IGNORED

Brian Eno Slams NFTs: “Now Artists Can Become Little Capitalist Assholes As Well”

DavieAddison

1 hour ago, auxien said:

in the video you linked after that, the guy who's set up the mass file explains at about 6:30 that there are actually a few very small pixel art pieces that are fully stored via blockchain info. and he also states about 16:30 the bored ape ones do actually transfer rights to that image to the owner of the NFT, which i was not aware of. 

i believe some of the NFTs being sold elsewhere do have some slight amount of legitimacy as to the transference of rights of digital files/etc. but those are not very common from what i've seen. 

Yeah, I wasn't aware that there were any actually stored on the blockchain itself.  As far as transferring rights, that's kind of incidentalisn't it?  The buyer is still paying for an NFT, and the NFT is still just an entry in the blockchain.  A transfer of rights for money doesn't need the blockchain at all, putting it on the blockchain is just a way to add percieved value (because other people can see that you paid for it, and that's what actually matters in an attention economy).  Oh, and also probably some an-cap points for not using a legally binding contract because you'r enot the boss of me, mom and dad!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

40 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Oh, and also probably some an-cap points for not using a legally binding contract because you'r enot the boss of me, mom and dad!!!!!!!!

lol totally this.

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

That Lazy Apes shit apparently DOES transfer copyright of the image to the person who buys the NFT though, so it's slightly less meaningless than most of them I guess.

That might be but then the second question you would need to answer is why you would even want to have a copyright on some godafwul drawing of a monkey 

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

26 minutes ago, thumbass said:

That might be but then the second question you would need to answer is why you would even want to have a copyright on some godafwul drawing of a monkey 

that part of stuff is fine imo. people are going to spend their money on whatever the fuck they want and our resident physician lopez seemed to think that's what i and/or others had issue with....which isn't the case (CD & digital IDM/ambient available at tsrono.bandcamp.com!!!1111!!!!). if a bunch of youngsters/memelords/idk want to buy up their own fad bored apes just like previous gens bought up pokemon cards or beanie babies or baseball cards or whatever, that's fine, sure. cool. that's your bored ape that a little bit different than the others, cool that it's unique i guess? 

the issue i've got is with the scam industry of NFTs as a whole and how that relates to bolstering the larger crypto scam industry. both technologies have some legitimate usage which is largely sidelined because the schemers latched onto it and ran with it. and more specifically i've got issues with musicians selling music as NFTs, because it seems to be designed to fuck over fair use and sharing and general free market availability of music in the future. the last thing the music industry needs right now is a new class structure based on the elite first world edgy fucks just as we're seemingly getting rid of the major label structure for a lot of the industry. i'm anti-Spotify as well because of it (yeah, my music is still up there for the time being, working on that changing next year).

edit: sorry for the expository rant, coffee just kicked in.

Edited by auxien

2 hours ago, auxien said:

that part of stuff is fine imo. people are going to spend their money on whatever the fuck they want and our resident physician lopez seemed to think that's what i and/or others had issue with....which isn't the case (CD & digital IDM/ambient available at tsrono.bandcamp.com!!!1111!!!!). if a bunch of youngsters/memelords/idk want to buy up their own fad bored apes just like previous gens bought up pokemon cards or beanie babies or baseball cards or whatever, that's fine, sure. cool. that's your bored ape that a little bit different than the others, cool that it's unique i guess? 

the issue i've got is with the scam industry of NFTs as a whole and how that relates to bolstering the larger crypto scam industry. both technologies have some legitimate usage which is largely sidelined because the schemers latched onto it and ran with it. and more specifically i've got issues with musicians selling music as NFTs, because it seems to be designed to fuck over fair use and sharing and general free market availability of music in the future. the last thing the music industry needs right now is a new class structure based on the elite first world edgy fucks just as we're seemingly getting rid of the major label structure for a lot of the industry. i'm anti-Spotify as well because of it (yeah, my music is still up there for the time being, working on that changing next year).

edit: sorry for the expository rant, coffee just kicked in.

This isn't comparable to Pokemon cards or music albums at all. These things go for thousands upon thousands and sometimes millions of dollars. The copyright transfer adds nothing because no one would want to copy your shitty jpeg. Pokemon cards for example have both value and a practical use a (the game). The monkey does not

Edited by thumbass

4 hours ago, thumbass said:

You know how email scammers deliberately make their opening emails full of typos and red flags to weed out the people that aren't gullible enough to be scammed as earliy as possible?

I feel like the general quality of NFT art has a similar effect, intentional or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thumbass said:

This isn't comparable to Pokemon cards or music albums at all. These things go for thousands upon thousands and sometimes millions of dollars. The copyright transfer adds nothing because no one would want to copy your shitty jpeg. Pokemon cards for example have both value and a practical use a (the game). The monkey does not

Pokemon cards have gone for hundreds of thousands of dollars. so have albums (that Wu Tang one went for millions). 

i dont think anyone wants to copy any one of those shitty bored apes jpegs. but at least the rights transfer allows reuse and repurposing of the art to the buyer's own whims, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. that's just a seemingly natural extension of generative art in this day and age and i personally don't see any issue with it.

baseball cards have zero practical use, but have of course sold for millions of dollars. many would make the same argument for much exclusive record selling: can just buy it on iTunes for $9.99, or download it for free even.

things only have value if we ascribe value to them. collectors of the bored apes have ascribed some real value to them, which is fine. but the real problem is with their real value being tied up with the scam culture as i've mentioned above that perpetuates the larger network of problems. none of the bored apes or any other NFT is actually really worth the dollar values being shown on them*. those are fake dollars in the NFT/crypto world. they're being touted as if they're real and have a corollary to actual USD/Euros/whatever, but that value is heavily falsified through the many layers of complexity that's gone into this wide crypto market at every stage before now. very little of it trades out of the market as real cash, and for good reason, because trading it all out would be literally impossible: it is a virtually created market that doesn't really exist, not in the terms that they're claiming it does.

*there's likely a handful of rich dudebros who actually did pour real cash into the market to some seller/trader/handler at those prices. they are idiots, and the entirety of the NFT/crypto world is depending on again and again convincing idiots to part with their real cash to trade it in for fake crypto.

edit: if the bored apes were for sale on Etsy for $20.00 each, i wouldn't give two fucks about them, except thinking they were interesting for the aforementioned reasons. same goes for any NFT really.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 3