IGNORED

WATMM Mystery Demos Circa 2003

Rubin Farr

These files have been sitting on a CD for 20 years now, and I brought this up once back in 2013, but since I have never been able to positively identify the artist(s) behind these tracks, thought time to give it one more try. If you were on this forum before the crash in 2005, there was one day when a user named "RJD" with a radiation symbol as their user icon, claimed to possibly be Richard, and something like - he was backstage at some event killing time and decided to chat with WATMM, and then began posting links to random mp3 tracks. Does anyone else remember this, that's still around? I asked Joyrex about it in 2015, and if I recall, we both had a somewhat fuzzy memory. Anyway, these are the files, and I did relabel the original files (sorry) to fit my OCD back then, filling in the blanks with best guesses.

These things make me suspect it could have been Richard, or Johnny Hawk, or both:

1. "Badgers" - these tracks were from the mid 2000s, a decade before that badger picture went viral, and that's a really random ass coincidence IMO (my guess it was a years-old inside joke between these musicians)

(a distorted vocal loop from what sounds like a children's show)

2. "Mashed Potatoe 3" - it's misspelled, and again someone had mashed potatoes on the brain. (a distorted vocal loop of children)

3. "Pop Quorn" - another coincidental title akin to the Caustic Window track. (sounds of popcorn or simulated popcorn, detuned) - Quorn also sounds like a Global Goon track title

4. "Arched Maid 200694" - this is the real kicker in my mind to suggest either Richard did an early alt. take on this track, or maybe Johnny Hawk used to do covers of Richard's songs, like Mike P did starting out?

(this really sounds like an early version of the AFX track, done in a much different style, and the date in the title fits the release timeline)

5. "Ourson 3" - I'm almost positive this is an extra track from the SAWII era, the synth sounds are exactly the same, so unless someone else recorded this on Richard's Yamaha CS-5 (like JH?) who knows.

and someone said the SKETCHES files were possibly done by Nautilis? (I've heard that twice over the years, but no idea who told me anymore) 

(the SKETCHES files were not relabeled)

I've also tried searching the wayback machine, but haven't been able to locate the user "RJD", if anyone else wants to try

https://web.archive.org/web/20041010152216/http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?act=members

the artwork is just an old photo I found recently

watmm demo1.jpg

watmm demo2.jpg

• Rubin Farr changed the title to WATMM Mystery Demos Circa 2003

I didn't know about WATMM until 2009 or 10, but if I knew about it in 2003 starting a burner account and posting a bunch of mp3s while dropping hints I was actually RDJ is exactly the kind of thing I would have done back then.

• Big Brain 1

this is so weird bc i remember 2 of these sloping syd tunes ("bags offal" and R cham tasting") and i remember i burned them to a cd (lol) and listed the artist as "RJD"* 

i feel this enhances the mystery considerably

*i know what you're thinking but yes, it was RJD

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 1:49 PM, Alcofribas said:

this is so weird bc i remember 2 of these sloping syd tunes ("bags offal" and R cham tasting") and i remember i burned them to a cd (lol) and listed the artist as "RJD"* 

i feel this enhances the mystery considerably

*i know what you're thinking but yes, it was RJD

I do remember that sorta. After listening again, I’m of the opinion most of it is Johnny Hawk, possibly while living with Richard. SAWII - HAB era is about right, innit. He could have recorded an ambient track on the Yamaha CS-5, done a pisstake version of Arched Maid before HAB was released, and who knows what their inside jokes are. 

*fixed RJD

15 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I do remember that sorta. After listening again, I’m of the opinion most of it is Johnny Hawk, possibly while living with Richard. SAWII - HAB era is about right, innit. He could have recorded an ambient track on the Yamaha CS-5, done a pisstake version of Arched Maid before HAB was released, and who knows what their inside jokes are. 

wow you really fall for this? impakt fakes are more believable

• Haha 3

Can someone re-upload the AFX - Konklaver album also?

01 - Flan Ard (4:10)

02 - Saint Water 2 (5:59)

03 - Gatelewn (5:43)

04 - Mist In Storage (2:57)

05 - Konklaver (8:41)

06 - Fashionable Headpiece (4:32)

07 - Kashing For (5:03)

08 - In (Fank2) (9:37)

• Haha 2