IGNORED

Creepy Shit

autopilot

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when I moved to London on the very first night I kept hearing these really terrifying screams in the distance. I thought I'd moved to a really bad area but it turns out it was foxes shagging.

EDIT: Dang didn't notice there were two more pages here, the fox noises have already been done then....

What the fuck is a mountain lion doing in southeast PA?

The fox and bobcat theories seem more plausible.

It surely IS strange, eh?

I work as a naturalist in Yosemite National Park. (Why am I on this forum!? IDM rulez!, etc...) I have studied Mountain Lions in their natural and unnatural habitats for many years.

Foxes and Bobcats are too small and lack the lung capacity of the larger cats to produce sounds like this. Mountain Lions (additionally called cougars/pumas) have been sighted in all 48 contiguous states and Alaska, and are very common in and around the Appalachian/Blue/White mountain chains of the Eastern coast. Adults have a home range (feeding territory) of over 500 square miles. There have been sightings of cougars (mountain lions) and full-grown coyotes in downtown Chicago for that matter. The populations are dwindling, but the possibilities are still definite.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it being in your backyard. Although attacks have certainly occurred, they are usually on small children or pets (don't keep your poodle in the backyard). They can easily kill a human being, but are obviously much more likely to attack if provoked. If seen, throw a stick/rock at it and make yourself look big (open up your coat/shout loudly). Slowly back away, facing it. Do NOT lose eye contact or run, these instigate a cougar's 'chase' reflexes and it will easily outrun you and can climb trees too. It's always advisable to not hike alone, never run/bike in the woods alone, etc...

How Stuff Works: "Why cougars scream"

Quote from 'Where the Red Fern Grows': "At first it seems like a woman screaming, but finds out it is really the cry of a mountain lion in the distance."

Hope this helps, and best of luck...

don't worry, autopilot.

an official statement has just been released revealing that the noises you heard were caused by a downed weather balloon.

please return to your normal routine and ignore all such noises in the future.

I work as a naturalist in Yosemite National Park.

nice! I haven't been there but when seeing pictures I always thought it was especially beautiful.

can you identify the weirdo bird noises from my video (top of the page)? I'm in Germany, so I don't know whether these are "international", they don't sound like the odd German bird at all though

• 2 weeks later...

I just fucking saw it while I was making a bagel in the kitchen. I noticed something out the window.

It's a fox. Was trotting around the parking lot and set off the motion detecting light. I watched him for a little bit as he wandered around aimlessly.

Adorable little guy. Looked like this:

Swift%20Fox%20-%20Travis%20Olson.jpg

It's a fox. Was trotting around the parking lot and set off the motion detecting light. I watched him for a little bit as he wandered around aimlessly.

Adorable little guy. Looked like this:

Swift%20Fox%20-%20Travis%20Olson.jpg

sorry then, i'll get out of your yard :wink:

incidentally i know the most completely creepy ghost story that happened in western pa a couple of years ago.

incidentally i know the most completely creepy ghost story that happened in western pa a couple of years ago.

don't leave us dangling mate

Archived