IGNORED

Autechre and Melody

missing the short high stabs though, they appear unconnected until they slowly and slightly descend in pitch, then they become the missing 50% of the whole.

i'm confused as to what you're referring to but obviously, the 5th chord of the progression is extended by the tone cluster-like content of the "reverbed" layer. apart from that, the progression is pretty straightfordward and uses classic musical devices like modal interchange, modulation, chord inversion, etc.

the voice leading is clever though.

missing the short high stabs though, they appear unconnected until they slowly and slightly descend in pitch, then they become the missing 50% of the whole.

i'm confused as to what you're referring to

spi's talking about the "short high stabs" entering at about 1:27. They're placed in a quarter-note triplet pattern that starts on beat '2'

i'm confused as to what you're referring to

spi's talking about the "short high stabs" entering at about 1:27. They're placed in a quarter-note triplet pattern that starts on beat '2'

oh ok i'll check that. i was talking about the chord progression in its "original" form, as it appears in the intro. 

well i checked and i don't see how those stabs add anything to the progression since they're chord tones. i'm much more interested in the  same-note "wak-wak--waak riff" that first appears at 1:05 cause it does act as a nonchord tone in places, leading us to more exotic scales than major/minor.

my favorite moments of theirs harmonically are when they throw in really harmonically dense, morphing drones rather than more 'traditional' tidy, easy to pin down chord progressions. just usually fits their aesthetic better imo.

@ hello spiral 

sorry but i really don't see how this melodic line adds anything to the progression. it doesn't induce directionality, tension or ambiguity, it just adds stability to the already stable chords, which is very redundant.

unlike the free jazz-like melodic line that starts at 3:01, which is cool and relevant.

Archived