IGNORED

who the fuck is lady gaga and where did she come from?!@

sinicalypse

Oh, I'm certainly not arguing it's wildly original. It's just refreshing to see such a mainstreamy pop figure do this stuff deliberately with an obvious wink in her eye. It goes a little beyond the usual hipster pomosexual-irony; she seems to know exactly what she's debasing/appropriating and why. I've heard her interviews, and she at least has a passing knowledge of some general critical theory. I'm not saying she's Foucault or nothin.

So, it's not brilliant, but in the context of unabashed pop it's at least more interesting than the usual dreck, where the image is pretty much dictated by what will sell in Peoria.

And yeah, I wish she took accordingly bigger risks with the music, but I guess that defeats the slighlty-transgressive point of this stage in her mass-market career.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest beatfanatic

Oh, I'm certainly not arguing it's wildly original. It's just refreshing to see such a mainstreamy pop figure do this stuff deliberately with an obvious wink in her eye. It goes a little beyond the usual hipster pomosexual-irony; she seems to know exactly what she's debasing/appropriating and why. I've heard her interviews, and she at least has a passing knowledge of some general critical theory. I'm not saying she's Foucault or nothin.

So, it's not brilliant, but in the context of unabashed pop it's at least more interesting than the usual dreck, where the image is pretty much dictated by what will sell in Peoria.

And yeah, I wish she took accordingly bigger risks with the music, but I guess that defeats the slighlty-transgressive point of this stage in her mass-market career.

see I am completely the opposite. I dont have a problem with other shitty pop music like Ke$ha, black eyed peas etc etc because atleast they are not trying to be something other than what they are ie pop music for the masses.

Lady Gaga just tries to hard to be different and its pretty apparent and tired.

marketing wizard 1: 'hey lets put a sheen of some sort of avant-garde stage performance or thoughtinto really shallow hyper over produced generic chord progression Britney Spears pop music, that might help market this music beyond the scope of the normal 13 year old and lower audience. and maybe if we get her to talk about gay rigths a few times we can co-opt an entire community of fans to become almost cult like about her music!'

marketing wizard 2 'great idea!'

i find it hilarious that anyone thinks her image is tongue in cheek in any way shape or form. maybe only to the record execs who have marketed her with such genius. They probably fucking love the fact that a hot girl who makes auto-tuned vocal pop music is generating the same cool & 'ooh shocking she's covered in blood' status that Marylin Manson was 10 years ago. It's much better for sales than anyone over the age of 13 thinking it's total garbage

see I am completely the opposite. I dont have a problem with other shitty pop music like Ke$ha, black eyed peas etc etc because atleast they are not trying to be something other than what they are ie pop music for the masses.

well that's just it, Lady Gaga acts like and gets accolades from people all over the fucking place for NOT being geneirc throw away pop music when in fact she is absolutely that.

If i heard of Lady Gaga in the form of 'hey have you heard this new catchy pop song' and not 'there is this really crazy new performer whos getting really popular, i think its a really refreshing change from the typical pop' i might be like ok i buy that.

there actually is such a thing as really good, creative, and very musically complex mainstream pop music. Remember Kate Bush? Her music and stage presence deserved such accolades, she was fucking talented and very original for her time. The fact that Lady Gaga is now the 'weirdest' mainstream female pop act is a very depressing thing for me personally

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

"Sluts in skirts, scattered all over this scrabble board

no wonder very few words worth using are being played.

This unintelligible squawking is drowning out anything

worth listening to

So we're dumbing down everything

Anything to numb

anything to encourage ignorance.

Anything to numb

Anything to put us to sleep.

Someone, anyone, take off your shirt and pacify.

Make it easy for us to eat, easy for us to sleep.

We're trying to speak clearly but our voices get

drowned out by the over-excessive braying and

the always open mouth...

Someone, anyone, take us out back and put us down

I think we deserve it"

FBTMOF - The Always Open Mouth

Those lyrics pretty well explain my disdain for what mainstream pop promotes 99% but bitches don't learn that much about the symbolism of free mason pagan's from reading Dan Brown novels, like I said who knows WHY there's so many people in pop culture putting so much ambition into such knowledgeable demonstration's of Illuminati messages and symbols. (its pretty far beyond just flashing a pyramid with your hands and putting them up to your eye) lady gaga is pretty much riding on a completely focused story of her career being that of a free mason puppet. I don't have a super easy time believing she just thinks its a funny idea and sticks with it.

looking at it logically and not from a omgz so funniez makes it pretty clear that their must be something to it.

