IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Guest Babar

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
rdj is a lying cunt if he said he never read a book, i'd like to see a source on that quote.

ive recently read this. he said something to the effect of "i dont read many books, just manuals"

i will try to dig it up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest transfer
The track THA, comes from SamanTHA, a girl that Richard supposedly 'stole' from former partner Tom Middleton (who collaborated on Analogue Bubblebath 1)

Samantha Robinson

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
The track THA, comes from SamanTHA, a girl that Richard supposedly 'stole' from former partner Tom Middleton (who collaborated on Analogue Bubblebath 1)

Samantha Robinson

the photographer who took the surfing on sinewaves picture?

Guest transfer

Samantha Robinson

That's what I think........could be wrong though.

Richard's patterns of consumption are very 21st century too. He loves films, but can't concentrate on books. He tried to read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time but discovered it was taking him about two hours to recover from each paragraph. Instead he loves computer games and paintball, and admits to being intensely competitive. He loves to make music, but hasn't time to listen to it, except when he's in his car. The music he makes is consistently devoid of literal meaning. Famously, titles like "Xylem Tube," "Acrid Avid Jam Shred" and "Quoth" sound like mock-scientific messages from Hobbit-land, but they are deliberately opaque. It's no coincidence that the Cornish noise boy has chosen a genre that is entirely wordless.

"I don't really like words in music. It's too restricting... I don't like words in general because they mean something. Whereas electronic stuff—because it's so abstract and doesn't have any meaning...you can interpret it in so many ways."

Analord of the Rings

analord.jpg0079404373472_215X215.jpg

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
a half-interesting thread in afx subforums. that's new.

you wot? my last two were excellent. fuck you are hard to impress... im still totally gay for you though.

Guest earlgrey
18) It is widely known that Radiohead's Kid A was widely influenced by your music, in particular 'Come As you Are'…What do you think of their new stuff and other contemporaries?

Well they widely agreed to pay me 70% of the widely royalties so ,Im not complaining.

um .....

what the fuck is "come as you are", apart from a completely unrelated song by Nirvana?

18) It is widely known that Radiohead's Kid A was widely influenced by your music, in particular 'Come As you Are'…What do you think of their new stuff and other contemporaries?

Well they widely agreed to pay me 70% of the widely royalties so ,Im not complaining.

um .....

what the fuck is "come as you are", apart from a completely unrelated song by Nirvana?

not sure, as Radiohead sucks a nut.

a half-interesting thread in afx subforums. that's new.

Actually there are always interesting threads in Aphex sub-forum, it's like the great side of WATMM. No matter how much bullshit General Banter has in it, you can always go to the Aphex sub-forum and find refuge. Apart from when there was the TUSSle

1. Xtal =>electronic symbol for oscillator

Yeah, I saw that on my great 80s tape machine - I'm kind of guessing he glanced over something similar and decided to call the track that. Not sure what it would be refering to on a tape machine though

Many of Richard's early tracks were made on reel to reel and cassette decks, and he distributed his early tracks amongst his friends on cassette.

Samantha Robinson

The same.

• 6 months later...
Guest cyphersum
"i" could just be the symbol for imaginary number

i read a long time ago in the Great Rock discography book that the track "i" was shortened from the original title "i won't let the Sun go down on me".

you can see it here about halfway down the page on the right is the discog.

Guest HokusPoker
"I don't really like words in music. It's too restricting... I don't like words in general because they mean something. Whereas electronic stuff—because it's so abstract and doesn't have any meaning...you can interpret it in so many ways."

Word.

"i" could just be the symbol for imaginary number

i read a long time ago in the Great Rock discography book that the track "i" was shortened from the original title "i won't let the Sun go down on me".

you can see it here about halfway down the page on the right is the discog.

That's obviously a mistake, accidentally cross-referenced with another, similar song title.

Archived