IGNORED

A Dark Mood

oyster

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i snort coffee grounds

yeah I made some coffee and everyone else said it tasted horrible, but I loved it, turns out the grounds had fallen into the coffee. It tasted like liquid vigor to me.

I've drunken so much coffee in the past couples days, it is ridiculous. Probably over a gallon a day. So I'm trying to lay off it today, but I'm feeling the craving.

it's 9 pm, i have to work in 12 hours, and i didn't wake up till 2 pm, meaning i'm going to have a hard time going to sleep tonight ANYWAY, but goddamn I want to make some coffee. I'm going to damnit. just sounds too good right now.

Are you wrecking your brain? Chilling pictures reveal shocking effects of alcohol, cigarettes and even caffeine on the mind

What exactly are you doing to your brain when you drink alcohol or coffee? If you think they can’t be doing much harm, the pictures on the opposite page may come as a shock.

They show that the effects of long-term and heavy use can be just as striking as the damage caused by illegal drugs such as cannabis or cocaine.

They can even result in a pattern of ‘holes’ in the brain similar to those caused by Alzheimer’s disease. The images come from a remarkable new book - Change Your Brain, Change Your Life.

Already a bestseller in the U.S., it was written by neuroscientist and psychiatrist Daniel G. Amen, who is professor of psychiatry-and human behaviour at the University of California, Irvine, and director of the Amen Clinics. In the book, he explains how behaviour such as anxiety, anger or impulsiveness could be related to the way specific areas in your brain work.

For the past 15 years he has been using scanning technology to assess brain activity in people with ‘psychological’ problems.

What these scans have shown is that often these problems are not actually psychological, but are biological - some area of the patient’s brain isn’t functioning well, but is instead under or over-active, he says.

Sometimes this ‘ malfunctioning’ can be due to substances, illegal or legal, which effectively shut down the blood supply to areas of the brain.

This reduces activity in these areas, and, depending on the area affected, this affects the patient’s behaviour.

The caffeine and nicotine scan opposite is of the chief executive of a large company whom Dr Amen knew socially.

‘He came to see me complaining of low energy and a difficulty concentrating,’ says Dr Amen.

‘A scan of his brain showed extensive damage. He denied heavy use of drugs or drink, but admitted to smoking two packs of cigarettes a day and drinking three pots of coffee.’

Just how much brain damage coffee or alcohol will cause in any individual varies hugely - some people can handle a lot while others are far more vulnerable, says Amen.

‘A cup of coffee a day or a couple of glasses of wine a week is no big deal, but eight cups or two glasses a day is too much for most people.’

As a result of his work, Dr Amen avoids any kind of stimulants.

‘When I was 16, I got drunk on a six-pack of Michelob beer and half a bottle of champagne and was sick for three days,’ he says.

‘After that I stayed away from alcohol. Now, because of what I’ve seen, I also avoid caffeine and diet soft drinks because they often contain caffeine.’

He also runs a programme in Californian schools to make children aware of what recreational drugs can do to their brains.

‘They don’t believe there could be a problem until they see the pictures and then their response is: “Omigod!” That can be enough for them to stop.’

Indeed, you might argue that those who want drug classifications loosened should also look closely at these scans.

The scanner that Dr Amen uses is known as SPECT (photon emission computerised tomography) and is specially useful for showing brain activity.

More familiar brain scanners such as PET and MRI can show the structure of the brain in greater detail but they don’t tell you what it is doing.

If the brain was a town, these scanners would show the buildings while SPECT reveal the actual traffic flow.

SPECT scans are also widely used to check for cardiac disease as they can reveal problems with the flow of blood around your heart.

Before the brain scan, the patient is injected with a compound which contains a minute amount of radioactive material - about as much as is found in a standard chest X-ray. Once in the bloodstream, it attaches itself to brain cells. Then for 15 minutes the scanner slowly rotates around the head building up a 360-degree image of the brain that can be viewed from any angle.

In the images on these pages, you can see ‘dead spots’ - where there is no brain activity because of little blood flow - revealed black holes.

Depending on the location of these dead spots, the patient's behaviour will change.

For instance, if these occur at the front of the brain, which controls forward thinking , your sense of judgment deteriorates.

When it comes to the effect of caffeine and alcohol, the good news is that once you stop taking them, the brain recovers (and the same may be true for other substances).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-...feine-mind.html

Fuck that.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I usually miss breakfast cause I can't pull myself out of bed, then I drink loads of strong coffee at work and then do a massive shit

Guest abusivegeorge

Coffee does wonders for shitting, I find the shit wakes me up more than the coffee though.

