IGNORED

VSTs good for subs

Guest The Bro

Alright guys. Am looking for some free vst which give nice phat subs so far a lot of the vsts I've got seem a bit weak in the department. Cheers.

I've got some absolutely sick bass out of it, now you can hear my tracks being played from down the street

Ha ha nice one. You're getting me all excited ... I must load this up and try it. :angry:

Yeah just started playing with. Wow pretty damn beefy.

Guest pantsonmyhead

subhuman is effin sick

add baxxxpander for even more punishment

i find that tweakbench monomate is also good for basic bass rumble

for drum subs however try waldorfs Attack

thing goes well below the audible range (down to fucking 6Hz!!!) and has some nead modulation for drum sounds

also: its oscillators can be tuned to definable pitches for even more technical fuckery

if any of you are smart, and i hope you are, the only way to achieve good sub bass is to use a simple Sine wav from any synth at a low note through a lowpass filter at 200hz

you can even do this with cheesy fruity loops synths like the "3X osc"

sine.gif

if any of you are smart, and i hope you are, the only way to achieve good sub bass is to use a simple Sine wav from any synth at a low note through a lowpass filter at 200hz

Even better is to take anything modular or with a flexible mod matrix.

Take a LP Resonant filter and fijank the resonance into self-oscillation territory.

Now route your keyboard or MIDI pitch in to the filter frequency.

Hold on to your sub-cockle region.

sine.gif

sine waves aren't the same on every synth, believe it or not (i'm guessing you'll decide to not believe it)

Yah, that's why I suggested the self oscillating filter solution. It's as pure as a sine wave can get! Or at least it should be. Some are unstable, but that can be fun too.

The sine on the Moog modulars was all fucked up. Has like ten squiggles in it and the peaks look more like triangles. Might as well just put two triable outputs ;)

I wonder (but not enough to check my nord aparently) what analog modeling synths do for sine waves, since analogue synths almost never have pure sine's.

sine.gif

is an electronic music producer seriously suggesting that there is only one way that anyone should try to create a certain sound? get a fucking grip.

sine.gif

is an electronic music producer seriously suggesting that there is only one way that anyone should try to create a certain sound? get a fucking grip.

breakcore producer African American, get y0 shit strait cuh!,

I also just noticed something, why 200hz exactly Prod snafu?

My theory is that it's the resonant frequency of testicles.

best frequency for bass to me

i made a clip of a sine half with the filter and half off, you can still hear some high shrills when you don't have it on

sine.gif

breakcore producer African American, get y0 shit strait cuh!,

I also just noticed something, why 200hz exactly Prod snafu?

My theory is that it's the resonant frequency of testicles.

best frequency for bass to me

i made a clip of a sine half with the filter and half off, you can still hear some high shrills when you don't have it on

sine_with_200hz_lp_filter_and_off.mp3

Take a LP Resonant filter and fijank the resonance into self-oscillation territory.

I've done the filter thing before by mistake and achieved awesome bass... how exactly would I go about routing into the frequency (ie changing the note) though?

I've done the filter thing before by mistake and achieved awesome bass... how exactly would I go about routing into the frequency (ie changing the note) though?

Well it depends. It's easy if you have a modular synth, you just plug a card from "pitch" on your MIDI-CV into a port that controls filter freq based on voltage (best if you have a 1v/Octave port). On my Nord Modular, almost all of the filters have a buitl in keyboard track paramter so you can just have the filter freq track the keyboard pitch anyhow.

On other synths, I don't know. If you have a keyboard track function that will work obviously, others have different modulation options but you're basically looking to direct pitch to filter frequency. It will also btw, depend on the filter how stable this will track. I can get like 3 octaves I think out of the Dotcom's filter before it really doesn't track pitch acurately, milage will vary depending on your filter.

Well it depends. It's easy if you have a modular synth, you just plug a card from "pitch" on your MIDI-CV into a port that controls filter freq based on voltage (best if you have a 1v/Octave port). On my Nord Modular, almost all of the filters have a buitl in keyboard track paramter so you can just have the filter freq track the keyboard pitch anyhow.

On other synths, I don't know. If you have a keyboard track function that will work obviously, others have different modulation options but you're basically looking to direct pitch to filter frequency. It will also btw, depend on the filter how stable this will track. I can get like 3 octaves I think out of the Dotcom's filter before it really doesn't track pitch acurately, milage will vary depending on your filter.

Well, I was talking more in a software environment than a hardware one... I'm sure with some more fiddling I'll sort it out some day

Well, which software? In Reaktor it'd be dead simple, though I'm not sure if any of its filters will self oscillate.

I think your new analog synth might be able to self oscillate but I wouldn't expect any routing options to allow you to control the freq from the keyboard

Guest welcome to the machine

I'm sceptical at the EXCLUSIVE use of a sin wave. and as for filtering above 200hz, if it was a pure sin, why bother? its the same as saying use a sin wave but dont play above the G below middle C. If the reason for doing this is a timbre thing then surely that must INVITE the concept that the given sin wave sounds different when filtered in that way, ie, its not a sin wave (truly, I mean). because for that filtering to have a timbre effect means that different harmonics are going on above the 'sin's' fundamental?

I think subtle distortion can improve a sin sub myself, as well as alot of other little tweaks etc that i'm sure you all know about. I tend to use the muon Tau Pro quite a bit for subs, it's generally nice and punchy with good high harmonics (if you need em). You can start with the preset 'ultralow subbass' and go from there

Good god, look at that chart up there. That man definitely knows something about music.

*sets up powerpoint presentation*

Archived