IGNORED

buying an external HD

SR4

please recommend me, i bought an old maxtor 200gig, its huge heavy and looks like crap and i want one of these new sleeker, more inexpensive ones.

which one is the best bang for my buck? im looking for a capacity upgrade, but nothing too crazy (maybe 300-500 gigs), and one with a nice life expectancy.

Iomega Zip Drives are pretty cheap I guess nowadays

no My Books, that's all I can say. And buy two HD, one as a backup of the other. That you keep elsewhere. Perfect 100% backup material, unless you're unfuckinglucky. Buy a lottery ticket if both die at the same time.

Guest beatfanatic

make sure you get atleast a 500GB, trust me you think 205GB will be enough because you will never fill it up but then it happens sooner than you expect and then you are looking to buy a new hard drive like i am.

got myself a Buffalo 160GB 'bumper body' at DeoDeo last summer for about Y12000. its USB2, pretty fast, watch films straight off of it no problem. smaller than a snes cart and probably lighter too. i would have gone for the firewire model but i was feeling cheap that day and didnt want to spend Y6000+ just for firewire. i'd recommend it for sure.

the maxtor hd i have is 200 and its about full.

i really only use it for music and floops/reason files...thats about it...no movies or anything.

If you buy an external HD to put your music files, do you acept the risk of losing everything if your external HD stops working? Because it will, someday. Much more sooner than you think. A couple of years, perhaps one or two. You never know.

That's why I say buy two of them.

If you buy an external HD to put your music files, do you acept the risk of losing everything if your external HD stops working? Because it will, someday. Much more sooner than you think. A couple of years, perhaps one or two. You never know.

That's why I say buy two of them.

i already have a maxtor 200 gig hard drive. im looking for another one, which would make the total of drives i have up to two

also, i keep the floop and reason files on my laptop as well, so that would be three backups.

i bought a cavalry brand 1TB usb/esata drive a couple weeks back and it's still working.

jesus christ! what do you put on there/how much of it is filled?

I'm into Lacie. I have 5 or 6 of the big disks. They are great for video editing because the data transfer rate is really fast ant i takes firewire 800 cables. They're a tad heavy but do the trick. Porsche designed a smaller Lacie HD that is potable. If you just need something for storage, that is a nice one.

Guest Al Hounos

i'm not sure i understand external HDs too much. if you really need the portability thats cool but you can get an internal 500GB HD for like $60 nowadays.

ended up buyin this guy:

Western Digital mini 320 gig thing....its as big as an ipod...pretty cool.

yeah , that was gonna be my suggestion, i have four of them... usb powered and low power cycles keeps them cool under pressure = less chance of a melt down. :kiss:

Guest hahathhat

at a place i worked we had a problem with the lacies

they were metal, no fan, no vents, heated up somethin srs. we had multiple drives melt into the spots they were sitting on. this was funny until they stopped working.

i have an external 300gb drive. i use this for movies on my xbox, bringing files around wherever, visiting friends, travelling with my laptop, etc. i bought the enclosure and the drive seperately, it has crazy bubble lights. all the enclosures were the same price so i went riced

the 1TB cavalry is sleek functional dull. i use it for backing up all of those computers. it's what i will grab (with my laptop) if the house is on fire. it's full, almost, but there's duplicate shit i need to organize it.....

Guest bitroast
Iomega Zip Drives are pretty cheap I guess nowadays

hey, i had a zip drive back in the day. it was a pretty sweet deal if it wasn't for the fact the drive died out and destroyed any disk you put in it. that thing was death.

Hey, not to bring you down but yeah my 500gb mybook broke down totally some time ago and I was not able to restore data via the "restore"-program that came with it. Yesterday a friend of mine said that her HDD - also a 500gb mybook-thingie - was falling apart.

After this I have no trust whatsoever, in Western Digital, tho I hope that your choice of hard-drive is more up to date with being all secure and non-self-destructive as mine and my friend's wasn't.

Somehow I feel that smaller 2,5" externals have a smaller chance of failure than 3,5" ones - ?

Archived