IGNORED

USB 3.0 Audio Interfaces

TheBro

I remember checking when I bought my new laptop which has only USB-C ports, and sure enough there are a bunch of really high end interfaces that I definitely did not want to buy. But they exist: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/1222697-ten-best-thunderbolt-usb-c-audio-interfaces-2018-a.html

Edit: USB C is probably the wrong term, but searching with that brings more results than USB 3.0.

Interesting yeah my laptop has usb c and 3.0 so I guess that must mean it can run a Thunderbolt Soundcard. I need to look into this but I doubt I'll be in the market for one for a while yet as they do seem pricey!!!

3 hours ago, TheBro said:

Interesting yeah my laptop has usb c and 3.0 so I guess that must mean it can run a Thunderbolt Soundcard. I need to look into this but I doubt I'll be in the market for one for a while yet as they do seem pricey!!!

Nope, that does not mean you can run a Thunderbolt soundcard — this is exactly why this race towards everything supporting a USB-C connector is a really fucking stupid idea.

USB Type-C is a physical connector, which is being used by multiple protocols. As such, it isn't a standard at all. So what it means is that if you buy anything with a USB Type-C connector, you had better seriously geek up on tech specs and make sure that anything you buy to connect to it is 100% compatible, otherwise you could physically damage both devices (I mean, fire and flames and fumes).

USB-C and Thunderbolt are not the same — they just share a physical connector. And even then, because the pin-outs are different, there is the potential to literally fry devices by plugging one into the other that isn't supported.

18 minutes ago, oscillik said:

Nope, that does not mean you can run a Thunderbolt soundcard — this is exactly why this race towards everything supporting a USB-C connector is a really fucking stupid idea.

USB Type-C is a physical connector, which is being used by multiple protocols. As such, it isn't a standard at all. So what it means is that if you buy anything with a USB Type-C connector, you had better seriously geek up on tech specs and make sure that anything you buy to connect to it is 100% compatible, otherwise you could physically damage both devices (I mean, fire and flames and fumes).

USB-C and Thunderbolt are not the same — they just share a physical connector. And even then, because the pin-outs are different, there is the potential to literally fry devices by plugging one into the other that isn't supported.

Wow I didn't know that .. thanks for the good advice man. Is it fair to assume that the USB is USB 3.0 though because I've ordered a USB 3.0 hub and I'm guessing the laptop I bought recently must have at the very least USB 3.0?

4 minutes ago, TheBro said:

Wow I didn't know that .. thanks for the good advice man. Is it fair to assume that the USB is USB 3.0 though because I've ordered a USB 3.0 hub and I'm guessing the laptop I bought recently must have at the very least USB 3.0?

Honestly — it's not a good idea to assume anything where USB Type-C and USB 3.0 are concerned. Check the technical specifications for your computer and make sure that it is compatible with stuff you're buying.

USB Type-C is the stupidest thing ever conceived.

Yeah they'll play together fine - The hub will operate at USB 3 speeds when plugged into your USB3.1 port but like most (all?) USB hubs will be backwards compatible for slower speed devices (i.e. USB 1.0 & USB 2.0) too.

4 hours ago, xox said:

Usb 2.0 is still good enough for interfaces with 16 input channels 

there's some w/32 i/o simultaneous because the drivers are so good and the USB chip in the interface is custom or something. also, there's USB 3 MADI interfaces so you can get that and hook up like 64 i/o channels if you want to go nuts. 

i've read some issues w/thunderbolt interfaces on macs because of the T2 chip causing problems. 

but there's some good stuff in thurnderbolt and USB 3 from Antelope audio and RME. all pretty spendy and probably overkill for typical producers but RME drivers are really good. i'm still using my fireface800 bought new around 2005/2006. expanded the inputs w/a lynx aurora8 long ago so i get 16+ inputs when needed. no complaints. 

Archived