IGNORED

So whats next?

pissflaps

Guest hahathhat
possibly excepting a very experienced drummer that gets into midi triggers and max/msp -- does that sort of experience translate?? i'm curious -- i agree that you need to work on electronic music for years to get to that level. however, i still don't share your pessimism regarding peoples' tastes. yet...

I don't think that would translate much, tbh. And from my experience, yes, people tastes is just depressing overally (as someone who is not into electronic music). I've tried to introduce your "average Joe" to some of the most friendly aphex and squarepusher works and the result is always the one you can imagine.

I've found it goes better when you're sneaky about it. I snuck a few of the Druqks tracks into a Christmas mix, for instance, and that went over quite smoothly. When you sit someone down and make a point of the tune, their state of mind will be a lot more defensive and critical, I wager. It helps massively to catch people off guard, and to put it in the proper context at the proper time -- how's your DJ nose?

A slight aside, as this isn't relevant to drill/jungle trax -- doesn't AFX make loads from licensing? Hell, I've heard Analords in CSI... even if this doesn't consciously register, it gets beamed into the brains of millions, potentially percolates back out into other music...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't DJ, so I couldn't drop any track like that.

The fact that Richard makes a living (and I guess he is a millionaire by now) out of his music, considering his really non-mainstream output its kinda wicked. I mean, he has basically 24 hours of free time, since he does what you said to get most of the money (licensing etc), a couple of gigs from time to time, and then selling records. And he has been like that for all his life... I wonder if talented people for this had it as easy we would see a lot more amazing talents poping up more frequently. Of course you have to be really good from the start, but I think Richard had good luck and just played his cards right.

Guest hahathhat
I don't DJ, so I couldn't drop any track like that.

well, i can't DJ either (making a mix with a CD burner doesn't take any practice), i was just referencing what i feel is the core magic of any good DJ -- deeply feeling the vibe, the situation, the mood, and matching a track to that. doing a mix is about predicting how peoples' moods and emotions will go, considering how each track affects that flow.

point being -- i'm wagering a good tac is to try to get listeners to naturally slide into the state of mind you slide into when you put on go plastic. it's like how you should stretch/warmup before working out, lest you pull a muscle.

the other end of it is like when you go to the doctor, and the doc says, "hey, look over there!!" when you turn to look, he gives you the shot. winds up not being as bad as when you know it's coming... you'll really understand this analogy if you have a reputation amongst your mates for liking weird music.

I wonder if talented people for this had it as easy we would see a lot more amazing talents poping up more frequently.

success can be good or bad, depending on the sort of person you are. i look back over my life, and it seems i've done my best music when i'm threatened with, or am in the process of losing my shit. when things are copacetic, i'm not very driven, simply because... why do it today when i can have a smoke and do it tomorrow? when i am threatened with losing the personal time/space required to do music, my interest in it skyrockets. i value it a lot more, and make much better use of it. however, this has a limit -- when things are 100% turd, i don't get anything done either, because i'm either dealing with getting it together or the resulting emotional fallout. i guess it boils down to: i need to feel threatened but not doomed.

maybe this has something to do with afx + pusher's more laid back output, as of late.

Guest JohnTqs

if i had a ton of fans that were begging for my next album i would enjoy making the music so much more, and i wouldn't procrastinate making it like i usually do. of course i love making music either way but being signed, having people review my albums, or having fans would make me much more motivated to make the songs.

Guest hahathhat
if i had a ton of fans that were begging for my next album i would enjoy making the music so much more, and i wouldn't procrastinate making it like i usually do. of course i love making music either way but being signed, having people review my albums, or having fans would make me much more motivated to make the songs.

Yeah, it'd really motivate me too.... but only for a few years, I wager, at which point I'd have gotten used to it. People can get used to anything.

Guest JohnTqs

Yeah, it'd really motivate me too.... but only for a few years, I wager, at which point I'd have gotten used to it. People can get used to anything.

i guess you just gotta say "if i fuck around, i'll have fun now, but if i work on this track, i'll have more fun, possibly learn something new, and get one step closer to being a rock star"

Guest hahathhat

i guess you just gotta say "if i fuck around, i'll have fun now, but if i work on this track, i'll have more fun, possibly learn something new, and get one step closer to being a rock star"

who says i give a shit about being a rock star?

truth be told, i'd be happiest living in a shack with all my gizmos and a few close friends.

wouldn't be the most motivated, though...

Guest JohnTqs

who says i give a shit about being a rock star?

truth be told, i'd be happiest living in a shack with all my gizmos and a few close friends.

wouldn't be the most motivated, though...

oh come on dude, every one wants to be a rock star once in their life. of course i would be happy with being the mountain man and just chill with my gear. but then i would never get any recognition for my work, which would suck.

