IGNORED

Foreign Films

Guest weed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
without a doubt Peter Tscherkassky's works. Outer Space is kinesthetically immense; he definitely has a handle on the physics of meta-physics.

celluloid, disintegration of sprockets, multi-faceted drafts

tscherkassky.jpg

Michael Hanake is also intriguing; he's beyond the grid. just check out Songs From the Second Floor, the Pianist or even Funny Games. ultra-contrasts and surreal intimacy.

MV5BMTgxMjc2NTc5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTMxMjE3._V1._CR80,0,324,324_SS90_.jpg

Fick ja!

Guest Soothsayer

Holy crap, didn't even see the Tscherkassky recommendation, I gotta 3rd that one. I got to first experience his work by seeing a retrospective in a big theater. I feel VERY lucky for that. "Outer Space"....to say that film floored me on first viewing would be an understatement. I could only imagine what I must have looked like in that theater chair(probably wide-eyed, shifting w/all the action, totally immersed).

Also, some other good Melville films: Le Silence du la Mer(his first film, and imo his best, was a pretty big influence on Robert Bresson, who is my favorite filmmaker), and Les Enfants Terribles(this is as much as Cocteau film as a Melville film, which works brilliantly). There are more, but those are my two favorites :)

I'm very happy Criterion is releasing Jeanne Dielman this year. I love Chantal Akerman so much...

• 4 weeks later...
No one mentioned Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In)?

Watch it - NOW!

Just wrapped on this and I was so pleased. Those kids that play Oskar and Eli are so charming. I found myself laughing at little things like Oskar walking home in his running shorts because his pants got flushed. A part that I was confused about--when Eli is changing into one of Oskar mom's dresses and he sneaks a peek to see some 12 year old pudendum. It seemed like there was a scar/disfigurement that ran across her bald eagle. It was too low to be a C-section. I freeze-framed it but I still couldn't figure anything out and then Chris Hanson knocked on my door so I let it go. The guy who wrote the screenplay also wrote the novel so maybe it's a detail that can be found in there. Just a beautiful film--up and down.

adfadfdix5.jpg

But yeah, I've only seen it once and I remember seeing a scar or something similar. I've actually got a gift certificate to a bookstore, so maybe I should see if I can find the book.

Guest Al Hounos

i assumed it was just a vampire mutation that showed beyond any doubt that she wasn't human and that her and the boy would never be able have a normal relationship, because aren't genitals the only thing that sets us apart from monsters? the ability to love and reproduce?

I have some questions for the Swedes amongst us. Some of the fashions (gym shorts cut at the nutsack) and interior decorating would be considered very kitschy and something to make fun of from an American standpoint i.e. Napoleon Dynamite, meant to be funny, has a lot in common with the overall look of this film. Also, the denim, mullets, and leather skirts of the adults who liked to drink together. So, without offending (I probably already did), is the art direction just a take on working class, small town Stockholm suburb or are they really aiming for the kitsch. Or maybe it can't be deduced from the film.

The movie takes place in the early 80s :)

stroszek (german)

the celebration (denmark)

yol (turkey)

memories of underdevelopment (cuba)

lair of the white worm (uk)

the happiness of the katakuris (japan)

eyes without a face (france)

the beaver trilogy (usa)

the lord of the rings trilogy (new zealand)

mad max (australia)

videodrome (canada)

yellow earth (china)

antonia's line (netherlands)

the seventh seal (sweden)

the decalogue (poland)

the battleship potemkin (soviet union)

black god, white devil (brazil)

talk to her (spain)

my left foot (ireland)

dimensions of dialogue (czechoslovakia)

the harder they come (jamaica)

panther panchali (india)

where is the friend's home (iran)

wend kuuni (burkina faso, africa)

Guest ezkerraldean

the return (russian) (+ everything else by that director)

russian ark (russian)

casshern (japanese)

good, bad, and the weird (korean)

bring me the head of alfredo garcia (mexican?)

funny how "foreign" actually means "non-english-language"

oh yea, its also being remade by an american

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/14/matt-r...e-right-one-in/

:sick:

fucking lame

did anyone mention 'Man Bites Dog' yet? thats one of my favorite foreign films i think its Belgian

a good japanese film - '2LDK' takes place in mostly real time all in one night about two female roommates who get at each others nerves so badly that they have a physical duel to the death

russian ark (russian)

that movie made me feel like I was high. it was also shot in one single take.

russian ark is amazing. also surprisingly creepy. When the camera pans over for about a second on that lady in complete white just walking towards the screen and then quickly pans back still gives me chills.

Guest ezkerraldean
russian ark (russian)

that movie made me feel like I was high. it was also shot in one single take.

russian ark is amazing. also surprisingly creepy. When the camera pans over for about a second on that lady in complete white just walking towards the screen and then quickly pans back still gives me chills.

fucking mental how it's entirely done in a single shot

it's a soviet film mind, so they probably threatened the actors with firing squad should they fuck up

Guest Ultravisitor
Tokyo Gore Police

whats this film like? the trailer was weird...

and everyone should watch Black Cat White Cat

(on a sunday afternoon)

Archived