Oh, I know there's marketing spin on it (see also product placement in video), but she can hold her own in a semi-intelligent conversation about all that iconography. This is only refreshing in the context of the absolute dreck that is pop music now, where people like Spears need a fucking conservatorship because they are functionally retarded which fact hardly even raises eyebrows

Look, I'm not buying her albums or anything.

And, to be fair, she is a far better, and far less-autotuned, singer than Britbrit, she can actually play the piano competently and write some of her own shit, and she isn't all about the egregious over use of melisma.

edit: if you seriously think she, or anyone else is a puppet of freemasonry: :facepalm:

The reason that shit is so popular is because everyone likes a good fucking elaborate mystery, not because any of it is actually true.

Now excuse me while I bow to Jahbulon.

well let's just put it this way, she is significantly closer to Spears and Christina Aguilera if we were working on a scale of actual musical creativity (not stage shows) than she is to Bjork, Kate Bush, etc. I would hope most peoople here would agree with this :whistling:

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

x2

"Sluts in skirts, scattered all over this scrabble board

no wonder very few words worth using are being played.

This unintelligible squawking is drowning out anything

worth listening to

So we're dumbing down everything

Anything to numb

Anything to encourage ignorance.

Anything to numb

Anything to put us to sleep.

Someone, anyone, take off your shirt and pacify.

Make it easy for us to eat, easy for us to sleep.

We're trying to speak clearly but our voices get

drowned out by the over-excessive braying and

the always open mouth...

Someone, anyone, take us out back and put us down

I think we deserve it"

damon albarn is such a boundary-breaking, postmodern cultural synthesist

If you have the power,

then use it and kill them all

you got the right

to make them crawl

Stab her until she's all red

penetrate her asshole

with a twelve inch nail

Blood mixed with shit

mixed with blood, rape her

and fucking dominate her

a feast on blood

on your lucky day

If you have the power, then

use it and kill them all

you got the right

to make them crawl

And kill them all.

lol. you forgot transhumanist.

Guest beatfanatic

I never claimed he was.

Bjork, Kate Bush, etc

remember when people like this topped of the charts

it was only about ten years ago rly

i have fond memories of it, the 90s is when the major record labels were trying very hard to invent and/or co-opt new scenes and it all came to a crashing hault once they all started whining about MP3 destroying them

ABBA

ABBA remains a fixture of radio playlists and is one of the world's best-selling bands, having sold over 375 million records worldwide,[1][2] making them the second best-selling popular music group in the history of recorded music. They still sell two to three million records a year.[3] ABBA was also the first pop group from mainland Europe to enjoy consistent success in the charts of English-speaking countries, including the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Ireland, South Africa/Rhodesia, Australia and New Zealand.

now there is the real shit

Lady gaga is to expensive pop music what Obama is to america. a genius rebranding of something destined for failure :emotawesomepm9:

Fuck off with your Republican teabegger jokes

lol, if you think i'm republican you are very stupid

Bjork, Kate Bush, etc

i have fond memories of it, the 90s is when the major record labels were trying very hard to invent and/or co-opt new scenes and it all came to a crashing hault once they all started whining about MP3 destroying them

i still think this is one of the best videos ever made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a1bfbk_yQU

and she is so very fuckable in this too

Lady gaga is to expensive pop music what Obama is to america. a genius rebranding of something destined for failure :emotawesomepm9:

Not saying you are Republican , I am saying YOUR JOKES are Republican

Bjork, Kate Bush, etc

i agree, i can't say i was ever a huge fan of her music but i definitely think her videos and music was a refreshing distraction from most of the crap out at the time.

i saw her play live at Tibetan Freedom Festival and she threw the panties she WAS WEARING into the audience! how hot is that? The person who managed to catch those is probably one of the only living fans to know what Bjork's pussy smells like

i would have you break that down for me but i don't think it would make me any closer to understanding. saying something like America is going to fail like Rome is a lot closer to a generic hippy thing to say, i don't see how its republican

Bjork, Kate Bush, etc

i agree, i can't say i was ever a huge fan of her music but i definitely think her videos and music was a refreshing distraction from most of the crap out at the time.

i saw her play live at Tibetan Freedom Festival and she threw the panties she WAS WEARING into the audience! how hot is that?

i would have you break that down for me but i don't think it would make me any closer to understanding. saying something like America is going to fail like Rome is a lot closer to a generic hippy thing to say, i don't see how its republican

Meaning : You are a Centrists , Buying the Republican Propaganda

Archived