IGNORED

Remix - slow, dubby deepness

Squee

4-5 months ago I was asked to do a remix by a guy called Stillhead. I chose to remix one of his tracks featuring a guy called Mu-Vonz who produces slow and woozy rap tunes.

I chose to only use the slow rap. Everything else you hear is produced by me. I also added the vocals/choir when the track peaks ;D

Enjoy!

this sounds really professional mixing wise, should be on the radio! maybe it's too much of a cliché but i would really love those vocals pitched down a bit more, maybe some parts 1 octave down, and others pitched up, a la burial and future-garage etc... i kind of miss some groovy hihats or cymbals i dunno, something more crispy to contrast with the overall b/w lo-fi aesthetic of the song... i'd also like to hear that nasty little wobble you use @1:59 more often hehe ;)

while we're at it, how does one achieve this kind of bass patch? i mean, the dubby bass overall??? it's fat like hell with a nice punch at the beginning but at the same time it's quite dusty if you know what i mean...

Heh, I like your backing much more than the original rap.  I'm not sure if that's a sign they don't gel that well together or are inappropriate for each other, or if it's just a sign your music's much better sounding.  I like how it builds up too, it starts off well enough as a dub track, so I wasn't expecting you to then take it up a level (at 2:17).  It made me turn my headphones up, always a good sign!  It wouldn't be out of place on, say, Rhythm and Stealth.

I could picture a more upfront rap taking centre stage and completing it, but I'm guessing the original didn't have that?  Either way, this is a very nice track in its own right. :Thumbs up emoji that the BBS software doesn't like:

this sounds really professional mixing wise, should be on the radio! maybe it's too much of a cliché but i would really love those vocals pitched down a bit more, maybe some parts 1 octave down, and others pitched up, a la burial and future-garage etc... i kind of miss some groovy hihats or cymbals i dunno, something more crispy to contrast with the overall b/w lo-fi aesthetic of the song... i'd also like to hear that nasty little wobble you use @1:59 more often hehe ;)

while we're at it, how does one achieve this kind of bass patch? i mean, the dubby bass overall??? it's fat like hell with a nice punch at the beginning but at the same time it's quite dusty if you know what i mean...

Thanks, man!

I can totally see what you mean about the pitched up and down vocals, but I wanted to keep this remix dry as hell, and I wanted to make sure that it didn't get flashy at any point before kicking off at 2:18 ;)

Which bass are we talking about? Are we talking about the deep one that plays through the entire track, the one that plays at 1:59 or the one that starts at 2:18? :)

The deep one is simply an 808 and the wobbly ones are made on my Sub Phatty. They're all pretty straight forward. Add way too much sub and then dial it down ;)

Heh, I like your backing much more than the original rap.  I'm not sure if that's a sign they don't gel that well together or are inappropriate for each other, or if it's just a sign your music's much better sounding.  I like how it builds up too, it starts off well enough as a dub track, so I wasn't expecting you to then take it up a level (at 2:17).  It made me turn my headphones up, always a good sign!  It wouldn't be out of place on, say, Rhythm and Stealth.

I could picture a more upfront rap taking centre stage and completing it, but I'm guessing the original didn't have that?  Either way, this is a very nice track in its own right. :Thumbs up emoji that the BBS software doesn't like:

Ha! I'll take that as a compliment! And I'm happy to hear it made you turn up your headphones ;)

Very nice. id probably go for it without the rap track, but thats just musical taste. 

Thanks, man! :D I've been thinking about doing a dub version with no vocals. Only vocal effects ;)

Very nice. id probably go for it without the rap track, but thats just musical taste. 

or even replace them with the amazon R.A.E.D. rap skills:  :emotawesomepm9: 

RAED has mad skills. But I don't think he'd be interested in working with me.

I totally agree about another rap completing it - I higher energy, higher pitched one. My main gripe about the original rap is the rhythm is very plain and simple and singsong like... a faster syncopated rap style would really work well over your beats and add a lot of rhtyhmical interest.

or as Messiaen said, it would work without the rap. but then it would be cool to have another lead element, maybe like a synth line, a melody with more rhythmic variation/syncopation, at least for some of the time. in my opinion!

great production on this, nice flow to the structure too. very nice sound design.

Have you heard wAgAwAgA? some of the speeding up delay bits in your track remind me of one of his dubbier tracks, Maytime Daytime Sun.

Haha, dude your work is easily the best produced on WATMM

I like this a lot and think the rapping fits perfectly with it. Your work kind of reminds me of Andy Stott without sounding like him.

When it kicks in at 2:30... Shit, that's good. If someone had said this was a new Massive Attack track I wouldn't be surprised (well I would be as their recent stuff isn't as good but you know what I mean). 

or even replace them with the amazon R.A.E.D. rap skills:  :emotawesomepm9: 

Holy shit, I see a restraining order on the horizon...

Super nice, not a big fan of the rappers flow, but whatever, it works in the context. Has a bit of that K&D sessions vibe.

I totally agree about another rap completing it - I higher energy, higher pitched one. My main gripe about the original rap is the rhythm is very plain and simple and singsong like... a faster syncopated rap style would really work well over your beats and add a lot of rhtyhmical interest.

or as Messiaen said, it would work without the rap. but then it would be cool to have another lead element, maybe like a synth line, a melody with more rhythmic variation/syncopation, at least for some of the time. in my opinion!

great production on this, nice flow to the structure too. very nice sound design.

Have you heard wAgAwAgA? some of the speeding up delay bits in your track remind me of one of his dubbier tracks, Maytime Daytime Sun.

Thanks, man! I appreciate the honesty. I really wanted to work with his vocals because I love how drugged out he sounds, hehe.

Yeah, wAgAwAgA used to post on WATMM so I know his stuff and I love pretty much everything off of his "mrepsican" album :)

Haha, dude your work is easily the best produced on WATMM

I like this a lot and think the rapping fits perfectly with it. Your work kind of reminds me of Andy Stott without sounding like him.

When it kicks in at 2:30... Shit, that's good. If someone had said this was a new Massive Attack track I wouldn't be surprised (well I would be as their recent stuff isn't as good but you know what I mean). 

Wow, thanks, man! :D

Jeez, this is by far the nicest anyone has ever said about my music. *kisses*

I'm really pleased that a lot of you are responding to the part that comes after 2:17. The development is fairly pop music-like (slow beginning, slow build-up, and then it peaks), so I thought the majority here would hate it, haha.

Dope track. Lush atmosphere. Also like the dub vibe. Love the thing that's going from 2:17 and on.

Thanks, man! Again, I'm really pleased that people like what's going on after 2:17 :)

I'm not so sure: I think I prefer the first half of the track (maybe a bit too much 'wall of sound' second half bar the outro).

Really good track. Yummy dub

Hehe, yeah, it's filled to the brim with stuff in the second half.

Thanks! :)

Super nice, not a big fan of the rappers flow, but whatever, it works in the context. Has a bit of that K&D sessions vibe.

Thanks, man! :)

Archived