IGNORED

Analord

Rubin Farr

i love the synth sounds on Analord i just wish Aphex used some more obscure synthy sounding drums. I have a big problem in general with the 909 kit, and he uses it on half of analord (especially that damn open 909 hat!!). For some reason the 808 does not bother me at all.

not only are you faeks good, but you know your analogue kit.

it's the 808 bass drum that really does the pump love for me... it's pure sine pulse... it's got such a lovely tone.

i love how the 808 drums have no real 'bite' to them, the 909 almost tries too hard to have bite.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love the synth sounds on Analord i just wish Aphex used some more obscure synthy sounding drums. I have a big problem in general with the 909 kit, and he uses it on half of analord (especially that damn open 909 hat!!). For some reason the 808 does not bother me at all.

not only are you faeks good, but you know your analogue kit.

it's the 808 bass drum that really does the pump love for me... it's pure sine pulse... it's got such a lovely tone.

i love how the 808 drums have no real 'bite' to them, the 909 almost tries too hard to have bite.

i think my problem with the 909 stems from it being a sample based drum machine. It combines samples with actual synthesis, and those samples have stayed the same since the day it was invented. That hihat sound kills me, seriously. Actually here on wikipedia it says the hi hats are the only sounds made with samples on the 909, this probably explains my hatred for them. The bass drum by itself isnt bad, i mean its been used in everything from house music to gabber. the snare drum is a another story and ive never been too fond of it. It sounds like someone hitting a piece of paper and more like a shaker than a snare.

I love Analord to death but acid music stretches way out into the ether beyond the suffocating realm of cornish pasties.

From what some of you write you'd think acid music began only last year.

Adonis, Pierre, Phuture, Bunker Records (Holland) , DJ Skull, D-JAX up beats, Armando, Plastikman, X-103, Robert Hood m-plant eps/

same people.

yeah 303 with 808 is amazing i agree but nearly half the 88 acid trax was nothing more then a tr707 and a tb-303

check out Slo Mo acid by pierre. thats just a 707 and 303 sounds amazing.

Guest Analogue Wings
i think my problem with the 909 stems from it being a sample based drum machine. It combines samples with actual synthesis, and those samples have stayed the same since the day it was invented. That hihat sound kills me, seriously. Actually here on wikipedia it says the hi hats are the only sounds made with samples on the 909, this probably explains my hatred for them. The bass drum by itself isnt bad, i mean its been used in everything from house music to gabber. the snare drum is a another story and ive never been too fond of it. It sounds like someone hitting a piece of paper and more like a shaker than a snare.

My only regret with my recent JoMoX AirBase99 purchase is the lack of analogue hats - they're done 909 style with 8bit samples thru an analogue VCF and EG. You can switch the samples between 909, 808, CR78 and "real", but they all sound too harsh to me. Then when I listen to 909 based trax I hear the same harshness...

Actually, you can do a fully analogue "hi-hat" on the AirBase, by replacing the sample with white noise going thru the same filter and EG. Sounds very lo fi in a CR78 way, but I'm finding it easier to make em sit in the mix...

909 snare is weak, which is why so many people use the handclap as the "snare". Luckily the AirBase has a decent snare (once you put it on its own channel and turn it up) AND decent claps.

Guest BunnyRabbit
just to back up a couple of posts already made here...

there is very little 303 on analord, all 11.. if at all.

there may be some, but it's sounds that are indistinct as 303, thus a slightly more original approach to it's use.

i've listened to it deep, and seriously, anyone who thinks it's a 303 workout should learn to listen.. there's some seriously obscure analogue technology in there....

Believe me I've given it some deep listening and the 303 is one of it's bedrocks. Now, a few things are possible such as moding of the 303 and using other synths through it's filters, etc. Heck he's probably got one modified into a semi-modular. I've done that with my 202 and it opens a lot of possibilities. But I seriously disagree if your're saying it hardly features. That kind of squelch is all but unique and the only other possiblilty is that he's managed to get that sound out of one the fancier things - Fenix? - but why bother?

Where I do agree is that there's some obscure stuff going on. That formant stuff on Fenix Funk is rad and as the series progresses there's less 303 altogether.

so when i started this, i was reffering to acid albums, not 12s or EPs. to my knowledge most of the Detroit scene was developed in clubs with vinyl and mix sessions. so i was just referring to full lengths of the genre. and i know Analord isn't pure acid, that's the beauty of it, he encompassed other subgenres like Detroit, electro, proto-house, etc. the variance in rhythm and melody is what makes it so special for me. don't think i'll ever get tired of hearing it, especially with over 40 tracks.

Guest Mr. Modular
Believe me I've given it some deep listening and the 303 is one of it's bedrocks. Now, a few things are possible such as moding of the 303 and using other synths through it's filters, etc. Heck he's probably got one modified into a semi-modular. I've done that with my 202 and it opens a lot of possibilities. But I seriously disagree if your're saying it hardly features. That kind of squelch is all but unique and the only other possiblilty is that he's managed to get that sound out of one the fancier things - Fenix? - but why bother?

Where I do agree is that there's some obscure stuff going on. That formant stuff on Fenix Funk is rad and as the series progresses there's less 303 altogether.

A lot of synths can make that "303" sound, the key is in the sequencing and note length/gating.

Guest BunnyRabbit

A lot of synths can make that "303" sound, the key is in the sequencing and note length/gating.

Well, okay then. A can see that the whole slide and accent thing can be replicated. I've just not heard a convincing squelch from anything else myself. I mean, I've tried with my 202 (which is - y'know - as near as dammit is to swearing) but I just couldn't get it sounding right. Maybe it's just me missing something.

