IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

i want his new book really but 'd have to buy it on import. bah

Loughborough :S

Not a million miles from here actually. What's the deal awkward? I understand you're a UK bloke relocated to the US?

exactly. born and bred just outside loughborough, met a lovely american lovely and upped and moved here.

Guest endangered betche

Orcs by Stan Nicholls

Apparently he's supposed to be the shit in the UK and this is the book that's going to break him to an American audience. Was three books but they omnibused it for this release. Very readable and interesting so far, but nothing groundbreaking. Told primarily from the orcs' pov.

Edited by endangered betche

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Time out of Joint by Phillip K Dick

And I learned this searching for my avatar -- do NOT search 'pkd' on google image search.

Edited by Great Maker ShaiHulud

I've seen more than one person complain about not being able to find PKD books. Are Powells.com and amazon not enough?

I also swing by the Goodwill on my way home from work every few days - I've gotten 7 or 8 Dick novels in good condition there. As well as virtually everything ever published by Gene Wolfe. (!)

Tell me about your mother . . .

When replicant Leon responds to bladerunner Holden’s question ‘let me tell you about my mother ... [shots propel Holden through the plate glass window into the street many floors below]’, the bullets may not offer stories of his mother, but the unmistakable technological phenotype of their impact etches Leon’s military-industrial genealogy in scar tissue over Holden’s damaged body. The point is that, qua organism, the replicant is an orphan, or what amounts to the same thing, has no exclusivist claim to, no biunivocal bit-map of his progeniture, issuing instead from an institutional-techincal matrix and not a couple. Leon has no mother, only a matrix of industrial-military technologies .

the kite runner -

just started this as i'm reading yes man with my wife concurrently and shes got behind so shes got first book choice and she had kite runner for college reading and my best mate said it was good. s'good so far.

finished yesterday in a 2 day binge reading session. a real page turner, i actually cared about the coward. i don't understand why thy didnt wear gloves though.

danny wallace - yes man

being made intoa film with jim carrey too apparently. not sure if thats good or bad but the book is great.

fuck just watched the trailer for the movie. they removed the spiritual side of it - the guy on the bus, and put in a healer or some bullshit. carrey tries to do funny faces :~ and they americanized it. shame shame. why am i still surprised when they fuck shit up?

just finished 'until i find you' by john irving... pretty good.

previously, 'the time travellers wife', superb, can't for the moment remember who wrote it.

prior, 'setting free the bears' also by john irving. one of his weirder books, and apparently a favourite of kurt vonnegut. didn't do much for me except ellicit a bit of a WTF?