IGNORED

(production) Headphones with detachable cable for under $100

Berk

whats the consensus on the K240s vs the K240 MKIIs?

The current pro models K240 Studio and MKII are the same headphones as far as I know. The Studio is a recent budget version of the MKII that has the gold/copper looking cups like older K240s and doesn't include the second (coiled) cable or extra pair of earpads like the MKII does.

The older K240 models (pre-MKII) are different, less comfortable and require more amplification etcetera, but you won't find those for sale new anymore I think.

whats the consensus on the K240s vs the K240 MKIIs?

The current pro models K240 Studio and MKII are the same headphones as far as I know. The Studio is a recent budget version of the MKII that has the gold/copper looking cups like older K240s and doesn't include the second (coiled) cable or extra pair of earpads like the MKII does.

The older K240 models (pre-MKII) are different, less comfortable and require more amplification etcetera, but you won't find those for sale new anymore I think.

ok so i'd be better of going for the MKIIs then, they're only £6 more than the studios and a backup cable is always a good thing to have. i think i prefer the silver look anyway

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

they arent sub $100, but Hifiman he400 are the greatest cans my ears have heard. id highly suggest spending the extra bucks ad getting into the audiophile range. cables are detachable mini smc connects and making new cables for them is a breeze.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any experience with AKG 240 mkII vs AKG 271 mkII?

I understand that one is semi-open and the other is closed, but apart from that are there any other big differences? They'd be used for production at home so isolation isn't really a big deal, and they're the same price at the moment so having a hard time choosing. Thanks.

There's very little between them other than the sound isolation, supposedly a semi open design is meant to be better at representative sound monitoring than a closed pair but I had a pair of 240s and my band mate had 271s and there was basically nothing to mark them apart sound wise.

There's very little between them other than the sound isolation, supposedly a semi open design is meant to be better at representative sound monitoring than a closed pair but I had a pair of 240s and my band mate had 271s and there was basically nothing to mark them apart sound wise.

Cheers for the insight, thought i should check before I commit to one of them.

• 1 month later...

I've got a few pair of decent to good closed cup headphones for tracking acoustic stuff and a set of Sennheiser HD650s but I still keep going back to the old HD590s I found for $7 at a thrift store 8 or 9 years ago. The 650s are definitely "better" (more detail, deeper low end) but there's something about the old 590s that just sounds right, and they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. I use them almost every day for just listening to stuff and check everything I mix on them.

The prices vary but I've seen them reconditioned for under $100 pretty regularly over the years, and replacement cables and earpads are cheap and readily available still.

Archived