IGNORED

Vinyl/Turntable Thread for Noobs

SR4

Im finally giving into a turntable, which I should have purchased, long, long, long ago.

A few questions, and I know you lot can help me out.

First is the turntable. Im looking for something relatively cheap, doesn't have to be horribly high-end or anything, all I need it to do is play records and have just one audio jack so i can plug it into my computer stereo system....i dont think itdbe too hard to do...but im worried about ordering a player and then realizing it doesn't plug into computer stereo systems(you know, just the one plug with the green tint on it)

Second up is where to find really good vinyl? Ive checked Gemm.com for some records Id been looking for, but I dunno if you lads enjoy other sites moreso for certain genres, artists, etc.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

get a new soundcard if you are going to be recording vinyl onto your computer the soundblaster live or whatever the fuck default soundcard you have with "the little green" jack is going to make the analog to digital transfer sound like shit.

Buy this turntable, its only 79 bucks on musicians friend right now, great price for a quality record playing turntable with some good parameters, for what you want dont get anything better or worse

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper
get a new soundcard if you are going to be recording vinyl onto your computer the soundblaster live or whatever the fuck default soundcard you have with "the little green" jack is going to make the analog to digital transfer sound like shit.

this is the way to go. a soundcard with rca inputs and a nice tube receiver. player into receiver, receiver out into the soundcard.

180 gram vinyl re-releases if possible. big difference in quality.

just put in my first LP order ever!! ecxciting

i got

My Bloody Valentine-Isn't Anything

Pop Ambient 2007

Pop Ambient 2008

The Orb-Okie Dokie

im psyched.

i got

good man!

btw

re : blanket... the price is right, but if you use it a lot, the belt has a tendency to stretch which will fuck up the speed.

Spend the extra dough on a direct drive. It's way worth it.

We're talking about you ears here.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse
i got

good man!

btw

re : blanket... the price is right, but if you use it a lot, the belt has a tendency to stretch which will fuck up the speed.

yah well your definitely correct a belt doesn't have the durable nature of direct drive(or of course the quick action motion to any sort of turntable manipulation), I just don't how often he plans on playin records. Kinda sounds like he wants to just rip the record to his computer and listen to the vinyl sound through his comp/mp3 player/cd player/sample it etc so I did not expect the belt drive would receive enough wear and tear to warrant the need for a DD.

i got

good man!

btw

absolute nonsense

absolute nonsense

Have you ever had to replace a belt in a turntable due to a warped, warblysound?

I certainly have.

In my time, I have owned 2 belt drive turntables and 4 direct drive turntables.

You?

just get a used technics on ebay; i've had mine for six years, it's worked perfectly, i paid $30 for it.

the best sites for buying vinyl are:

forcedexposure (for electronic/obscure stuff)

insound (for indie/rock stuff)

discogs (in case the first two don't come through)

thanks for all the recs and advice wise ones.

Nah im not interested in ripping vinyl at all really, I just want to move from mp3s all the time to some actual nice big physical media mediums. the reason i keep bringing up the computer part is because I have a speaker system designed to plug into a computer through the head phone jack, not a traditional one with the red and white outputs.

absolute nonsense

Have you ever had to replace a belt in a turntable due to a warped, warblysound?

I certainly have.

You?

oh no. i have to replace a belt. oh woe is me. i may as well kill myself cause all my protobreakcore records sound bad.

recommend me a turntable please jeff

absolute nonsense

I certainly have.

You?

oh no. i have to replace a belt. oh woe is me. i may as well kill myself cause all my protobreakcore records sound bad.

recommend me a turntable please jeff

*clears throat*

protoDRILLnBASS LUDD.

Archived