Guest hahathhat
oh come on dude, every one wants to be a rock star once in their life. of course i would be happy with being the mountain man and just chill with my gear. but then i would never get any recognition for my work, which would suck.

i understand where you're coming from. you are speaking of when you hear clapton play guitar and it makes you want to play guitar, be on stage playing that shit and just wailing. i understand that, and of course i have felt it. there will always be a little part of me that wishes he were eric fucking clapton.

but i'm not. i've come to terms with that. i'm an intensely shy and introspective nerd, and i'd be shit at being a rock star. to be honest, i often feel uncomfortable when i'm the center of attention. the few small tastes of fame i've had all rubbed me the wrong way. regarding recognition, what would make me happy in the long run is the respect of people i respect -- other musicians, artists, writers, (wo)men of distinction.

Guest JohnTqs

i understand where you're coming from. you are speaking of when you hear clapton play guitar and it makes you want to play guitar, be on stage playing that shit and just wailing. i understand that, and of course i have felt it. there will always be a little part of me that wishes he were eric fucking clapton.

but i'm not. i've come to terms with that. i'm an intensely shy and introspective nerd, and i'd be shit at being a rock star. to be honest, i often feel uncomfortable when i'm the center of attention. the few small tastes of fame i've had all rubbed me the wrong way. regarding recognition, what would make me happy in the long run is the respect of people i respect -- other musicians, artists, writers, (wo)men of distinction.

i don't really mean "rock star" as in eric clapton, i mean anyone playing any type of instrument, laptop or not, in an enormous arena, with a shitload of people gushing over them and going bonkers.

and i agree with you. the biggest show i ever played was about a 300-350 people gig, but nobody had ever heard of me, or liked the music. the smallest show i ever played was an open mic with 20 people, and 2 of them had heard of me and had come to see me. i would rather play the open mic anyday. because when you're a rockstar you play the huge gigs, and tons of people actually want to hear you play. that open mic was the closest i've gotten to being a rock star.

*tear*

Guest hahathhat
i don't really mean "rock star" as in eric clapton, i mean anyone playing any type of instrument, laptop or not, in an enormous arena, with a shitload of people gushing over them and going bonkers.

i don't really mean eric clapton either, i mean... exactly what you said. i may as well have said [eric clapton class badass]. i want to know kung fu like neo in the matrix. i want to program drums like afx. i want to play guitar like eric clapton. i want to play jungle bass like squarepusher.

and i agree with you. the biggest show i ever played was about a 300-350 people gig, but nobody had ever heard of me, or liked the music. the smallest show i ever played was an open mic with 20 people, and 2 of them had heard of me and had come to see me. i would rather play the open mic anyday. because when you're a rockstar you play the huge gigs, and tons of people actually want to hear you play. that open mic was the closest i've gotten to being a rock star.

*tear*

once, i did a little performance for some friends + some of friends' friends. to my chagrin i freaked out, the normally fun act of dancing around my knobs became incredibly tense and nerve-wracking.

even in front of my favorite person, who i have been fucking for almost a year, i still feel intensely self-conscious performing.

this all gets better as i age and refine... but, at the end of the day, if i am ever a public musical figure, i'll be the sort that occasionally shows up with a completed album and otherwise hides.

Guest JohnTqs

*tear*

once, i did a little performance for some friends + some of friends' friends. to my chagrin i freaked out, the normally fun act of dancing around my knobs became incredibly tense and nerve-wracking.

even in front of my favorite person, who i have been fucking for almost a year, i still feel intensely self-conscious performing.

this all gets better as i age and refine... but, at the end of the day, if i am ever a public musical figure, i'll be the sort that occasionally shows up with a completed album and otherwise hides.

that's not very unusual, i feel the same way. it's kind of fun though, isn't it?

Guest hahathhat

it wasn't fun at all, but i think i know what you're getting at. despite how totally shit it went, i'm eager to give it another go. but also terrified...

excitement, adrenaline, i guess is what's going down there.

it's human to seek out ways to scare the shit out of yourself.

Guest Calx Sherbet

explain this torrent i found

Tom goes south : Country the way it was meant to be

My red hot rusty pickup

Nashville occident

Go South!

My exploding grill

I wish i had teeth

mississippi delta way

tow truck

my fuckin' banjo

corn row freeway

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AOOproductions

*tear*

that's not very unusual, i feel the same way. it's kind of fun though, isn't it?

hey even afx was a little bitch hiding behind the boards in his early days. No he isnt afraid to do a nice fist pump for the crowd.

Guest AOOproductions

I think squarepusher is just gonna keep doing more Jazz fusions. Especially in light of him touring with evan parker, and touring with a actual drummer.

Archived