IGNORED

Augmented Reality

Joyrex

First, watch this:

Next, head on over here:

http://ge.ecomagination.com/smartgrid/#/augmented_reality

At first I thought it was some viral marketing thing, but it appears that this really does work - I'm going to try it at home as I don't have a webcam here at work.

Guest assegai
holly shit but i dont have a webcam :nacmat::cry:

I've got a webcam and no printer, wanna make out?

I've got a weber but no printcam!

Guest 277: 930-933
holly shit but i dont have a webcam :nacmat::cry:

I've got a webcam and no printer, wanna make out?

*Softly strokes Iain's hair*

*Takes breathmint*

Guest assegai
Yeah, waste of time and ink for novelty that will wear off in minutes. I've had more fun using the A-B function on my DVD player.

Tell me more about this "A-B" function...

Tell me more about this "A-B" function...

Nobody else has this?  It's the best thing ever!  It turns a portion of a DVD into a repeating loop.  Hearing David Duchovny say "Do you think I'm spooky?" thirty times in a row is hysterical fun. Press once to set "A", press again to set "B", and the DVD plays from "A-B". Get it?

Edited by OneToThirtySix

Cool. How can we use it to do something useful?

i agree, online teaching? guides for the internet? take apart a digital version of something, expanding small parts in size? lectures?

Guest Drahken
Yeah, waste of time and ink for novelty that will wear off in minutes. I've had more fun using the A-B function on my DVD player.

Till we all have this shit wet wired, and wear 'augmented' clothing.

i agree, online teaching? guides for the internet? take apart a digital version of something, expanding small parts in size? lectures?

That would actually be really useful for online classes teaching mechanics or something. If you could have all your students print off sheets that would break apart an engine block or something when you put it on the webcam.

That would actually be really useful for online classes teaching mechanics or something. If you could have all your students print off sheets that would break apart an engine block or something when you put it on the webcam.

that would be great, especially if you need to highlight parts or make them bigger, but this would only really useful once the standard for webcam video quality to be quite high, but then you could also say that a well designed online interactive piece which multiple people could use at the same time with a teacher could have the same effect and that the augmented reality is just a novelty or is better for exhibitions or museums as kids would love it? or that really it is just pointless and the real problem is raising the standard of design for education? WHO KNOWS

you could also do something with some sort of multiplayer game maybe?

i think maybe its perfect for museums

this is fucking baller! i've learned a bit about papervision and motion tracking movie clips to pre-recorded, metadata-filled video through actionscript, but this shit wins.

MY FAITH IS RESTORED IN JOYREX

that would be great, especially if you need to highlight parts or make them bigger, but this would only really useful once the standard for webcam video quality to be quite high, but then you could also say that a well designed online interactive piece which multiple people could use at the same time with a teacher could have the same effect and that the augmented reality is just a novelty or is better for exhibitions or museums as kids would love it? or that really it is just pointless and the real problem is raising the standard of design for education? WHO KNOWS

you could also do something with some sort of multiplayer game maybe?

i think maybe its perfect for museums

Maybe it's one step closer to having holograms :ok: