IGNORED

Team Fortress 2

beneboi

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good lord I remember when Team Fortress was a Quake mod. How is this only on "2"? Or do they disavow all knowledge of its Quake roots?

Team Fortress was a halflife mod, they were promising a sequel around the time counterstrike came out and its finally here

Conc jump FTW

tf was a quake mod first

ok, however this is obviously the sequel to the half life mod of the same name

edit: im wrong, this is a sequel to Team Fortress Classic, the halflife mod

Ah actually, Half Life was basically a gigantor mod of Quake 2, as it used a modified Quake 2 engine.

Quake2 was so much better though.

you dont really mean that do you? HL was leaps and bounds ahead as storytelling and immersive gaming goes.

It was all about the multiplayer man. Q2 deathmatch basically created the "star deathmatch player" (Thresh), and CTF and Rocket Arena were iconic and instrumental in the continued development of multiplayer FPS'ing. Everything else was a direct descendent of Q1 and Q2's multiplayer advancements.

Also, single player is so irrelevant anymore anyway.

HL was better than quake who cares about kudos ... we could take that argument back to doom .. or even wolfenstein .. nyar nyar .. + weapons were more intresting in a HLDM enviroment ... plus the lighting was much more naturalistic iMO ... i wasn't into the trippy pink and lime green glows everywhere and pathetic rocket jumps ...

all about the multiplayer tho delet, sure people played doom multiplayer, and it's really just a matter of it not existing at a time when the internet was very popular, but quake1+2 revolutionized how we play action games by making single player almost completely irrelevant.

wonderful .. but HLDM was more fun to play ... imO .. but with these things it can be the go with what you know thing .. so maybe the gameplay was better in the quake series .. and i'm just an HLDM fanboi ..

+ TF2 is a crock of shit .. whatever was nice about TFC they've killed (some classes are over powered .. maps too cramped .. poorly layed out) ... you can see why they've released it as a freebee add on .... seems like they haven't worked on it for a few years ... heh

Well I mean, it was Quake DM and not HL DM that gave rise to the "cyber athlete" and got people winning hundreds of thousands of dollars at gaming tourneys. It was basically all just Thresh and his amazing rail gun skills and map domination on q2dm1.

For fun (sadly nobody has a POV demo up on Youtube):

Guest Moebius
It was all about the multiplayer man. Q2 deathmatch basically created the "star deathmatch player" (Thresh), and CTF and Rocket Arena were iconic and instrumental in the continued development of multiplayer FPS'ing. Everything else was a direct descendent of Q1 and Q2's multiplayer advancements.

Er, I think you're a bit confused. All those things you mentioned - Thresh's fame, CTF, Rocket Arena - originated in Quake 1.

Er, I think you're a bit confused. All those things you mentioned - Thresh's fame, CTF, Rocket Arena - originated in Quake 1.

Indeed, Thresh only had a short amount of pwnage in Q2. It's all about Memento Mori and Shub imo :)

HL didnt mod quake 2, valve just licensed the q2 engine (gold source to be accurate). The same way that Tron didnt mod the Lithtech engine.

The source engine still retains some gold source code, even though its about 10 years old now.

sorry to get anal.

Guest Evil Sleep Ophelia
all about the multiplayer tho delet, sure people played doom multiplayer, and it's really just a matter of it not existing at a time when the internet was very popular, but quake1+2 revolutionized how we play action games by making single player almost completely irrelevant.

Single-player was only irrelevant in Quake 1 & 2 because the single-player had little to no storyline, and it was boring as shit.

Half-Life, by comparison, had a great single-player game, and once Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike came around, it became an awesome multiplayer game as well.

I realize there's a portion of shooter fans who skip over the single-player and head straight for multi-player, but the success of single-player only games like Bioshock prove that it's not irrelevant quite yet.

i was a hardcore tf (that's quake one, not that tfc half life shit) player, and my personal reason for liking the game so much was not the team oriented gameplay or anything like that, but rather the open endedness that the game unintentionally had

rocket jumps, concussion jumps etc (and when you got REAL good, you could double concussion jump up elevator shafts and shit, crazy stuff) were exploits of the gameplay that became integral to the game ...

even really hack stuff like charing up your sniper rifle and head shotting a friendly scout, where the blast damage would fire him from one sniper deck, across the map to the other - and building sentry guns in respawns, it goes on and on like that, there was so much depth to the different shit you could do

and essentially a good player could run into an enemy base, kill four of their team, steal the flag and escape all by themselves, it felt really heroic to be able to do stuff like that... bringing down their whole team by yourself. almost every class had a way of defending itself against every other class, with the exception of scout who could still concuss/caltop people and get away. you could attack as any class and have a chance.

--

TF2 is an awesome game so far, but as per any other game these days, it's been so meticulously designed that there isn't any window of exploitation / alternate gameplay other than what was intended. you can't attack as a medic because you have no offensive capabilities. unless you're a scout you can't really run into their base solo and hope to achieve much. there are no grenades. there is no real capability to duel - a lucky rocket or headshot will usually finish off your opponent, in the original game you could take several hits so a) you didnt die as much and b) you had a chance to defend yourself.

i guess i'm hoping someone makes some minor tweaks and brings it out as a mod where there are grenades / traditional tf ideas

it isn't the same game - but it is good nonetheless

I wanna get Episode 2 and Portal but I honestly have no interest in re-buying HL2 & Episode 1 again, and I'm not going to be playing TF2. Stoopid Valve, hopefully they'll release them separately....

Do you need a decent computer to run this? If my shitty laptop can play it I may as well wave goodbye to my degree right now.

no, you dont, what shitty laptop do you have?

Indeed, Thresh only had a short amount of pwnage in Q2. It's all about Memento Mori and Shub imo :)

True, but it was his pwnage in Q2 that made him a superstar. Sure it was his Q1 skills that got him there but he wasn't pulling down $100g's and getting endorsement deals because of it I'm pretty sure. Anyway though, Q1 and Q2 multiplayer dm blend together alot more than other FPS's.

Also he only had a short amount of pwnage because he retired to write gaming articles and consult for gaming compannies and all that shit. His skill were still way up top (I think he had 90%+ rail accuracy in Q2 dm, sick).

Archived