IGNORED

Sampling WAV vs. FLAC

Rubin Farr

Since FLAC is an uncompressed format, it should in theory give you an exact digital copy, right? I've found (in my meager experience) there is still a difference when sampling. I'd imagine the sampling software/hardware you are using makes a big difference, what say you all? Who are the sampling geniuses around here?

why sample in FLAC though? you short of HD space or something? HDs are cheap af these days. i always record in wav.. sampling and what not too. it's more compatible with different software. 

interesting! opposing viewpoints already. I agree about FLAC size, but I'll usually grab the CD unless it's rare, then wherever I can find it. WAV, in my ears sounds a little fuller when resampled, but FLAC is comparable, depending on the rip.file 

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

Since FLAC is an uncompressed format, it should in theory give you an exact digital copy, right?

It's a COMPRESSED format ... though one that is LOSSLESS (Think a .zip made from an .exe - The .zip is smaller but you'd expect the same .exe bytes back after you've uncompressed it!)

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

I've found (in my meager experience) there is still a difference when sampling.

Whatever you're using isn't working properly in that case ?

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:25 PM, Summon Dot E X E said:

Can I tell the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit audio? I don't know. But I release my stuff at 24-bit, 48kHz. I don't know if anyone can hear a sine wave at 24kHz, but I do it anyway.

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with what extremely low bit depths sound like, as well as what low sampling rates sound like. But between 16 and 24 and 44.1 and 48? I don't know if I can.

P sure no human has yet to prove (by ABX) that they can discern between a 16 and 24 bit encoding of an identical source/reference.  I'm happy to be proven wrong, because that's the idea.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:25 PM, Summon Dot E X E said:

On a related note, a few years ago I donated a ton of my old CDs because I had ripped them, but I hadn't ripped them in lossless. :catcry:

Sorry for your "loss"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2