IGNORED

ableton? Logic? something else?

hayhook

Looking to buy some music production program for my mac and am wondering what you all prefer and why?

i had fruity loops and soundforge on my old vaio but only garageband on this mac and I hate it.

thanks for your help.

got myself Pro Tools, but if i didn't have that it'd be Logic. don't know what the advantages of Logic are as everyone seems to use it, but Pro Tools is much cheaper and you get the hardware interface with it. it actually doesn't run without hardware.

got myself Pro Tools, but if i didn't have that it'd be Logic. don't know what the advantages of Logic are as everyone seems to use it, but Pro Tools is much cheaper and you get the hardware interface with it. it actually doesn't run without hardware.

As far as MIDI sequencing goes, Pro Tools is such a big piece of polished shit. It hogs RAM like a bastard, too. While Logic isn't specifically designed for wave form editing, it performs okay in that area, but completely kicks the shit out of PT for sequencing.

By the way, having to use the M-Box is a con, this means if you use a laptop, you can't just open it up anywhere and program, you have to carry a goddamn audio interface around with you, which means you'll absolutely need to find an outlet somewhere. Sorry if this comes off as overly critical, but I was forced to buy Pro Tools LE for my major's bundle instead of Logic.

And LE sucks compared to HD.

braintree is pretty much right. do you mainly do MIDI sequencing and some audio, or mainly audio, and some MIDI sequencing? (Although now Protools has a usb sized dongle/interface that you can use, instead of a big interface)

If you do MIDI stuff, go for Logic.

If you do extensive audio stuff, consider Protools (although Logic still aint bad with audio, but pro tools is definitely streamlined to do just that).

Logic recently had a price cut from $1000 to $500 dollars, which makes it a fucking steal, as you get not only a sequencer and audio station, but it comes with more than enough plugins to be just fine with. they range from decent, to fucking awesome. Sculpture (a physical modeling synth) is amazing, and you wont find anything else out there like it. Ultrabeat is a really nice drum synth. The ES2 is a pretty solid typical Synth. Right there, you're doing great, but there is a sampler, many other little synths, vintage emulations of old keyboards (organs/electric pianos) and EQs, compressors, etc etc etc.

If you can't tell, I use Logic. I love it. Like anything, it has its weaknesses, but overall, I'd say its the best value, and lends itself to electronic music production.

Have any other questions, let me know.

lol.

if you ask for recommendations, peole usually just tell you what they use.

i use cubasesx and sometimes ableton.

what you really need to do is think about your working methods, and the results you want, and then pick up a daw that's suitable for your personal workflow.

pretty much all the decent sequencer tools are as capable of each other in terms of producing professional results (yes, even fruity loops). just depends how you work.

i like cubase... it's ugly, but it does everything i need it to do and more. plus i've been using steinberg software for about twenty years now, and i'm used to the various steinbergisms.

i'd say ableton..

but as logan said, people will only recoomend what they use

so for me i use hardware 60% and ableton %40

i have used pro tools on macs when i was at college and basically wether it was my lack of knowlege back then i couldnt get on with it,

but what im doing now is using ableton mainly for midi sequencing, much like protools, and when 100% midi/sample tracks are made it does what it needs to.. the hw latency is solid as well, i use a yammaha x16 usb/midi lead and its normally tight all of the time..

i can also pull out mylaptop on the bus and crack out a trak on ableton without hardware

I think it's rather implied that people will post what they use... because they LIKE it enough to USE it.

And of course there will be different opinions on it... which it's more help to not only say what you use, but WHY (ie features, functions, any other thing that you think makes it unique).

Just posting "logic" would be pretty useless, besides an arbitrary singular vote.

If you're really trying to help someone make up their mind on what to get, be useful and explain why.

imo.

Archived