IGNORED

Vinyl/Turntable Thread for Noobs

SR4

Guest Deep Fried Everything
your mom

i think ludd's point is that your advice for direct drive vs belt driven is contradicted by just about everything ever written concerning making a choice of which type of turntable to buy

*ahem*

but he's not ripping vinyl so direct drive is *probably the best way to go esp for a first turntable

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

how about one of these bad boys from a Radio Shack

P4196a.jpg

Kablow!! record player right into your computer speakers for the cost of waffles

Direct Drive - DJing

Belt Drive - Home Listening

if you look at most (if not all) high end audiophile turntables, they are belt driven. this is to reduce vibrations from the motor that could be picked up by the stylus.

i honestly recommend just getting either a new or 2nd hand technics 1200. it should really last you for pretty much forever. belt drive's are better for noise reduction but direct drive's (quartz timed) are much better for timing.

alright, i ended up ordering that one first mentioned...should be great for the price...its coming tomorrow and im so fucking excited...

i honestly recommend just getting either a new or 2nd hand technics 1200. it should really last you for pretty much forever. belt drive's are better for noise reduction but direct drive's (quartz timed) are much better for timing.

lttp but if anyone comes back and checks this thread out later - have a pair of used technics 1200 - did a shit ton of research and the consensus is pretty much that a)The Technics have a solidly reliable sound b)are built like friggin' tanks.

anyone else want to beat me at 'cocklength'?

13", even with a bit choppd off. Unfortunately it only has a girth of 3", so its more chimpanzee like than human. This does have the advantage I can use it to make 'balloon animals' at children's parties.

debutphusb.jpg

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod...les&lang=en

This is what I have, it is beautiful, functional.

Just look at it.

Me too. s'nice ! Except I got the normal Debut III rather than the one with the integrated pre-amp (I got a Cambridge 640p preamp), replaced the mat with a cork mat, and got the Speed Box II for it. Next thing I think I'll change is either the stylus or cartridge (though I'll probably never get round to doing either)

Archived