IGNORED

The Radiophonic Workshop - Burials In Several Earths

fumi

Vinyl is pricey.

Bleep:

The Radiophonic Workshop unveil the haunted electronics of their Burials In Several Earths for the newly minted Room 13 imprint. Composed of five long-form compositions of nighttime electronics and swelling industrial drones that pull influence from the work of Brian Eno, David Cain, Sarah Davachi & Coil.

With each track reaching out to the twenty-minute mark, the Radiophonic Workshop exorcise their demons with each track haunted by feelings of dismay. Each piece moves within a framework of bubbling under ambience that slowly seeps to the surface with a dread filled catharsis. Moving from zonal drone and death-dub to more traditional areas of neo-classical composition, each piece is shunted forward with a strong astral techno motion.

Taking inspiration from Francis Bacon’s incomplete 1627 literary work New Atlantis, which was used by the Radiophonic Workshop founder Daphne Oram as a manifesto for the original sound sorcery they famously produced in room 13 of the BBC Maida Vale studio complex in London. Burials In Several Earths keeps in line with the original workshops science fiction indebted experiments by spilling forth the sort of hide behind the sofa atmospherics that gave the original groups recordings so much president within our collective consciousness.

With the vinyl edition of Burials In Several Earths spread across four 10"s, The Radiophonic Workshop pay homage to the 2003 Music from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop album released by Aphex Twin's Rephlex recordings. With the album encased in fittingly spellbinding artwork by Folklore Tapes head researcher David Chatton Barker, Burials In Several Earths finds The Radiophonic Workshop moving into fresh ground and unexplored territories, and while the studio techniques have been updated, the legendary sounds on which the group was founded, while their past influence taps at the window.

https://bleep.com/release/81940-the-radiophonic-workshop-burials-in-several-earths

NEW Workshop material? Disgusting.

So, who exactly is behind this? Veterans from the ol' workshop? No credits to them? Why split such long tracks on 4 x 10", just because Rephlex did it?

Also: "compositions that hark back to their classic work while exploring new areas of sound and combines analogue synth and cutting edge digital technologies.

First preview track: standard piano melody on a piano with a guitar added a minute later.

Pass.

So, who exactly is behind this? Veterans from the ol' workshop? No credits to them? Why split such long tracks on 4 x 10", just because Rephlex did it?

Also: "compositions that hark back to their classic work while exploring new areas of sound and combines analogue synth and cutting edge digital technologies.

First preview track: standard piano melody on a piano with a guitar added a minute later.

Pass.

Me too. I've been really into all the hauntology, BBC radiophonic, folklore stuff these past few years but I'm getting bored with it now. The quality on lots of these releases has dipped quite a bit as the labels rush to release anything experimental from the 1970s.

So, who exactly is behind this? 

Pass.

i thought it was that guy that made an entire record of pigs making noises. i'm guessing they're keeping the personnel private just like they used to with the original workshop back in the day

concur on the pass

• 1 month later...

I almost bought the Rephlex Radiophonic 10" set off discogs, but most of the tracks I wanted were released on the Delia Derbyshire "Electronic" album, so looking forward to get this vinyl set.  Does anyone have any of the Doctor Who Radiophonic vinyl re-releases they've done?  I only have the 7" blue vinyl 50th anniversary edition of the theme song.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got a chance to delve into the vinyl set, enjoying it.  Has the classic analogue / modular Radiophonic sounds, overlaid with some more modern sounding piano, and a little electric guitar.  When it gets a little too abstract, sublime melody will float thru the tracks, keeping them interesting, and rewarding upon repeated listens.  I also have the companion cassette, so a nice little collector's item here.

Archived