IGNORED

Transfomers: Revenge of the Fallen

BOCfan

I don't always agree with his reviews but I felt that Mark Kermode nailed it here.

I doubt any of the Transformers fans will agree, most of all because it is 8 minutes long and you will be unable to concentrate for that long, you fucking moron.

Obvious bait, although partially true.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest analogue wings

"it's not just that it's a bad film, it's that it's a film with a rotten heart"

a fucking men

brilliant review. that guy is smart. fantastic. it does have a heart of shit.

he is spot on about absolutely everything he says (except when he says the movie is 246 minutes long, understandable slip of the tongue)

nice to hear somebody else express my feelings

Guest analogue wings
brilliant review. that guy is smart. fantastic. it does have a heart of shit.

he is spot on about absolutely everything he says (except when he says the movie is 246 minutes long, understandable slip of the tongue)

nice to hear somebody else express my feelings

if you want to see about another hundred or so professional writers express your feelings:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transforme..._of_the_fallen/

this is one of those films that's so shit that the critics basically enter into an unstated contest to outdo each other for sheer put down poetry...

I don't always agree with his reviews but I felt that Mark Kermode nailed it here.

I doubt any of the Transformers fans will agree, most of all because it is 8 minutes long and you will be unable to concentrate for that long, you fucking moron.

word up to this guy

This thread is kind of like a Michael Bay film. Everyone knows it's gonna be rubbish, and it is. And some people like it and some people don't.

But even the people who can't stand it at all, feel the need to participate.

And that's why I'm here.

So my two cents:

It was just the same awful boring rubbish as the first one. Sure it was noticably worse but I wasn't any more bothered by this one than I was with the last. If anything, I was less annoyed because last time seeing Bumblebee take a leak on someone was a surprise, so I wasn't at all shocked to see giant metal tesiticles (screw spoiler tags! Michael Bay spoils his own movies by making them).

Why is it that this one gets slammed by the critics and the last one didn't? They're both terrible! The only thing about this one that's worse is that it had negative racial stereotypes (not that the first one didn't, but it least it had some black people who were supposed to be "smart" and "heroic") and the plot made less sense (but the first one didn't either so I don't care).

It didn't make me angry, it just made me bored. What does bother me is the reaction... if I didn't have the internet, I probably would have forgotten I ever saw it the moment I left the cinema.

Guest Gary C

Brilliant. Love Kermode.

I saw this in IMAX with my son Saturday, and I thought it was great - as long as you go in expecting an over the top action movie. This isn't fucking drama, people - it's a visceral tapping into 30-somethings nostalgia everytime a "classic" transformer appears,

Considering they look and act nothing like the cartoon versions, I dont get the nostalgia side of things.

I'm part of the generation that's supposed to be nostalgic about transformers, and yup I used to watch the cartoon and I had a few of the toys, but man I remember joking with my pals back then about how shitty and cheap the cartoon was and how it was blatantly a toy ad. Why would I want to get nostalgic about that?

It's nostalgic in seeing the reimaginings of classic characters (cheesy cartoon notwithstanding), and recognizing them - I pointed out to my son that they were about to form into Devastator, Jetfire appearing, who Ravage/Soundwave were originally, etc. - I was more into the toys than the cartoon, even designing my own transformers (who hasn't done that as a kid) on paper.

Guest Mr Salads
I saw this in IMAX with my son Saturday, and I thought it was great - as long as you go in expecting an over the top action movie. This isn't fucking drama, people - it's a visceral tapping into 30-somethings nostalgia everytime a "classic" transformer appears,

Considering they look and act nothing like the cartoon versions, I dont get the nostalgia side of things.

I'm part of the generation that's supposed to be nostalgic about transformers, and yup I used to watch the cartoon and I had a few of the toys, but man I remember joking with my pals back then about how shitty and cheap the cartoon was and how it was blatantly a toy ad. Why would I want to get nostalgic about that?

It's nostalgic in seeing the reimaginings of classic characters (cheesy cartoon notwithstanding), and recognizing them - I pointed out to my son that they were about to form into Devastator, Jetfire appearing, who Ravage/Soundwave were originally, etc. - I was more into the toys than the cartoon, even designing my own transformers (who hasn't done that as a kid) on paper.

