Guest The Vidiot

Guest Panoptimist

Jean-Paul Sartre: Being and Nothingness

Jean-Paul Sartre: Between Existentialism and Marxism

Norman Mailer: Miami and the Siege of Chicago

Well, looks like we have a highbrow here.

Dostoeivski - The Idiot.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby

Wanted to read this before I watched the film... should be a nice, short read.

ive never read on the road. seems like everyone in the world has read it but ive always avoided it for some reason.

william burroughs has always been my beat author of choice.

Edited by Z_B_Z

recently read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, my favorite book ever.

then Outer Dark by McCarthy.

then To The White Sea by James Dickey, which i loved.

and just finished Diary by Chuck Palahnuik, and i didn't think i'd like it when first into it, but it's grown on me and i think about it quite often.

i have a few choices, all of them i am equally excited about:

Mosaic Man by Ronald Sukenick

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

the Miles Davis Autobiography that Vasquez sent me that i've heard much about from many people since getting it... edit: wait, i don't remember if it was Vasquez or someone else... shit !

Edited by Luke Fucking Hazard

the Miles Davis Autobiography that Vasquez sent me that i've heard much about from many people since getting it...

amazing book. many lols too. miles' coked out paranoid period has some crazy stories. also, every other word is 'motherfucker'.

aside from loving 'black saint and the sinner lady', i dont know that much about mingus. perhaps ill check it out

oh, you have to read it, it's a classic. Called "Beneath the Underdog". The cool thing is his wife wrote her own book a few years back. It covers a different time frame than his book, mostly, but is also very well written in a totally different way. They are good counterparts to each other.

cool, ill keep it in mind.

do you happen to know of any decent bios on coltrane? i know there no autobiography, but hes such a towering figure and i feel like i have to have some in depth knowledge of him.

some great comments on coltrane in miles autobio (obviously)

Edited by Z_B_Z

Charles Mingus' autobio is definitely worth a read if you haven't yet.

agreed... great read though it's a bit all over the place at times.

Guest Panoptimist

Well, looks like we have a highbrow here.

Dostoeivski - The Idiot.

Awesome.

I'm actually in a Russian Lit. class right now, however our focus is on modern Russian literature (1890-1970). I'm certainly intrigued by Mayakovsky.

Edited by Panoptimist

I'm actually in a Russian Lit. class right now, however our focus is on modern Russian literature (1890-1970). I'm certainly intrigued by Mayakovsky.

checked out bulgakov yet? master and margarita would be the obvious choice, great fun and also a very pretty piece of literature.

Guest Panoptimist

checked out bulgakov yet? master and margarita would be the obvious choice, great fun and also a very pretty piece of literature.

I believe that might be the specific title we are going to be reading in our study of Bulgakov in the weeks to come. I have no prior knowledge of the author or his work.

Edited by Panoptimist

Guest MajaIloveyou

Finished "it" :flower:

In time to start this book i waited for so long. I looked everywhere and no bookstore had any copies left, so i had to order it. 1 week later, its finally in my hands. i first went trough all the illustrations, slowly and looking at every detail, and just a few days ago i began reading. it's a total mindfuck, i'm not even halfway done but i've already consumed so many new concepts and things to discuss, which i've been doing lately. Plus, i always go back to re-read some pages because i have no clue what i just read. Anyway, the book in question is:

nilcuo2.jpg

Guest MajaIloveyou
Maja, wtf, give me a link to a wikipedia page or sumptin.

There's no articles about it on wiki, or much info on google either sorry :(

exponilc.jpg

^Those cookies are a recurring theme in the Book's concept, they are made of shit.

The title is New interterritorial Language Committee

Edited by MajaIloveyou

In a variety of media and supersaturated colors, artist Ventura explores the more coercive sides of family and society, and the ways in which they form the limits of identity. In this catalogue prepared by a Mexican publisher, a terrific essay by PW's Calvin Reid, titled "Tumorous Growths and Hangdog Neurotics," describes Ventura's background (gay, Puerto Rican, raised in Germany, based in Mexico City and New York) and takes a tour through Ventura's oeuvre, finding an artist "fixated on Orwellian social control" who is "equally concerned with a primal state of innocence and childlike developmental receptivity." It's a heady combination, as revealed in the plethora of color photos documenting Ventura's performances and living installations of families in underwear-like uniforms, frolicking unnaturally around creepily heightened domestic spaces (and eating some nasty-looking stuff). His experiments with orthography and full-blown language invention cannot be summarized here, but they are beautifully represented. There are four essays total and an extensive interview; all appear in Spanish and in English. The whole makes for an extremely satisfying overview of a maverick artist.

Is this it?

Guest MajaIloveyou
In a variety of media and supersaturated colors, artist Ventura explores the more coercive sides of family and society, and the ways in which they form the limits of identity. In this catalogue prepared by a Mexican publisher, a terrific essay by PW's Calvin Reid, titled "Tumorous Growths and Hangdog Neurotics," describes Ventura's background (gay, Puerto Rican, raised in Germany, based in Mexico City and New York) and takes a tour through Ventura's oeuvre, finding an artist "fixated on Orwellian social control" who is "equally concerned with a primal state of innocence and childlike developmental receptivity." It's a heady combination, as revealed in the plethora of color photos documenting Ventura's performances and living installations of families in underwear-like uniforms, frolicking unnaturally around creepily heightened domestic spaces (and eating some nasty-looking stuff). His experiments with orthography and full-blown language invention cannot be summarized here, but they are beautifully represented. There are four essays total and an extensive interview; all appear in Spanish and in English. The whole makes for an extremely satisfying overview of a maverick artist.

Is this it?

Yes that's it :)