IGNORED

fuck about

Guest Ultravisitor

Guest Ultravisitor

their set at the big chill was sickening

awesome av show

they played: (started with) whites dream, itsu, rats steps and several other awesome tracks

then they had some dancers do this crazy dance at the end of their show. bloody amazing

also.....trentemoller ruined my brain, i was not expecting all that lovely glitch. trentemollers performance was catching up with the 3 times i've seen autechre. it was that good.

they're releasing a cd of trentemollers gig at the big chill. get it, you'll see what i mean

Guest Ultravisitor

yeah man, they played it. i remember seeing the same visuals.

god dammit, i really want to listen/watch that again.

Nice one. That's a good sign that it will more than likely be on Scinitilli

Great tune, it has Plaid written all over it. I have been posting that youtube link so many times in this subforum.

Guest dadominate

did they play this awesome track?

as much as i like the much-admired track everyone is clamoring about, i think this one may be even better! i hope it's on scintilli...

Guest PusillanimousRex

About two months or so.

To be honest, I think Warp makes their life difficult. I don't believe their label gives them much respect, and I get the impression they meddle a lot. There's been quite a bit of evidence for this over the years, but I specifically remember a paragraph at one time in a Plaid interview where they stated that the mucky-mucks at Warp forced (my words, not theirs) them to perform surgery on Spokes so as to make it more digestible, which I think is a terrible mistake and completely flies in the face of Warp's repeated statements about respecting their artists' visions 100%.

Ed & Andy seem extremely good-natured and willing to put up with this sort of thing, but I think they should find a new label. It's not like there aren't hundreds out there that would snatch them up in a second.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before, and it sheds some light on why there's still nothing on the release of Scintilli. Much as I love Spokes as it is (albeit interfered in), from what you say maybe they could benefit from a move away from Warp. From the amount of unheard tracks that they always seem to play out (I think I only recognised four at a Nottingham show last year) and the number of their live performances each year, I feel that they could be even more prolific in terms of the number of their actual releases than they have been in recent years (although they did release two albums in 2006, of course) without compromising quality. With their remixes as well, they're certainly no slouches. Also, if their freedom is compromised, it'd be interesting to hear what they'd come up with now without any constraints.

Guest PusillanimousRex

I know there was also some trouble with Greedy Baby, though I'm not sure exactly what that was. Between the time it was finished and ready to go and the time it was actually released, there was a ridiculous delay which even Plaid themselves didn't seem to be able to explain, as I mostly gleaned from Bob Jaroc's site. It was just Warp's "approval" process, really. What's to approve? The band wants to release something, they submit it, you release it. Would they jerk Ae or AFX or *shudder* BoC around like that? Doubtful.

There was a video made for Zeal shortly after the album was released featuring an extended outro that I suspect was the original version of the track pre-interference. While it wasn't such a significant difference, it was still obviously more involved than the album version, and more interesting. I believe the exact quote about the Spokes editing process was "removing extreme emotional content". What the justification for that?

There was a video made for Zeal shortly after the album was released featuring an extended outro that I suspect was the original version of the track pre-interference.

I do remember playing that, and wondering why there were two different versions (quite conspicuous as I remember, I doubt that it's still on Warp's site though). And there was certainly an inordinate delay in Greedy Baby surfacing.

Guest dadominate

though both were fitting in their own way, i much prefer the ending to the zeal video... a darker, more interesting conclusion imo.

i have never heard of any interference issues with plaid and warp, but the more i think about what you guys are saying the more it seems possible. tons of unreleased material during live sets, long delays on album releases, not to mention warp's recent history of meddling.

anyone want to make a snap prediction on the release date of scintilli? though it is based solely on my hope that we won't have to wait much longer, i am going to say this october...

Archived