IGNORED

google chrome 2

kaini

it's up on the screen within less than a second.

if you're an habitual firefox user who loads greasemonkey, adblock, noscript, downthemall, and maybe firebug or some shit - and a skin as well at startup... well, ready to rock in less than a second is a seriously impressive and refreshing thing.

the screen real estate is huge!

...on my widescreen LCD i have: tabs, navbar, bookmark bar, at the top and taskbar at the bottom. i have never seen a browser devote so much screen real estate to the actual webpage. i nearly got agoraphobia the first time i saw facebook on it! and that's what it should be doing, right?

the options are completely intuitive

no need for a sessionsaver add-on, there's an option to resume from close instead. no confusing TLA's (look it up). clear division between basic, intermediate, and advanced options. when you make a new tab you get a blank URL bar, but also a clickable thumbnail gallery of frequently visited sites. this is awesome. more intuitiveness like this!

many things work the same way as firefox in chrome

in fact a lot of firefox key shortcuts are replicated. and it imported all my firefox stuff (except for a couple of passwords) completely painlessly. no need to install flash/javascript/nonsense crap, it's all there and well compact too.

it is REALLY fast

TTGWSUA (the thing google won't shut up about)

the sandboxed environment. tonight i looked at some dodgy javascript, and the tab crashed. i'm preeeety sure the browser would have crashed with FF (and windows would have crashed with IE, lol). anyway seems stable as a big lump of big heavy stable lead. but fast. and the sandboxing means it's *conceptually* stable too (no add-on support, but there is custom javascript support: this is better than adblock for firefox IMO - http://adsweep.org/ - for example, i definitely see less (i.e. no) ads in my photobucket homepage, whereas with firefox+adblock i had some.).

did i mention that it's fast?

it's actually quite amazing - chrome 2 has won me over in 24 hours.

I've just updated and my google chrome is now broken (all I get is the title bar of Chrome and nothing else.....). Possibly time for a reinstall...

EDIT: Yep, that fixed it.

analogue wings - With kaini's adsweep link: yes indeed it does !

Guest Gary C

If you're already using Chrome go to the 'About Google Chrome' option under the spanner to find the quickest updates and downloads.

I haven't noticed anything different yet, only that you can delete the most-visited pages on the new tab page, but maybe that was there before. Gonna watch that video above.

er yea looks like i was already updated. doesnt seem that much different to me. Im still pissed theres no download manager, no way to configure what files open with what, and no add-ons.

that's weird - i was shouting at someone in th'next room earlier, trying to help them locate it, and they couldn't. i had to read out the address

maybe the DNS hasn't propagated yet or summat; who knows. anyway the only thing stopping me before was adblock and now that's there too.

i realised overnight i don't need plugins or addons or snapins.

let your browser be a browser! do your other shit in other shit!

i think it is an admirable philosophy and a practical one too.

Guest Enter a new display name
er yea looks like i was already updated. doesnt seem that much different to me. Im still pissed theres no download manager, no way to configure what files open with what, and no add-ons.

Yeah, I don't really like the download tab...

I recently switched from Firefox to Chrome and some things still annoy me on Chrome. I am currently trying to install Adsweep, so this should improve significantly my browsing experience.

welll the last version i tried was an early 1.0, so i may be singing the praises of features which were incorporated quite a few versions ago;

but still - it now feels "finished". the last version i tried definitely didn't.

Did they fix the "flash video consuming all my cpu use" issue?

well i used to run dev, and beta versions it it didn;t but i gues i'm gonna find out.

Guest analogue wings

ugh. adsweep is a total crock. it doesn't hide ads until AFTER the whole page has downloaded, so it's totally useless if you want to save bandwidth, hide icky pix you just don't want to see, look at the nice tits thread without getting raeped by a million animated gifs, etc, etc, etc...

back to firefox... see you next year chrome...

ugh. adsweep is a total crock. it doesn't hide ads until AFTER the whole page has downloaded, so it's totally useless if you want to save bandwidth, hide icky pix you just don't want to see, look at the nice tits thread without getting raeped by a million animated gifs, etc, etc, etc...

thank you for this post... i was considering downloading but it seems pretty pointless as of right now.

Guest Drahken

I installed chrome and noticed after several minutes of browsing that my HD was making erratic noises at regular intervals, like when your searching for documents. Didn't much care for that, and it doesn't seem to go away with a reinstall. Otherwise it ran fast as hell.

Guest Space Coyote

thank you for this post... i was considering downloading but it seems pretty pointless as of right now.

Also, apart from a better ad blocking system, I'm also going to need the ability to download flash videos easily and an equivalent to Greasemonkey's Greased Lightbox (loads pictures over the top of your current page ala flickr). I'm intrigued by the promises of speed but it seems early days yet

Archived