IGNORED

What is the meaning?

Food

So I was thinking, most artists have a manifesto, you know, some sort of message of substance they want to get across to people. So they create art.

Ok, so what are Autechre trying to convey with their music...

Is it beautiful sounds from synthetic sources? intricate programming for props? a drastic evolution of composition rules? Is deliberate randomness part of the appeal? Is it triggering subconscious responses (boc lolz)...?

I'm not sure myself but I know it (confield esp) can just click completely on occasion and other times completely miss the mark. Can't quite understand why though..

Guest mushroom
i'm sure they're super serious about the music... but i don't get the 'academic' view some people have of them. it's intellectual in the sense of, "hey i wonder what happens if we do this... wow, that's incredible". but i don't think they have like set 'goals' or targets or a certain message to get across.

I read in an interview somewhere that that's pretty much how they approach music; they don't have a specific structure or even mood in mind when they go into it, they just fuck around and build from that.

there was an interview i read with them where they described what they do as like wildstyle graffiti... trying to make something as abstract as possible, but still legible. they're taking stuff like detroit techno, electro, hiphop and everything... and fucking around with them to breaking point.

That was the Pitchfork interview. In the same one they talk about the horn stab in Sublimit and how ridiculous it was in the face of everyone who takes Autechre so seriously in terms of mood.

I also take issue with the claim of "deliberate randomness." Very rarely have I heard anything truly random-sounding in any of Autechre's music.

I read an interview where I think it was sean who said he personally thought it was cheesy when people were like "oh this song represents my feeling sad, or something". He prefered to just make the song and let people figure it out for themselves.

I mean, Ae right now is by far my favorite act. So their music especially confield to me is very colorful and full of emotions. The way I see it, art is viewed in two ways. Through the eyes of the artist, and through the eyes of the receiver. There is no blending of the two. They are different experiences. I find Pen Expers and Tapr to be two of their most beautiful songs. To me they sound like lights of goodness trying desperately to break through a world that attempts to surpress it. I dont know why. Thats just what comes to mind. And I doubt that thats what they were going for. They spend like two months on a track, which benefits it because it helps it evolve.

I also read that they have like no clue about music theory or anything like that. I think they were just born lucky with musical talent. And though many of their songs have simple structures, the harmonic structure of many of their chords, choice of melody, and polyrhythms are actually surprisingly complex. Hell, I am really well versed in music theory, and I could have never wrote Eidetic Casein. (which reminds me of evil clowns killing people, another idea which I doubt they were trying to conveigh)

what ieafs and rook said

funny story; in an interview from around the time of confield, rob/sean reported trying to read through the posts on an electronic music listserv type thing devoted to their music, where various 'intellectuals' were writing manifestos about "autechre's music in an academic context" and blah blah, but anyway they found it all tedious and couldn't figure out what the hell the people were saying and so stopped reading it after a couple months (and i'm sure rob/sean know more about this stuff than anyone)

Thats pretty cool. I get a lot from the "cool sounds arranged towards more of a breaking point than most music". But I still find it cool that that process can become:

To me they sound like lights of goodness trying desperately to break through a world that attempts to surpress it. I dont know why. Thats just what comes to mind. And I doubt that thats what they were going for. They spend like two months on a track, which benefits it because it helps it evolve.

And thats when I enjoy the music the most. It can be appreciated as cool sounds in cool songs or in that other almost image like degree. Which is entirely projected I guess :) But they seem to hit that image like quality more often than most other music I have heard.

funny story; in an interview from around the time of confield, rob/sean reported trying to read through the posts on an electronic music listserv type thing devoted to their music, where various 'intellectuals' were writing manifestos about "autechre's music in an academic context" and blah blah, but anyway they found it all tedious and couldn't figure out what the hell the people were saying and so stopped reading it after a couple months (and i'm sure rob/sean know more about this stuff than anyone)

Hah thats awesome. "Autechre fuck with musical equipment and make it do things that it shouldn't (or that other people haven't thought to do yet)" is all they should write I spose lolz :)

pretty sure there's no 'manifesto' behind it other than:

trying out new ideas... searching out new musical vistas... making things do what they shouldn't... being interested in how things work... mucking about... having fun...

i'm sure they're super serious about the music... but i don't get the 'academic' view some people have of them. it's intellectual in the sense of, "hey i wonder what happens if we do this... wow, that's incredible". but i don't think they have like set 'goals' or targets or a certain message to get across. if anything it's more about musical freedom. that music is pretty much an infinite resource that we can explore.

there was an interview i read with them where they described what they do as like wildstyle graffiti... trying to make something as abstract as possible, but still legible. they're taking stuff like detroit techno, electro, hiphop and everything... and fucking around with them to breaking point. for fun :angry:

I think if that is how they approach music, it explains a lot of the appeal. I guess most artists out there are pretty much following convention (or diverging in uninteresting ways). There is definitely an abstract leaning so obliquely they are saying "we make abstract music biiaitch" ;). hah maybe not. :dizzy:

You're post pretty much summed up a perfect answer to my question! thx :ok:

So I was thinking, most artists have a manifesto, you know, some sort of message of substance they want to get across to people. So they create art.

