IGNORED

Delia Derbyshire & Elsa Stansfield - Circle of Light (Original Soundtrack)

fumi

Something for those with with a musical taste for the arcane and esoteric.

ntRKxaei.jpg

Jonny Trunk's ability to dig out the rarest dusty reels and DATs from the archives, basements and attics of the Radiophonic workshop's various entourage has turned up possibly his most unbelievable find yet. Delia Derbyshire and Elsa Stansfield's original electronic soundtrack to the avant-garde film Circle of Light: The Photography of Pamela Bone, directed by Anthony Roland.

Circle of Light was premiered in 1972 and within three months was selected to represent Great Britain in the Art Film class at the Cork International Festival where it won first prize. Surprisingly for a film held in high regard, the nocturnal drones that Delia and Elsa produced to soundtrack it has never been commercially released before on vinyl. Believed to be Delia's longest surviving work, elements of her more esoteric workshop material bleed into the two compositions, Blue Veils & Golden Sand spectral tape loops glow in the midst and unravel a sinister edge to the soundtrack, while the second side's birds chirping casts a dreamlike haze that's both sedating and disorientating in the best way possible.

Described by Chris Watson as "quite simply one of the best records I have ever heard..." and despite being over forty years old, the music really stands up and sounds incredibly current, the closest comparison we could offer would be if La Jetée starred Peter Capaldi as its main protagonist and was scored by PYE Corner Audio. Imagine that and you are half way there.

Weird, when this was announced the first time it was presented as a one-time exclusive limited vinyl pressing (that sold out very fast), which is when I bought it. They must've repressed it a few times by now... Seems the price went up quite a bit too?

Well deserved anyway (the repress, not the price) this album is great and essential for Delia fans. I suggest watching the movie for it too (PM me and I'll show you where you can find it), really lush imagery.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk

This is the third pressing (in green).

I hadn't even heard of this artist before today - and there I was thinking I had my finger on the hauntological pulse.

Lol.

It's cheaper at the Trunk store directly. It's also recommended because it's basically the longest recorded Delia piece (that's released (so far)), two long sides of lush droney ambient with lush field recordings.

btw also been available streaming for free on the usual platforms for quite a while. It's good. Little bit like Chris Watson at bits with the cut up field recordings of wildlife

Weird, when this was announced the first time it was presented as a one-time exclusive limited vinyl pressing (that sold out very fast), which is when I bought it. They must've repressed it a few times by now... Seems the price went up quite a bit too?

Well deserved anyway (the repress, not the price) this album is great and essential for Delia fans. I suggest watching the movie for it too (PM me and I'll show you where you can find it), really lush imagery.

same here. got this when it was originally released, although I only grabbed the digital release and I'm kinda glad because it's quite minimal.

personally I preferred the suzanne ciani buchla concerts record. that was just a straight clinic of vintage electronics in full effect

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

That second piece where the keyboard (or whatever it is) comes in and starts to build from the 4 minute mark onwards is just incredibly haunting. I wonder how they achieved that sound?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived