IGNORED

Kontakt and Renoise?

bendish

Yeah honestly I think you'd be able to do *less* with both than just Renoise on its own. Renoise's sequencer-sampler integration is pretty tight, but the handling of VSTs is slightly less deep.

Having said that, there are a lot more Kontakt libraries than there are Renoise libraries that use its powerful features, so unless you're willing to put in the time to build up some good Renoise instruments (or unless you only ever make your own instruments), a mixture of both may be the best option..

Agreed w/ modey - Kontakt is sort of like an "instrument container" where you get (potentially) a lot of very specified "instruments" that do a few things really well. Typically one of these is sounding great out of the box. Renoise instruments are great, but there is not nearly the sort of breadth of available instruments and/or you'll have to make your own (which is, actually, not a bad thing).

I guess I would ask the OP: what do you want Kontakt v Renoise to do? 

The kontakt libraries are all super expensive...more fun to make your own in renoise imo

The reason why im interested is the time stretching modulation and now wavetable functionality in kontakt plus it has some nice effects

Ahh, k - very cool. Yeah, ultra expensive and resource hog (at least in my experience). Didn't know about the wavetable functionality (just started getting into wavetable synthesis and kind of have fallen in love). 

Dunno - part of me thinks that something like Reaktor would be a better investment. There are a metric ass ton of user created stuffs that are amazeballs - everything from effects, to synths, etc. Plus you can make your own stuffs if you want, it can be a modular environment, an effects module, etc. etc. Just a thought. . .

The reason why im interested is the time stretching modulation and now wavetable functionality in kontakt plus it has some nice effects

Are we talking Redux or Renoise here? Using Kontakt/Redux as a VSTi sampler?

Renoise doesn't really have deep time stretch modulation per say, but its native fx are surprisingly good.

Kontakt is much heavier memory wise.

Always found it sluggish last time I checked it a few years ago, maybe it's better now? 

Native time-stretching/pitch-warping in Renoise would be great, make selection in pattern editor, hold & drag selection to whatever line and bang..automatically fit the sample & (optionally) make the sample 'unique'. 

Always found it sluggish last time I checked it a few years ago, maybe it's better now? 

Native time-stretching/pitch-warping in Renoise would be great, make selection in pattern editor, hold & drag selection to whatever line and bang..automatically fit the sample & (optionally) make the sample 'unique'. 

Good idea

I'm starting to wonder about a renoise update...what it could include...and not interested in audio tracks or piano roll

I've used both. If you need some really ridiculous modulation on some sample for some reason then Kontakt can be useful. Renoise covers the basics but it lacks some simple modulation options, at least as far as I can figure out, like key tracking an envelope. You can do some interesting stuff with Kontakt's modulation options, but 98% of the time you probably won't bother. The obvious main use for Kontakt is gonna be the instruments library. Kontakt also has a couple of nice interpolation options like the Akai and SP1200 emulations, but I usually prefer Cyclone and TAL Sampler for that sort of stuff. So it could be overkill, just really depends on your needs.

Renoise covers the basics but it lacks some simple modulation options, at least as far as I can figure out, like key tracking an envelope. 

I'm pretty sure almost every parameter can be keytracked in Renoise, just use the Keytracker plugin in the Meta section. Same with any other kind of modulation. And then if it doesn't exist, someone's probably built it in Lua..

Kontakt is a bitch to modulate, I had all sorts of unnamed parameters in a list of 200-300 blank inputs. Might've been the version I was using but I ended up just resampling it into Renoise's sample editor and having fun there, with Kontakt cleaned out of the plugin list. There's a few nifty Renoise tools that help with that though, didn't know they existed back then :)

Renoise covers the basics but it lacks some simple modulation options, at least as far as I can figure out, like key tracking an envelope. 

I'm pretty sure almost every parameter can be keytracked in Renoise, just use the Keytracker plugin in the Meta section. Same with any other kind of modulation. And then if it doesn't exist, someone's probably built it in Lua..

How do I key track an AHDSR envelope I have setup in my instruments modulation page so that the envelope speeds up/down relative to whatever key I've pressed? Unless I'm missing something (I probably am), I can't really do that sort of thing in Renoise's instrument modulation. I should have clarified that I was just talking about the instrument modulation. I know you can key track anything in the track's effects section.

Archived