IGNORED

baraka

Guest zaphod

beautiful film!

Yeah I was wondering about 'The Fall' and why it stole ideas from 'Baraka', besides 'Baraka' being one of the most visually stunning films ever made, 'The Fall' was almost like 'Baraka' with a plot....

a pretty film as well but way too derivative...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fall was visually interesting, but I didn't really like the plot. I think "stole ideas" is a little heavy. I'd say inspired by.

What do you guys think of the Qatsi trilogy? I saw Koyaanisqatsi before seeing Baraka and it blew me away. It's stylistically very similar to Baraka in that it's pure cinema shots of nature juxtaposed with humanity, but the focus is placed much more on the unbalanced relationship humans have with the Earth and our raping it. Baraka seems like a refinement of the pure cinema style explored in the Qatsi films. It's a lot less heavy handed, looks way better, and is shows a more positive world. After seeing Koyaanisqatsi I wanted to die. lol not really but kind of.

I like them and use them for projecting while playing live along with a lot other visually superb films(with no humans talking to each other)...

yeah what the hell is with this movie? why did David Fincher and SPike Jonez put their name on this POS?

The Fall was one of the most unimpressive movies i have seen in a while, and far less entertaining/interesting than the Cell (which was kind of a crap movie besides the visuals)

dude, come on, the visuals were incredible, and the acting wasn't that bad

in terms of cinematography and set location, it's one of the top 10 films ever made. the plot was rough, and the acting was a bit cheese, but as someone who is obsessed with photography, i was able to overlook it

The Fall was visually interesting, but I didn't really like the plot. I think "stole ideas" is a little heavy. I'd say inspired by.

What do you guys think of the Qatsi trilogy? I saw Koyaanisqatsi before seeing Baraka and it blew me away. It's stylistically very similar to Baraka in that it's pure cinema shots of nature juxtaposed with humanity, but the focus is placed much more on the unbalanced relationship humans have with the Earth and our raping it. Baraka seems like a refinement of the pure cinema style explored in the Qatsi films. It's a lot less heavy handed, looks way better, and is shows a more positive world. After seeing Koyaanisqatsi I wanted to die. lol not really but kind of.

dude, that's bullshit. the qatsi trilogy does not portray the "rape of the earth" with a heavy hand. if the makers of baraka just took their cameras to the surrounding area there would be tons of this "rape of the earth" shit -- in fact there's a long (heavy handed) sentimental scene in baraka with the dead can dance tune (host of seraphim?) that really emphasizes this quality. this is something i am all too conscious of while watching the film -- this is not the world i live in, or a world that any one lives in.

koyaanisqatsi keeps it real. plus, the soundtrack to barak is decidedly sentimental (read: heavy handed) at parts, whereas koyaanisqatsi has this totally utterly amazing purely transformational completely orgasmic powerfully pure and astonishing philip glass music.

koyaanisqatsi = masterpiece

baraka = amazing film

i absolutely love baraka and the *qatsi trilogy series. they've had a ton of influence on me and i'm sure a lot of others. philip glass is brilliant, everyone needs to watch naqoyqatsi which came out like i think 6 years ago now. i've acrually wrote essays on it in college, definitely check it out

Guest bitroast

haven't seen baraka.

koyaanisqatsi and powaqqatsi are playing at this mad oldschool cinema in a few days. i miight go, is powaquatsi any good?

chronos chronos chronos

and yes powaquatsi is great, my favorite scene happens to be in the very opening 10 minutes of the movie as well as having imo some of the best Philp Glass music ever made, although some of it was in truman show which i happened to see before powaquatsi so it took me some getting used to

beginning song may be a little cheese for some people especially those with an aversion to 'world' music :rolleyes:

haven't seen baraka.

koyaanisqatsi and powaqqatsi are playing at this mad oldschool cinema in a few days. i miight go, is powaquatsi any good?

where? we'd be up for that if it's somewhere easy to get to!

Guest bitroast

at the astor :) on monday the 4th.

i've been going there heaps lately, like once a month. although still not sure if im going on monday.. but its a defs maybs.

at the astor :) on monday the 4th.

i've been going there heaps lately, like once a month. although still not sure if im going on monday.. but its a defs maybs.

cool, see you there? maybe we could grab a couple of drinks before/afterward at mother's milk on chapel st?

Guest bitroast

hehe im not too sure how much money i'll have after the weeknd so i dont wanna say defs. but i defs might, maybe :)

omlol, drunk post above -- i totally don't remember writing that lol. later that night my gf woke me up b/c i was sleeping/listening to donkey kong country music pretty loud on youtube. wtf??? i haven't plaid that game in like a dozen years????

anyway, i wasn't thrilled by chronos. i've always felt it was more like a precursor to fricke's more significant work w/ koyaanisqatsi and baraka; good but not amazing like those other two films. maybe i should give it another shot though.

omlol, drunk post above -- i totally don't remember writing that lol. later that night my gf woke me up b/c i was sleeping/listening to donkey kong country music pretty loud on youtube. wtf??? i haven't plaid that game in like a dozen years????

anyway, i wasn't thrilled by chronos. i've always felt it was more like a precursor to fricke's more significant work w/ koyaanisqatsi and baraka; good but not amazing like those other two films. maybe i should give it another shot though.

it's different for sure, for me its just more of the same beauty i don't really compare them

i jizz over anything Ron fricke is involved in

Guest Adjective

Chronos came on HDnet or possibly it was MOJO, as one of the unlabeled films they used to sneak in sometimes. i remember flipping to it and me and a friend trailed off in our conversation and became hypnotized. i thought it was a "sunrise earth" kind of series or something.

for anyone interested, Baraka was recently uploaded in HD on Youtube.

Starts with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gWaS5JWIVc .

I'm staying up as long as it takes to watch this...

*drools*

wow, this is pretty nice. no surprise youtube was predicted to lose half a billion dollars this year in bandwidth fees..

is it just me or your pc also freezes when watching HD videos on youtube???

Archived