IGNORED

Sedibus (the Orb) - SETI (23/02/24)

Rubin Farr

• chenGOD changed the title to Sedibus (the Orb) - SETI (23/02/24)

This dropped the other day and is lovely. Falconer is such a good influence on LX. Really some of their best work in a long time.

LX was on the radio the other day chatting about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001wy7l Interview starts at 1:06:40

• Like 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Alex cobbled together material from all his various collaborative projects of late - including the Rendall Orb stuff - he could make a seriously great Orb record out of it. One of the things that makes those early records so great is the collaging together of often quite disparate elements. I do not understand this trend of separating things off into more homogenous side-projects. The best tracks from The Heavens, Enter the Kettle, Yarns from the Chocolate Triangle, SETI and Prism could make a top tier Orb album, instead of four decent but slight side-projects and a largely awful Orb album. 

Also the first review currently on BC describes this as being "reminiscent of their all-time classic Orblivion". Ah, yes, Orblivion, that album full of acoustic drums, emotive piano and 10 minute droney ambient tracks. Some people.

Edited by purlieu
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, purlieu said:

One of the things that makes those early records so great is the collaging together of often quite disparate elements.

It's funny, in the BBC interview linked above, he talks about that precise topic, the share house in Battersea and how it was just a mad collection of DJs/musicians that all were contributing.

I think The Heavens stands alone well enough and haven't listened to SETI enough yet to form a real opinion, but agree on the rest of those things all having nuggets that could make up a good Orb album.

3 hours ago, purlieu said:

Also the first review currently on BC describes this as being "reminiscent of their all-time classic Orblivion". Ah, yes, Orblivion, that album full of acoustic drums, emotive piano and 10 minute droney ambient tracks.

lol let's be generous - there were drums on Orblivion and it was produced by one of the same people....