IGNORED

Autechre gigs you attended and how much the ticket was

Rbrmyofr

7 hours ago, phudoshin said:

Dude.. I studies Applied Physics in DCU 91-96. AND i was at that Olympia Aphex set.. i was well out of it but i have a memory of a bearded dancer and RDJ was off stage? I thionk he played some SAW2 stuff tooI asked umack about it once but got no details .. he said only it was a "proper rave"

Last coincidence.. I know Duncs brother and stayed with him in oz back in 2003. Good times!

The 'bearded dancer' was some rando from the crowd who made it onstage IIRC. I don't remember any SAW II, I think he played the acid version of heliosphan. IIRC Railway Raver was excellent in support. 

I remember a stage dancer at the Olympia Aphex Twin gig. I believe (but may be wrong) it was Paul Nicholson who danced on stage for a lot of Aphex Twin gigs during the 90s and also designed the Aphex Twin "A-" logo.

47 minutes ago, Rbrmyofr said:

I remember a stage dancer at the Olympia Aphex Twin gig. I believe (but may be wrong) it was Paul Nicholson who danced on stage for a lot of Aphex Twin gigs during the 90s and also designed the Aphex Twin "A-" logo.

1 hour ago, Rbrmyofr said:

He may have been there too, but I remember some mangler jumping onstage as well. The chillage idiots mentioned it on their show afterwards, I heard a recording of it a couple of years back. 

The methodology here is very shaky but there had to be someway to normalize the data against inflation. I took your EUR values, brought them over to current USD and made use of the U.S. CPI consumer inflation calculator to adjust for the month and year of the show. I omitted Machester Warehouse because, for a mere 28 EU credits, you got all that *and* Ae so fuck you and congratulations. I wanted to hone in on a true indAex across time. 

The inflation-adjusted values were then brought back to EUR with the caveat that the EUR has not inflated identically to the USD and, anyway, some prices were in Irish Spudcoin brought over into EUR so the underpinnings are very loose. It's not just your imagination. The cumulative inflAetion is 236.4% using the following calculation [(2023 value)-(1995 value)] / (1995 value) * 100. 

We seemed to have enjoyed a relatively flat to slightly decreasing rate across 2000-2014 but, alas, the music of the future commands the prices of the future as well. I only hope the fellas are capturing as much of the gains as they can. 

inflaetion.jpg

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

it must be said that in recent years, lives are often in festivals, so the exorbitant tickets do not depend on Ae. For example in Venice they will only play with Morton Subotnik  ( :catbed:  ) and the price is only 16€, which is what I usually paid in the 200s 

On 7/14/2023 at 4:26 PM, Rbrmyofr said:

I think i asked him before as we were in touch and he wasn't sure - he did it a lot! 

i last saw autechre in 1993, in manchester, at the academy.  i think it was a tenner to get in.  was before incunabula came out.  their hour-long set consisted of two tracks, very long versions of the egg and crystel.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:01 AM, xxx said:

some prices were in Irish Spudcoin brought over into EUR so the underpinnings are very loose.

Spudcoin and other such parochial currencies were rate locked to the Euro even before we started using the physical notes so I think that aids your maths which to me looks pretty sound if a little fast and loose, but I like it like that. Great addition to the thread.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:43 PM, Draft78 said:

it must be said that in recent years, lives are often in festivals, so the exorbitant tickets do not depend on Ae. 

I agree and am in no way pointing the finger at one particular person or act. The promoter dictates the ticket price, obviously influenced by the amount the act is charging as well as venue hire and so on. 

The main rising costs here generally are:

1) Venue owners raising the price of venue hire.

2) Insurance costs: In Ireland especially we have a problem with insurance companies over charging. Public liability insurance is needed in the Republic of Ireland for most events and companies operating here are rising the price of this to unreasonable levels. Direct comparisons to similar events in Northern Ireland show substantially higher insurance rates in the Republic of Ireland. This is due to insurance companies here acting as cartels.

3) Acts and / or booking agents raising their fees

On 7/12/2023 at 5:26 AM, IDEM said:

Hey, are you the Splitradix? If so, I loved Synthesizing Your Future.

If not, you might want to check it out, it's good.

I legit thought that was a condom wrapper on the right.

I've also attended concerts of both Helge Schneider and Autechre.

The Autechre gig was in U60311, Frankfurt, in 2001. Don't remember what I payed at the time, but I guess it must have been around 20 DM, which would be like 10 Eurobucks.

Coughed up pretty much the same amount in Euros for the upcoming Venice gig (€25), which I found quite civil, all things considered. Looking forward to not seeing them again. (IIRC, they hadn't yet started playing completely in the dark back then, but hit us with lots and lots of fog.)

I’ve got an Ae condom from the same tour. It’s expired now.

• Like 1