IGNORED

weather/season-dependent music

ambermonk

This may come off as some pretentious feng shui crap, but it's a subject I've been thinking about for a while. Lately I've found myself preferring different trax depending on the current weather or season.

For example, on any given sunny summer evening (especially in August) I find Team Doyobi's Hipatropic Doyobi Drive in Freefall / Dinosaur Green Grass Revisited to be most appropriate. Whereas on a rainy summer day I find Actress's Get Ohn to be one of my number one go-to trax. But on any snowy winter day practically anything on R.I.P. or even the more recent AZD will do.

As for this particular moment, the Ae remix of Refractions in the Plastic Pulse by Stereolab really stands out for me.

So does it sound like I'm smokin' some fat kush, or does this all make sense to anyone else? And if so, what trax do you have in mind?

I'm very much the same way, especially with music I re-visit from the past. I can't listen to Interpol if it's not fall/winter and nighttime. Same with some classic black metal like old Darkthrone or WITTR. 

Summer and/or vacation music is usually a lot more overt, i.e. classic reggae dub, chillwave stuff like Washed Out, exotica, etc. 

Fall and winter is a little more strange. Electronic music in general is a little more adaptable to all times, seasons, etc. That said Burial is pretty much immediate overcast weather and/or winter. Pretty cliche although Untrue specifically recalls driving alone at night during the holidays.

One of the more disconcerting things about the ease of streaming music and the overall effect of perpetually scrolling content online is how much those outside influences degrade and warp previously steadfast memories I had. I used to throw on old U2 and REM cassettes up through high school and it would immediately transport me to being in the car as a kid on the way from Ft Worth to Abilene. I could feel the hot summer head on the carseat, visual the arid Texan landscape, etc. That kind of jarring nostalgia is something i don't ever get with, with few exceptions, when I listen to anything I heard after college / last 10 years. Likewise a lot of previous triggers have kind of been worn out not that I can revisit them so often. 

Fall/autumn: Lil Ugly Mane discography

Winter: Immortal - At the Heart Of Winter, Mgła - Exercises in Futility, DruQs is back in style

My go to winter album is Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth.

Fall is probably SAW II, and anything by Kuedo, Ital Tek, 36 or maybe Lorn.

I hate summer, but it's the only time I can stomach Southern or West Coast Hip-Hop.

Archived