IGNORED

kalx

Guest Lanner

Guest Lanner

Hi. My first post so hello all.

I was wondering if anyone could let me know which ep's the tracks on the following myspace (purportedly aphex twin) page are from as I don't recognise any of them.

Apologies if this question has been asked before and i've missed the thread but if someone could let me know if these are aphex tunes and where I can find them i'd much appreciate it.

Cheers...

(said link)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=173490268

Guest Adjective

there was a thread on this but it has fallen down the index a bit

http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=19063

the last post there sums it up

(in short, no it is not aphex)

For anyone interested, I wrote Kalx and asked him "what's the story" and this was his response.

Thater,

My friend found your thread in No Music Discussion on SA. I imagine that thread would not have existed if you didn't take offense to what I said. My apologies for being less than transparent. If you really want to know the story, the story is that the Aphex Twin thing is a joke that seems to have caused more of a stir than I expected.

The week before I changed my display name to Aphex Twin, I had changed it from Kalx to Future Christ along with a default picture of a bizarre artistic portrait of a figure resembling Christ, replete with light beams shooting out of the eyes. The link to the "SECRET ALBUM" was there as soon as I realized my music was selling on iTunes and that would have been up regardless of the name I used. Although I can see how you might think I am just an opportunist, that's not even the case, although I wish it were.

While I can say it was pretty disheartening to see everyone in that thread trash my music, it's been offset by how many people really like it. I was reading an article on how music sales have gone down so much, and that part of it isn't just the obvious issue of piracy, but that the music being released today is horrible. I am hardly in a position to defend the aesthetic merits of my music in comparison especially because I am doing this for hobby/entertainment purposes over anything. The thing is that the general reaction I am getting from a lot of people is that the music is worth listening to whether they confuse me for Aphex Twin or not. When I listen to the radio, all I hear are bands that are making music to make money and get laid.

I've been making music for 10 years as a hobby. I get my shows when people ask me to do them. I put out songs or albums when people ask me to. The Myspace page exists because one of my friends kept mentioning that I should. My friends, after seeing the name change on Myspace, were extremely amused and found it to be hilarious. To me, that is more significant than promoting/selling my music. If I was really gung ho about doing that I would have at least gotten on a label by now that does more than CD-R releases by now.

You wanted to know the story and that's the story.

I guess I am trying to paint a more accurate picture for you about what is going on behind the scenes. I thought it was funny how you thought this was some kind of evil conspiracy to make a profit though. I think it's admirable that you've rallied people against me on what you thought were ethical issues. I know it's probably impossible to tackle the RIAA or the real music scammers of the world, but try to keep in mind that I am a peon in the grand scheme of things even in the case that I was actually doing this for questionable reasons.

Also, I actually should thank you for posting that thread. It's almost impossible to get an honest scathing critique from disinterested third parties and that was the first time I was able to read a lot of that in one fell swoop. I saw that someone mentioned something about how the melodies were decent but the percussion sounds like it was made on a groove box (haha.) Made me realize that I am practically unconscious when I make percussion. I'll probably actually try to make decent percussion in the future and see how it turns out. I really have had no formal music training so I've mostly made music in an open-ended way that left a lot of room for error. I've been pretty interested in melodies so it's easy to focus on good outcomes, but percussion escapes me for some reason.

This has been kind of long-winded so I'll wrap it up now. Thanks again for taking an interest in my work (however horrible it may be to you.) Hopefully in the future, if I start taking my music more seriously, even you might be able to appreciate it.

Cheers,

KLX

Personally I think he's just making excuses and trying to justify his actions. His account was deleted and he's back again and still has his name as Aphex Twin only now he has a disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: The latter portion of the direct URL after the third forward-slash in the following: "http://www.myspace.com/kalx" is the preferred indicator of the "Display Name" and is the officially designated "Display Name." "Display Name" does not assume any responsibility for misinterpretations of parodic content.

So now he's parodying Aphex Twin? I don't get it. And I wouldn't give a shit if he wasn't selling something.

Guest Lanner

Ahh ok cool, thanks. Figured it had probably been discussed before (and should have spent a while searching the forums but too lazy, my bad soz) so thanks for the thread link.

Seems a little sad he needs to rely on someone elses name to promote his own tunes but hey ho, people can be bellends like that. I quite enjoyed the tracks as well but would have far more respect for the artist if he bothered to create his own moniker.

Cheers again..

Archived