Your son is like "my dad's an idiot"

No, he was genuinely interested in knowing what they originally were way back when... cynical bastard, you!

Guest Mr Salads

No, he was genuinely interested in knowing what they originally were way back when... cynical bastard, you!

No, its cool. I think it is awesome you can talk to your son about that stuff. I think you are digging the father role quite a bit.

Makes me want a son. Except I wont be talking about Transformers.

what's your first language gordo

spanish.

--

anyway, I liked transformers 'cus it made me feel like when i was a kid and watched cartoons all day. I even laughed at the giant robot balls even tho i already had heard about them.

i think part of the schism here is this movie, like all Michael Bay films, embraces American stupidity, and lets us revel in it while making us feel like we're superior in some way to the rest of the world (at least culturally). his movies are almost always bad, but if you see one more than once it's kind of comforting in a way. like when Pearl Harbor came out it was blasted by critics and underperformed in the theater, then 9/11 happened and the DVDs flew off shelves because it made us (USA) feel like everything was going to be ok. i bet a lot of the world has just had enough of Amercia over the last 8 years, and doesn't want to see us full of ourselves anymore, which is why they like stuff like Terminator Salvation which shows Amercia being destroyed by its own creations. say what you want about him, but this will go down as the worst reviewed billion dollar film of all time.

That Mark Kermode thing is brilliant.

I totally agree with it too, although that's what I thought about the first one.

I also agree that it's fine to make a movie about giant fighting robots, I absolutely adore the old animated film, and that was an awful stupid film, but it was fun and fairly innocent ( a bit violent but in a totally un-political, un-satirical, fantasy-fueled way, which is about as innocent as violence in film can get).

There are plenty of dumb action movies that are less infuriating and degrading to EVERYONE as Transformers. Even Terminator Salvation was better than this.

I kinda agree with the review too except that i don't think the things he criticizes are necessarily bad. I don't see what's wrong with whooooooeeoeooeoo.

Guest analogue wings

Aw yeah, Vern has finally gotten round to reviewing the sequel.

Vern Reviews Revenge of the Fallen

As usual, just about every sentence Vern writes is quote-worthy, but here's where he takes on a certain viewpoint that has been stinking up this very thread:

I think you all know where I stand on TRANSFORMERS PART 1. I took some flack because I hated the fucking thing but apparently it was agreed on that we were gonna let that one slide. I guess I took it a little personally because I love these types of movies when they’re done well, so it really chapped my hide to hear everybody parroting and accepting that cliche about it’s just a summer movie, it’s supposed to be dumb and incomprehensible, what did you expect, Terminator 2 Terminator 3 Hamlet? only a dijon mustard loving elitist snob would not get a huge boner just from watching a blurry robot punch (hug?) another robot (building?) in 1 second shots while a camera rotates around it really fast so fuck you you hate America why did you call me stupid by saying you don’t like it you are a faggot it’s not supposed to win oscars.

You know me, I can enjoy stupid movies, even bad movies. I fucking wrote SEAGALOGY, man, of course I understand appreciating different types of movies for what they are, warts and all. All I’m saying is have the courage of your convictions. If you like it, tell me why you like it. Don’t just give me a list of the standards it’s not supposed to live up to. You’re selling movies short. Don’t tell me that a movie about this can’t also be good. And especially don’t tell me that this counts as good action scenes. That’s crossing a line, pal. That’s like pissing on Abraham Lincoln’s grave.

it does have good action scenes and it's an exaggeration that you can't tell what's going on, that does happen but it's only a couple of times and for a few miliseconds.

I could go on and list its actual merits, but meh, i don't care, but I do find it very interesting that the people that didn't like it refuse to accept that others can enjoy it.

Aw yeah, Vern has finally gotten round to reviewing the sequel.

Vern Reviews Revenge of the Fallen

As usual, just about every sentence Vern writes is quote-worthy, but here's where he takes on a certain viewpoint that has been stinking up this very thread:

surprisingly this made me want to see it. it sounds like it would be crazy to go to alone and stoned, just for the interest of observing it's soulless, terrible nature.

I'm sure it would be quite a trip.

• 1 month later...

Archived