IGNORED

Satan's Picnic

Zephyr_Nova

:devil:

This was so much fun to make that I'm thinking of doing an EP in this vein.

I'd like to dedicate it to: Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Nile, SYL, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Emperor, Meshuggah, Fear Factory, Dilinger Escape Plan, and most of all to the creepy guy muttering creepy stuff at the Vancouver subway station who can be heard doing his thing at the end of this track.

Satan's Picnic - I'm just going to type this as I listen. Like the intro. Starting to sound like a Vsnares track (circa Choco Wheelchair, which I don't think is a bad thing). I like the riffs used, they work together well. Yeah, this has alot of interesting elements going on, unlike alot of metal inspired breakcore, so it holds my attention. Yeah, I think I retract my vsnares comment slightly, this has a different feel. My only real crit is that the bass was kind of thin in places so it made it have that heavy midrange sound that can get kind of grating in places. (might just be my headphones though, as they are not top of the line) Good work! Keep em coming.

That kicked my ass. Jesus christ. Its a little noisy but I guess thats what metal is all about. The drums were a little harsh and noisy at first but I like where you took them. This is really fucking awesome man.

Satan's Picnic - I'm just going to type this as I listen. Like the intro. Starting to sound like a Vsnares track (circa Choco Wheelchair, which I don't think is a bad thing). I like the riffs used, they work together well. Yeah, this has alot of interesting elements going on, unlike alot of metal inspired breakcore, so it holds my attention. Yeah, I think I retract my vsnares comment slightly, this has a different feel. My only real crit is that the bass was kind of thin in places so it made it have that heavy midrange sound that can get kind of grating in places. (might just be my headphones though, as they are not top of the line) Good work! Keep em coming.

Yeah, I thought the intro sounded a bit snaresy too after I made it, less so after I added the atmospheric stuff I thought. I think it sort of goes with the territory when you make a track like this. He was obviously very into metal at some point (or still is). There is way more mid range in this than most tracks, especially metal tracks, so you're right about that, though there's heaps of bass too. All the frequency ranges are pretty maximized through most of the track actually, and I see how that could get a bit hard on the ears... but it's that sort of track, hehe. I wanted it to be really in-your-face sounding.

That kicked my ass. Jesus christ. Its a little noisy but I guess thats what metal is all about. The drums were a little harsh and noisy at first but I like where you took them. This is really fucking awesome man.

Thanks a lot! :beer:

was hoping for some eusthacian type shit, the pitch shifting on the guitars makes it sound more like a synth, if you hadnt said it was supposed to be metal i probably wouldnt have realized, halfway sounds really genesis-midi-ish. not quite as hard as i was hoping but it has its moments i suppose, i like the start stop stuff and the the exteme cutoff on the hits in the beginning

weird that you posted this now, ive been really wanting to make some metal/breakcore, infact i made a topic about it in general banter a few weeks ago

Well I didn't want it to sound just like a metal tune, I wanted it to sound like metal made by an electronic artist. Otherwise I would have just jammed along with my guitar to some thrashy drums. I did do that a while back with demonic growly vocals and everything under the name "KARROT!!!" Kind of like my parody death metal project that never went beyond one song. I should change that.

Fuck! This is awesome. REALLY awesome. I wish I had the capacity to come up with stuff this fucked up! Hahah. I'll have to agree with the comment re: sampled guitar, although it sounds fucking awesome at 2:00. The 'solo' made me grin, as did the double kicks. This needs vocals! Maybe even melodic vocals, hehe.

I might try to make some stuff like this (though maybe slower and more sludgy, because that seems to be my metal playing style, ahah).

More!

http://www.myspace.com/eustachian listen to this if you have time, as it sums up musically exactly what i felt could have been with this

This is pretty awesome, but it's not really at all what I was going for. Plus, this artist already exists, so there's no reason why I or anyone else needs to make music that sounds like it. Aesthetically it's much different than what I'm inclined to do with music. I gravitate more towards song structure, rather than the stop/start sound experimentation stuff --not that I don't like incorperating at least some of those elements into my music some of the time.