Ok, so what are Autechre trying to convey with their music...

Is it beautiful sounds from synthetic sources? intricate programming for props? a drastic evolution of composition rules? Is deliberate randomness part of the appeal? Is it triggering subconscious responses (boc lolz)...?

I'm not sure myself but I know it (confield esp) can just click completely on occasion and other times completely miss the mark. Can't quite understand why though..

Can't shit like this get instantly trashed into the Nonsense/Crap thread sub-forum?

Sometimes these deep thinking motherfuckers start takin themselves too seriously and its cringeworthy.

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

autechre wish to let noises trapped inside synthesizers escape

And none of you actually know!.!.! You should be ashame of your selfs. Seriously. Even I know. I've been listening to every single release over and over again but not any more though.

OK, there are two, the one is "Audio Architecture" and the other one "Audio Research something..." I forgot the second one. I've read somewhere actually, so IT IS OFFICIAL. What ever you say, go educate yourself if you don't know this obvious stuff...

And none of you actually know!.!.! You should be ashame of your selfs. Seriously. Even I know. I've been listening to every single release over and over again but not any more though.

OK, there are two, the one is "Audio Architecture" and the other one "Audio Research something..." I forgot the second one. I've read somewhere actually, so IT IS OFFICIAL. What ever you say, go educate yourself if you don't know this obvious stuff...

Please dont ruin my autechre forum.

Thank you.

How do I ruin it? By letting people know?

No one anywhere asked what the word "autechre" means. Read threads and think twice, no, six times before you post.

In fact, if you actually are a 17 year old girl. I suggest you join a convent as soon as possible. It is the only way.

nto the Nonsense/Crap thread sub-forum?

Sometimes these deep thinking motherfuckers start takin themselves too seriously and its cringeworthy.

Haha I just wanted to hear some opinions and ended up with a history lesson so it's all good, and yeah maybe i sounded pretentious but lolz I was stoned at the time :embrassed: + it's pretty damn slow in this here subforum - suits my pace well :)

+ the post above is the lolz...

Guest Kenneth172

Please dont ruin my autechre forum.

Thank you.

Rook thinks he owns each of the subforum's. The guy's a twat, comes down all heavy about what people can or can't write. Fucking loser.

Guest earlgrey
+ the post above is the lolz...

Haha, yeah.

Actually, I'm going to have a rant about the vibe I sometimes get from Autechre. Ignore if you wish.

Hmmm...

Some of my favourite music, including a lot of Autechre, gives me the impression when listening to it that the song is actually playing/taking place/existing-in-perhaps-some-non-auditory-form ALL THE TIME, and I just happen to have started concentrating in the right manner, thus tuning into it and listening to an excerpt of something which is somehow present at all times, regardless of whether or not someone happens to be listening to it. I think AE in particular gives me this impression because their music is instrumental and often comes across as, well, devoid of human interaction: it's strange, but despite the completely synthetic sounds, there's a very natural, [ae cliche] organic [/ae cliche] feel to it as if it's been discovered rather than created. It's almost as if between each track something happens analogous to a radio tuner being turned, but instead of picking up radio signals, the stereo refocuses and presents a different ... um ... ecosystem?

*ahem*

:orly:

Rook thinks he owns each of the subforum's. The guy's a twat, comes down all heavy about what people can or can't write. Fucking loser.

Dude, your a freaking newb who comes in here and calls people cunts and pricks. Dont expect me to treat you nicely. No one likes a newb who insults people. The fact that you are backing snow white further proves how much of a newb you are. grow up. "comes down all heavy"? you dont even know what the hell your talking about.

unlike rook, i actually do own each of the subforums, so:

please don't ruin my autechre forum

Guest earlgrey
i would like to sell my futures in the autechre subforum

How much for just two of your futures? I don't want the entire set.

Guest Dr. Elemeno von Hat X: PhD

i'll take US$10 over paypal

five for a 20

they all gotta go

i'm craaaaaaaaaaazy, folks

Archived