IGNORED

Yamaha CS-5, previously owned by RDJ

YELLOW

Hahah, cool!!!

I had one of my synths repaired by a guy who's done repairs for Squarepusher, no doubt while he was repairing it he would've got some dead skin on his hands, tiny bits almost certainly would've remained deep within his fingerprints until he started on my repair. Squarepusher is inside my rolandz!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

my left eyeball has 3 atoms that used to be in vlad the impalers cock

i loved this as a kid -- when i learned that water molecules got "recycled" via the evaporation/rain process, i was like WOW SOME RAIN IS DINOSAUR SPIT and that was like the best thing ever when i was 5

And typically, that's the last of it, the instrument disappearing into some rich collector's display case, never to be heard from again.

Mustve missed this bit when I first read through. Could someone please explain to me why this is any worse than the instrument being shamelessly used as a promotional tool instead?

Actually made me a bit angry reading that.

Guest sirch

i have stolen RDJ's skin and i am wearing it like a cloak now i can make SAW III

i used to like Solvents' stuff til i read about this today. now i'm kinda pissed off and dissapointed.

never knew the CS-5 in his youtube vids was that RDJ CS-5.

fucks sake, people are dicks.

Guest sirch

i wonder if it had any presets stored (if the CS5 can do that?)

reminds me of when orbital auctioned off a bunch of stuff with presets from all their big tracks.

no, kaini, it has no memory. it's just a really basic 1 osc analog monosynth, worth around 200 quid.

i've owned 3 before.

Hahah, cool!!!

I had one of my synths repaired by a guy who's done repairs for Squarepusher, no doubt while he was repairing it he would've got some dead skin on his hands, tiny bits almost certainly would've remained deep within his fingerprints until he started on my repair. Squarepusher is inside my rolandz!!

LOL irl

Guest hahathhat

the concept just makes me retch, though. re-using the names and the synth, but not covering the songs? and wasn't some casio sampler heavily used on SAW II as well?

why not just do something like

A1: Drapes

A2: Heater

B1: Fungus

B2: Danglers

B3: Sandstormpaper [vinyl-exclusive]"

Guest hahathhat

my point was that he should have at least put a good foot forward and demonstrated some originality if he expects me, genuine aphex fan to even bother with this album.

Guest Masonic Boom

I would call it shameless if the music were an absolute identikit rip-off of Aphex Twin, of the sort that routinely turns up on YLC, but really, it isn't. And therefore the artwork/names to me comes off more like playful homage or tribute.

Maybe it is a gimmick, but hey, it worked, it got our attention, didn't it?

As someone said above, I'm just much happier that the synth is still being used and producing new sounds for our ears, instead of languishing in a museum somewhere.

I would call it shameless if the music were an absolute identikit rip-off of Aphex Twin, of the sort that routinely turns up on YLC, but really, it isn't. And therefore the artwork/names to me comes off more like playful homage or tribute.

Maybe it is a gimmick, but hey, it worked, it got our attention, didn't it?

As someone said above, I'm just much happier that the synth is still being used and producing new sounds for our ears, instead of languishing in a museum somewhere.

Yeah its the kind of stunt that would annoy me if it was done by some rich talentless RDJ fanboy, but its Solvent- he's done some good stuff in the past and has paid his dues, quite a nice sounding ep with a cheeky gimmick to market it.

Guest Promo

Aside from the fact that a lot of WATMM make imitation RDJ music yeah I guess you could say its sad. Of course if he makes some money from it then sad it won't be for someone lol.

• 6 months later...

Archived