IGNORED

REAPER

bendish

You and also use the action list to find shortcuts for anything that has one, and assign custom shortcuts to anything you want. So you could make the spacebar pause instead of stopping if that's more useful.

• Like 1

So with some help from Tom from the Reaper Blog, who suggested the first two steps and basic premise that got me started in the right direction, I've made a custom action that replicates (and improves) the "paste to current selection" function from Pro Tools.  When I was editing audio books that command was absolutely indispensable for quickly replacing breaths and other noises between words with room tone.  There are plenty of other ways to accomplish the same thing, but if you're working on ten or more hours of audio with a tight deadline every single keystroke counts, so it's vital to be able to remove the noise, put in room tone, and ideally crossfade it with the adjacent audio with a single keystroke.  Even two keystrokes is kind of pushing it.

In Pro Tools you would select a healthy amount of room tone, copy it to the clipboard and use a keyboard shortcut (three keys if I remember right, I haven't used Pro Tools in a few years) to paste the contents of the clipboard into the selected range. It didn't actually crossfade IIRC but it was good enough, and anything else was too slow.

Here's a custom Reaper action that does the same thing but also automatically crossfades the edges AND changes the color of the room tone clips so they're easy to spot on the timeline.

You need the SWS extensions installed, a clip of room tone saved as a file and imported into slot one of the SWS Resources list (estensions/resources) and your color of choice saved into SWS custom color slot one.

The action:

- Item: Split items at time selection
- SWS/S&M: Resources - Add media file to selected items as takes, slot 1
- SWS: Set selected item(s) to custom color 1
- Take: Crop to active take in items

- SWS: Select next item,keeping current selection (across tracks)
- SWS: Select previous item,keeping current selection (across tracks)

- SWS/AW: Fill gaps between selected items (quick, crossfade using default fade length)

I assigned it to R so now I can just quickly select a range, press R and then move to the next problem area.  Works pretty much flawlessly.

This assumes you have Reaper set up so that items loop the source media (which is the default behavior in Reaper).  If you've changed that so items don't loop by default, you'll need to add one more step to the custom action:

- Item properties: Loop item source

Put this third in the list, right before "Set selected item(s) to custom color 1" if your items don't loop source media by default.

EDIT: you can also leave out the "Crop to active take in items" step if you want to have the option of going back to the original audio easily.

Edited by RSP

• 2 years later...

Yes to all of the above.

Spectrum editing on the timeline since last year, too.

This is a good channel for tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/c/REAPERMania/

This is a good channel for more advanced stuff and (especially) for keeping up with new features:

https://www.youtube.com/user/audiogeekzine

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Yes to all of the above.

Spectrum editing on the timeline since last year, too.

This is a good channel for tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/c/REAPERMania/

This is a good channel for more advanced stuff and (especially) for keeping up with new features:

https://www.youtube.com/user/audiogeekzine

Thanks so much! This program looks like everything I need.

• 9 months later...

^yeah that's a cool video, someone on Twitter shared it a few days ago and i was going to start a thread for it but forgot. 

the binaural vs stereo thing is something that hadn't fully clicked for me, but it's definitely interesting.

idk/don't personally care anything about Reaper or the VSTs he was using but i found the general idea of the video good

The stuff with slightly delaying the mid or side with Voxengo Sound Delay is something I already worked out on my own years ago, but I never thought of using a highpass in M/S specifically for its phase shift, much less the allpass filter thing.

The actual main subject of the video isn't really relevant to me because I don't do LCR mixes anyhow.