IGNORED

Quaristice 2nd disc review

Guest dangulberry

Guest Chogg

Screw that, I just got the files! Woooot *jizzes everywhere*

PS long version of the PlcCpCpclCllC whatever is much, much better than the short one.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Screw that, I just got the files! Woooot *jizzes everywhere*

PS long version of the PlcCpCpclCllC whatever is much, much better than the short one.

word

the bass that starts after the vocals cut out makes me make big faces

i think, if this bonus disc had been released as the main album, it would have appeared the more logical progression from Untilted; perhaps that's as good a reason as any for Autechre not to have done that • The trouble is though, without wishing to take anything away from Quaristice, the bonus disc begs questions that the main album does not • While Quaristice is a confident, emphatic statement of where Autechre find themselves at the present time, the bonus disc somewhat pulls the rug from this certainty, proposing that they are less poised to move forward into new territories than we thought • Not that this is vital for an artist to do with every release; it's just that Quaristice, by itself, does give that impression • In this sense only, the bonus disc suggests disappointment

The bonus disc is mainly extended versions of tracks that already exist on the first CD. A few new tracks, Some different ideas, some tracks are actually improvements than the ones that already existed (Perlence).

I don't see what you mean by CD2 suggests that they "are less poised to move forward into new territories". Do you think some parts of CD2 sounds similar to previous releases? Are you talking a specific track? Or is it a reference the track times on CD1 being shorter?

On the bonus disc they are still exploring the same territory as Quaristice, so I don't see how that could detract from Quaristice in any way or suggest they aren't moving forward. I would even say they have been pretty ruthless in the editing of the tracks to get running time shorter, and that in itself is fairly new territory for Ae.

Guest Chogg

Dear Autechre, I don't get it. You give us these amazing longer/varied versions of Quaristice tracks, and yet you make Altichyre so PAINFULLY short.

By far the most beautiful melody on this collection, imho. Needs to be about 10 minutes long, or looped eternally.

I also am loving the longer section of ambience in that lovely melody of Chenc9's....but I'm not so sure about the 'x' tagged on to chenc9....I did not enjoy that whole business at the end.

yeah i think Chenc9x was kind of a WTF moment for me, the ending is possibly the most masturbatory AE work ever besides perhaps the tracks on the last Gescom EP. They literally recycle the lead melody from perlence in a very real-time fashion.

elements of 'chenc9' do appear in perlence rangelife3 though. do you think the outro to chenc9x is masturbatory, or possibly lazy/tacked on-feeling? i like how they sorta blended the main rhythmic figure of chenc9 w/the listless churn of perlence towards the end of it

i think, if this bonus disc had been released as the main album, it would have appeared the more logical progression from Untilted; perhaps that's as good a reason as any for Autechre not to have done that • The trouble is though, without wishing to take anything away from Quaristice, the bonus disc begs questions that the main album does not • While Quaristice is a confident, emphatic statement of where Autechre find themselves at the present time, the bonus disc somewhat pulls the rug from this certainty, proposing that they are less poised to move forward into new territories than we thought • Not that this is vital for an artist to do with every release; it's just that Quaristice, by itself, does give that impression • In this sense only, the bonus disc suggests disappointment

The bonus disc is mainly extended versions of tracks that already exist on the first CD. A few new tracks, Some different ideas, some tracks are actually improvements than the ones that already existed (Perlence).

I don't see what you mean by CD2 suggests that they "are less poised to move forward into new territories". Do you think some parts of CD2 sounds similar to previous releases? Are you talking a specific track? Or is it a reference the track times on CD1 being shorter?

On the bonus disc they are still exploring the same territory as Quaristice, so I don't see how that could detract from Quaristice in any way or suggest they aren't moving forward. I would even say they have been pretty ruthless in the editing of the tracks to get running time shorter, and that in itself is fairly new territory for Ae.

Well, that was a fucking waste of time.

Pffffffft.

Guest Chogg

I dunno, once I had the bonus disc tracks I replaced the album versions with them in my ipod playlist (with the exception of the radically different ones: sonDEre-ix/ 90210 whatever) and I like this much better. Don't see much point in listening to the other versions anymore.

The extra melody in Tankraken freaked me out on the bus the other day! I kept thinking, "where is that coming from"?

And I've changed my mind about Altichyre. Would be nice if the production wasn't shit.

I really wasnt very impressed by the 2nd CD when I first heard it. Was kinda hoping for brand new sounding stuff & at first thought this is pretty much the same as the first disc & was disapointed.

But listening to it more & I fuking love it! might even prefer it to the 1st disc but nore sure yet. Is strange how listening to this it does feel like a completely different album to be me now really.

Highlights for me are flo4 (tho again wasnt impressed by this at all to start with but now it proper blows me away!) and the new vesrion of PLC. But the whole thing fuking rocks.

Think its shit them putting this out as a ltd edtion tho in away. think this double disc should have been released properly

Archived