IGNORED

William Basinski — Lamentations [CD, 2xLP]

someguy

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/collections/william-basinski/products/trr343

https://williambasinski.bandcamp.com/album/lamentations

Out November 13th.

William Basinski’s reputation as the foremost producer of profound meditations on death and decay has long been established, but on his new album, Lamentations, he transforms operatic tragedy into abyssal beauty. More than any other work since The Disintegration Loops, there is an ominous grief throughout the album, and that sense of loss lingers like an emotional vapor. Captured and constructed from tape loops and studies from Basinski’s archives – dating back to 1979 – Lamentations is over forty years of mournful sighs meticulously crafted into songs. They are shaped by the inevitable passage of time and the indisputable collapsing of space – and their collective resonance is infinite and eternal.

TRACK LISTING
1. For Whom the Bell Tolls
2. The Wheel of Fortune
3. Paradise Lost
4. Tear Vial
5. O, My Daughter, O, My Sorrow
6. Passio
7. Punch and Judy
8. Silent Spring
9. Transfiguration
10. All These Too, I, I Love
11. Please, This Shit Has Got To Stop
12. Fin

"O, My Daughter, O, My Sorrow" is available as a single already (see Bandcamp link above).

Dude's been on a hell of a release streak this year. We finally got Hymns of Oblivion, another random collab track with Richard Chartier, that excellent Sparkle Division track, and now this! Judging by the single and the apparent era of these loops/recordings, we might be getting some more A Red Score In Tile/Melancholia-sounding stuff. I'm excited for it. ?

• Thanks 1
  • Burger 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This a great collection of unreleased pieces. My only problem with a couple of these tracks are that they are completely ruined by the vocals. O, My Daughter, O, My Sorrow doesn't need need that mournful, melodramatic far-eastern vocal. It's already enough without it.

There's a couple of others that suffer from this same problem. A great album but the vocals hinder it.

Edited by fumi

• 2 months later...