Are you wrecking your brain? Chilling pictures reveal shocking effects of alcohol, cigarettes and even caffeine on the mind

What exactly are you doing to your brain when you drink alcohol or coffee? If you think they can’t be doing much harm, the pictures on the opposite page may come as a shock.

They show that the effects of long-term and heavy use can be just as striking as the damage caused by illegal drugs such as cannabis or cocaine.

They can even result in a pattern of ‘holes’ in the brain similar to those caused by Alzheimer’s disease. The images come from a remarkable new book - Change Your Brain, Change Your Life.

Already a bestseller in the U.S., it was written by neuroscientist and psychiatrist Daniel G. Amen, who is professor of psychiatry-and human behaviour at the University of California, Irvine, and director of the Amen Clinics. In the book, he explains how behaviour such as anxiety, anger or impulsiveness could be related to the way specific areas in your brain work.

For the past 15 years he has been using scanning technology to assess brain activity in people with ‘psychological’ problems.

What these scans have shown is that often these problems are not actually psychological, but are biological - some area of the patient’s brain isn’t functioning well, but is instead under or over-active, he says.

Sometimes this ‘ malfunctioning’ can be due to substances, illegal or legal, which effectively shut down the blood supply to areas of the brain.

This reduces activity in these areas, and, depending on the area affected, this affects the patient’s behaviour.

The caffeine and nicotine scan opposite is of the chief executive of a large company whom Dr Amen knew socially.

‘He came to see me complaining of low energy and a difficulty concentrating,’ says Dr Amen.

‘A scan of his brain showed extensive damage. He denied heavy use of drugs or drink, but admitted to smoking two packs of cigarettes a day and drinking three pots of coffee.’

Just how much brain damage coffee or alcohol will cause in any individual varies hugely - some people can handle a lot while others are far more vulnerable, says Amen.

‘A cup of coffee a day or a couple of glasses of wine a week is no big deal, but eight cups or two glasses a day is too much for most people.’

‘When I was 16, I got drunk on a six-pack of Michelob beer and half a bottle of champagne and was sick for three days,’ he says.

‘After that I stayed away from alcohol. Now, because of what I’ve seen, I also avoid caffeine and diet soft drinks because they often contain caffeine.’

He also runs a programme in Californian schools to make children aware of what recreational drugs can do to their brains.

‘They don’t believe there could be a problem until they see the pictures and then their response is: “Omigod!” That can be enough for them to stop.’

Indeed, you might argue that those who want drug classifications loosened should also look closely at these scans.

The scanner that Dr Amen uses is known as SPECT (photon emission computerised tomography) and is specially useful for showing brain activity.

More familiar brain scanners such as PET and MRI can show the structure of the brain in greater detail but they don’t tell you what it is doing.

If the brain was a town, these scanners would show the buildings while SPECT reveal the actual traffic flow.

SPECT scans are also widely used to check for cardiac disease as they can reveal problems with the flow of blood around your heart.

Before the brain scan, the patient is injected with a compound which contains a minute amount of radioactive material - about as much as is found in a standard chest X-ray. Once in the bloodstream, it attaches itself to brain cells. Then for 15 minutes the scanner slowly rotates around the head building up a 360-degree image of the brain that can be viewed from any angle.

In the images on these pages, you can see ‘dead spots’ - where there is no brain activity because of little blood flow - revealed black holes.

Depending on the location of these dead spots, the patient's behaviour will change.

For instance, if these occur at the front of the brain, which controls forward thinking , your sense of judgment deteriorates.

When it comes to the effect of caffeine and alcohol, the good news is that once you stop taking them, the brain recovers (and the same may be true for other substances).

Fuck that.

lol

Fuck that.

lol

I'm amused that they found some freak who doesn't drink, smoke, or even drink coffee, and then labeled it "Normal". Those "normal" people must be one in a million.

every time I open this thread i crave coffee. Seriously. This thread is responsible for me making coffee 4 times the past 4 days. Just a cup or 2, but satisfying none the less.

Guest thanksomuch

hmm i smoke three to five smokes a day and drink one to two cups of coffee. prolly fucked any way..

Guest hahathhat

i went to a murderously hard high school. half the people there were seriously into caffeine -- there was a starbucks right next to the school. they had some guy like this Dr. Amen come in to tell us the horrors of drugs. i was proud to be a member of the student body that day, as kids started telling him how much coffee they drank.

Archived