Anyway, however it's done on Analord it's still that sound I can hear across the series and it's great whatever.

Well, okay then. A can see that the whole slide and accent thing can be replicated. I've just not heard a convincing squelch from anything else myself. I mean, I've tried with my 202 (which is - y'know - as near as dammit is to swearing) but I just couldn't get it sounding right. Maybe it's just me missing something.

Anyway, however it's done on Analord it's still that sound I can hear across the series and it's great whatever.

i agree about the slide on the 303.. there's not another synth that does it the same.

the squelch sound... nah... there's tons of synths that can squelch....

anyway, given his collection, why would he limit himself to something as basic as a 303.. seriously dude, give them another listen or two, and try to pick out specific 303 lines... i reckon you'll be surprised as to how few there are.

Guest Mr. Modular

The 202 has more of a 65% note length, whereas the 303 has somewhat close to 50%, that might be your problem. And of course the filter.

Guest BunnyRabbit
The 202 has more of a 65% note length, whereas the 303 has somewhat close to 50%, that might be your problem. And of course the filter.

Hmm, yeah. For some reason I got it into my head that the 303 had the same filter as the 202. Dunno why I got that idea as it's clearly not :confused: .

So anyway, do you mean 303 clones can sound like the the 303 or are you suggesting that any subtractive analogue can create that sound with careful programming? Because I would say that the filter is the key having played about with my 202. It's close in places but it doesn't go all the way.

Sorry to keep on about this but I'm genuinely interested in the debate about whether Aphex used a 303 or something else.

I like some of the Analord stuff, but I think if some no namer artist made the exact same music and everyone heard it, no one would particularly care. A few people who already liked acid would find it kind of cool and that would be that.

Guest Mr. Modular

Hmm, yeah. For some reason I got it into my head that the 303 had the same filter as the 202. Dunno why I got that idea as it's clearly not :confused: .

So anyway, do you mean 303 clones can sound like the the 303 or are you suggesting that any subtractive analogue can create that sound with careful programming? Because I would say that the filter is the key having played about with my 202. It's close in places but it doesn't go all the way.

Sorry to keep on about this but I'm genuinely interested in the debate about whether Aphex used a 303 or something else.

Obviously a 303 was used on some tracks, but a lot of the tracks are just using other synths with patches that somehow resembles a 303 or a very processed 303 run through some other synths for effects like sample&hold, cross-selfoscillating lpf/hpf filters for that talking effect, voiceboxes/vocoders and what not.

And yeah, the filters are important, but there's loads of filter-modules that surpasses the 303 one by far and thats also able to emulate it.

Guest BunnyRabbit

Obviously a 303 was used on some tracks, but a lot of the tracks are just using other synths with patches that somehow resembles a 303 or a very processed 303 run through some other synths for effects like sample&hold, cross-selfoscillating lpf/hpf filters for that talking effect, voiceboxes/vocoders and what not.

Yeah, that's what I think is going on. Processed 303.

And yeah, the filters are important, but there's loads of filter-modules that surpasses the 303 one by far and thats also able to emulate it.

Are we talking modular modules here then? Care to name one?

Guest Mr. Modular

Isn't every module, modular? You can recreate the filter sound with almost any module capable of stable 18db/oct LP filtering.

The only thing is that the real 303 filter is also affected by the accent. Name some parts of analord tracks that you think is 303 and

I'll check too.

not every 18db/oct lp filter will give you THE ALMIGHTY SqUELCH!!!!!

it's the design of the filter that counts: you need this weird TWEAKED DIODE LADDER type filter where the transistors are LINKeD to each other to simulate a diode ladder.

also, the 303's filter env is BIPOLAR, it modulates the filter cutoff freq BOTH positively and negativeley!!!

Guest Mr. Modular
not every 18db/oct lp filter will give you THE ALMIGHTY SqUELCH!!!!!

it's the design of the filter that counts: you need this weird TWEAKED DIODE LADDER type filter where the transistors are LINKeD to each other to simulate a diode ladder.

also, the 303's filter env is BIPOLAR, it modulates the filter cutoff freq BOTH positively and negativeley!!!

It won't of course give you a perfect emulation, but will let you create sounds good enough to fool people into thinking it's a 303 if you use it correctly.

There's not that much 303 on the analords.

ive never known a thread to kill a release so stone dead with such anal flap trappery than this one.

honestly, since when did watmm become em411??

Guest BunnyRabbit

Isn't every module, modular? You can recreate the filter sound with almost any module capable of stable 18db/oct LP filtering.

The only thing is that the real 303 filter is also affected by the accent. Name some parts of analord tracks that you think is 303 and

I'll check too.

Okay, I'll play that game :-)

Stepping Filter - Bubbles in about 1:16

Canticle Drawl - on it's own at 0:40

Where's your Girlfriend - Squiglle from 30 secs in

Phontacid - 15 secs in squelchyness

Boxing Day- At 55 secs a squelchy overtone is added

Klopjob - fades in at 1:10

Guest BunnyRabbit
ive never known a thread to kill a release so stone dead with such anal flap trappery than this one.

honestly, since when did watmm become em411??

Oh, come on. It's not doing any harm is it?

This thread has done nothing but accentuate my love for the Analord series, so nah!

Tis' a bit anal though. I'll shut up now.

Guest Romhotep

It seems to me that strictly defining an entire genre (acid) on one machine (the 303) is instead eliminating itself as a genre and narrowing it down to being a specific style of playing a particular instrument/machine (a la slap styled bass being a method of playing one instrument, and not a genre).

Archived