IGNORED

all right, african-americans

playbynumbers

maybe listen to less music? go rediscover your record collection.

a very good point; and actually i've been doing this for three months, like diving back into my old music (i haven't bought new music since november); but this can only take me so far!

as for what i'm looking for; anything good. i can't think of any genre that i completely hate ... in general, i guess i'm mostly into dub/techno/electronic music, and then 'indie' rock (i.e. good music that has guitars in it, i'm not sure what else to call it).

Guest nene multiple assgasms

grachan moncur III - evolution

cecil taylor - jazz advance

sun ra - angels and demons at play/the nubians of plutonia

Portion of my playlist right now :

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen

M83 - Saturdays=Youth

Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night

Antony & the Johnsons - The Crying Light

Ratatat - LP3

Hercules And Love Affair - Hercules And Love Affair

Junior Boys - Begone Dull Care

Some Kate Bush, some Brian Eno, some Cocteau Twins ?

If you're into dub/techno stuff, then you could try some of the following (of course, if you're into this stuff there is a good chance you've heard these already):

Intrusion - Seduction of Silence (and/or the relevant 12"s)

Murmur - Undertone

Shackleton, Applebim, Peverelist - all sorts of skull disco stuff; the recent 'Soundboy's Gravestone Gets Desecrated By Vandals' is a good collection

Mike Ink (Wolfgang Voigt) - Studio 1, which was just reissued

Convextion- s/t

Ricardo Villalobos - Vasco

I've also enjoyed The Sight Below's album Glider, though it is a bit too reminiscent of Gas (sometimes I fear he is to Gas what Tycho is to BoC); raster-noton has had some great releases recently, same with miasmah; and if you're looking for something completely different, the new KTL is one of the better noise/doom albums to come out recently

Guest dese manz hatin
Portion of my playlist right now :

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen

M83 - Saturdays=Youth

Herbie Hancock - Thrust

Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night

Antony & the Johnsons - The Crying Light

Ratatat - LP3

Hercules And Love Affair - Hercules And Love Affair

Junior Boys - Begone Dull Care

Some Kate Bush, some Brian Eno, some Cocteau Twins ?

was gonna say this as well... in fact every lp ratatat ever made.

loud pipes/wild cat/seventeen years FTW

If you're into dub/techno stuff, then you could try some of the following (of course, if you're into this stuff there is a good chance you've heard these already):

Intrusion - Seduction of Silence (and/or the relevant 12"s)

Murmur - Undertone

Shackleton, Applebim, Peverelist - all sorts of skull disco stuff; the recent 'Soundboy's Gravestone Gets Desecrated By Vandals' is a good collection

Mike Ink (Wolfgang Voigt) - Studio 1, which was just reissued

Convextion- s/t

Ricardo Villalobos - Vasco

I've also enjoyed The Sight Below's album Glider, though it is a bit too reminiscent of Gas (sometimes I fear he is to Gas what Tycho is to BoC); raster-noton has had some great releases recently, same with miasmah; and if you're looking for something completely different, the new KTL is one of the better noise/doom albums to come out recently

i have unfortunately already heard all of those things ... there's just not enough really good dub techno, the genre is very wide but very shallow

• 2 weeks later...
maybe listen to less music? go rediscover your record collection.

a very good point; and actually i've been doing this for three months, like diving back into my old music (i haven't bought new music since november); but this can only take me so far!

lol, seeing as your mp3 collection seems to contain everything in the known universe, do you really need anything new? Also please go raise hell in the philosophy thread

townes van zandt

good call. his music cuts so close to the bone its almost scary. ive never heard a purer songwriter.

this clip just stuns me everytime i see it. apparently he wrote this song when he was 21. i was reading the comments, and one user hit the nail on the head - "how does a 21 year old kid make an 80 year old man cry?". van zandt was a towering, baffling figure. a "self destructive hobo saint".

/kowtowing

Guest Enter a new display name
lol, seeing as your mp3 collection seems to contain everything in the known universe, do you really need anything new?

Yeah, and he owns on vinyl everything that anybody could ever list.

CONLON NANCARROW

this insane dude wrote pieces for player piano in the 20s-50s, i.e. making them humanly impossible to play. The original IDM. Skip to about 1:12 to hear the most insane blues ever written.

• 3 weeks later...

I own the 5 disc nancarrow collection.

i'm often lacking descriptors for this sort of thing, but here are some sounds I listened to heavily last year despite not all releases coming of 08'

dora bleu - listened to clones of eros from 07'; in similar territory of dark, psychedelic folk.. minimalist even

paavoharju - experimental folk from finland? new album out in 08', laulu laakson kukista

spires that in the sunset rise - fiddles and cellos folky somethin, sometimes described as 'primordial psychedelic mysticism' (curse the traced bird lp in 08')

hurray for the riff raff - out of new orleans bluesy, waltz material but a little different - stock of banjo accordion fiddle saw; barn music country hootenanny (it don't mean I don't love you')

tape's luminarium - ambient nostalgia, don't really know although it's sound is pleasing

appealing compilations: roots of chicha: psychedelic cumbias from peru, sub rosa's persian electronic music and garifuna traditional music from guatemala, finders keepers' bearded ladies vol 1

recommend looking into the ethiopiques series through the label buda musique; really amazing recordings of popular ethiopian and eritrean musicians during the seventies, often jazz influenced

also check raster-noton, if you're into that, string of strong releases happening past few year - ryoji ikeda, coh, noto, byetone, frank bretschneider

Just downloaded #4 of the ethiopiques collection and its really good. I really love this style of music and the way it is recorded.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

yizurp!

I reccomend

Gustav Mahler - Symphony No.10 , sad, beautiful, unfinished due to his death.

Alfred Schnitkke - Symphony number 1, exciting, dark, brutal, and lush.

Nikolaj Medtner - Geoffrey Tozer Plays the Piano works, particularly Sonata in G minor.

i imagine if you enjoy classical you will enjoy these.

Guest chunky

http://www.myspace.com/nevenen

click on LARS

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=117619268

anything

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=77933648

click on youre cunty

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=406650560

galactic effector

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=212559979

really good old style techno

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=12117256