Fuck! This is awesome. REALLY awesome. I wish I had the capacity to come up with stuff this fucked up! Hahah. I'll have to agree with the comment re: sampled guitar, although it sounds fucking awesome at 2:00. The 'solo' made me grin, as did the double kicks. This needs vocals! Maybe even melodic vocals, hehe.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. :smiling: I was actually toying with the idea of adding Stephen Hawking-esque computer vocals reciting over-the-top death metal lyrics, but decided against it. I didn't want it to turn into a joke song... though I still really want to do that computer-voice-doing-death-metal thing. I think it would be hysterical, albeit totally retarded. I might just do another version of this song with that included. Or maybe I'll just add it to the next one. I do plan on making some more like this.

hey Zephyr,

quality cut up / technique as usual, tho thought the guitar & drums sounded a little general midi kit..meaning cheapish. Never been a fan of metal so I may be missing the point, but I didn't dig as much as I'd hope I would.

+ eusthacian are kickass upitup netlabel mates, my favorite track from them:

http://www.upitup.com/controlcenter/catalo...e15-Track03.mp3

Thanks for the feedback. The drums and guitar were real drums/guitar sounds, all chopped into one shots, no loops. That link unfortunately didn't work. I wouldn't mind hearing more of this eusthacian artist though. He/she/they's a good chopper.

Nice work bro! My only gripe is that the sampled guitar sounds really dated, like old school KMFDM. Other than that however (and my gripe may be a good thing for some...) kick ass!

Thanks! Most of the more extreme, thrashier metal stuff does sound dated anyway, and that's what this was largely inspired by. Though the context in which its presented should hopefully make it sound more modern (for lack of a better term). I'm thinking of doing a track where I play some of my own metal riffs and then process/edit it into something crazy.

Guest Basi Goreng

Vewwy vewwy nice.

I have to agree with the comments about the synthetic sound though, but I guess that's just preference

*insert whatever I've said about your earlier tracks right here*

Just kidding! As always your production and programming abilities are amazing. This track is not really up my alley, whereas I've loved pretty much everything else you've posted here, but still, I can't help being impressed by your skills because nothing is out of tune and nothings off beat or anything. The ending is great - what is that guy mumbling about?

Thanks for the feedback! I thought this thread was forever lost in the depths of YLC, but I see it's made a reappearance.

The guy at the end is muttering about chopping off heads. He started going on about that right before my minidisc recorder ran out of batteries, very ominous way for my fieldtrip to end. I thought it would be a perfect closer to a piece like this.

haha... dude, i'd like to see you play this kind of music live in victoria with a laptop and electric guitar. AWESOME!

yeah, i can see the chocolate wheelchair reference that was noted above... kinda sounds tongue and cheek the way it was done. not as aggressive as it could be perhaps??? but i prefer it that way and i love that sample at the end, lol. lovely man.

notch top\

Cheers man,

Yeah it's definitely a lot less aggressive than it could have been. I've made a few tracks that are a lot more intense, but this one's more like an homage to the metal bands I was listening to that week. Tried to stay true to the form, with just a few cracked pieces here and there. If I do more in this vein I'll definitely try to push the fucked-up-ness of it a bit further.

i like all the fade-ins, it gives the track a climbing feel.

and teh pipe organ samps are evil

i love the pitchbending guitar sample. it reminds me of this Zelda II remix i heard by Dennis Mott called "Link Gets a Swift Taste of Black Magic" or something -- Hilarious!

the fact that every beat is perfectly quantized in time takes a lot away from the metal sound, though, and makes it more cartoonish. some reverb on the kicks and mixing it so that the snare and cymbal hits are a bit louder than everything else would add some dynamics to the sound, which as it is is pretty constant and steady throughout the track.

i'd definitely listen to a whole EP of this though.

ps

Guest Jimbob

very nice!

those edits are pretty shit hot man, i'm not a great fan of much metal, but if i was it would be this.

that shredding brought a smile to my face too.

the way it twists to a halt at the end is fucking tight man.

keep up the good shit!

p.s. needs gabba kicks :ok:

Guest we_kill_soapscum

dope. very unEKT--ish. the edits are sick. i liek the brief crowd samples too.

i'd say just watch yr levels...sounds maybe a little clippy to me at times.

ps needs gabber kicks

Archived