getting the rights to a song every time they want to use It. 

What are your thoughts? Be interesting to know how much money he may have got, say for example if he sold the rights to use his songs on the BBC for the next 20 years.

Apologies If this has been brought up before

They don't need permission to use songs on television programmes, hence why BoC always appeared on Top Gear, a programme I doubt they would endorse. They get paid for being used, though.

My suspicion is whoever works at the BBC as their music guy is a huge IDM fan, or a big Warp fan at least and could do with broadening their library. I've heard The Gasman, Amon Tobin and others on shows too sometimes. Adverts and films are a different matter and you do need permission.

They don't need permission to use songs on television programmes

Aye you do, but it's usually done at a label level rather than an artist level. But every time a specific track is used it'll be logged by the music legal team of the TV channel and/or production company and forwarded onto the folks at PRS so the right people get the royalties for the tracks

EDIT: As loganfive said a while back: https://forum.watmm.com/topic/4536-someone-in-bbc-loves-aphex/?do=findComment&comment=92921

I wonder does Richie apply his "fly my beauties..."  reasoning to this if he catches his tracks being used. I can't imagine he'd be too precious .. more like "oh that was done well" or "what the christ, lame use of that track"

Synch is usually a joint thing between label and publisher, who actively try to place the music they control in films, tv, ads etc, and handle incoming requests. In the old days it was common to produce promotional sampler CDs to farm out to tv companies etc with briefer edits of likely tracks, instrumentals, dubs, beds, tv friendly mixes (including mono) and exclusive material on them.

Most TV shows will be made by a production company or a unit wihin a larger organisation, and hey'll have a music guy who'll do the dealts and have the relationships with labels and publishers.

In terms of RDJ, he's always been ad happy, I'd say. I'd imagine synch has accounted for a large percentage of his income over the years. If memory serves he did that Pirelli thing for £100k back in the '90s, which seemed an insane amount at the time. Newsworthy.

Archived