IGNORED

Quaristice.. Only one complaint

Guest themutableone

All excellent examples, and yes, there are some melodies... HIDDEN UNDER ALL THE PRETENTIOUS DSP FUCKERY. I revise my statement - their recent output is not souless non-melodic music, but rather they choose to bury any semblance of structure and melody under sounds my old 80's era game console would make if I didn't blow the cartridge out before inserting it. :lol:

And the "DSP fuckery" is just as likely to be a crusty old beatbox through an old Boss RSD-10 delay pedal with some novel signal patched into its pitch input. Sure, it's unnecessary, but it adds extra textural detail, and even melodies/harmonies and rhythms. What's wrong with that?

What makes that pretentious? I don't see or hear the pretense. The only thing they claim to do is to trust their instincts, indulge themselves, and try to coax sounds out of machines that they weren't intended to do.

sounds my old 80's era game console would make if I didn't blow the cartridge out before inserting it. :lol:

See, I think this is actually something they might try. But if it sounds cool, who cares how you did it? I think this is a lot more sincere than, for an opposite example, making crappy punk on a gameboy, and then pressing "START" on it, and dancing around onstage as if you were doing something to control the playback. Now that's pretty pretentious, right?

You could be right on both accounts

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

besides, what makes autechre's dsp fuckery more pretentious than squarepusher's (for example)?

Nothing - until Hello Everything, I thought Tom had lost the plot to DSP fuckery after Ultravisitor and Do You Know Squarepusher...

Autechre's music is becoming more and more like a puzzle. The difference between their music and more normal sounding music is akin to the difference between looking at a picture, and putting a puzzle of that same picture back together.

I think thats probably why most of it sounds like trash the first few times. I will admit I used to hate the vast majority of ae's work but tracks like Rpeg, Clipper, Eutow etc kept me pushing and now there are only a few tracks that I dont seriously groove to.

i think a lot of people fall in love with the concept of autechre which tricks them into thinking they love ll of autechre's musics. also, some people feel a sense of entitlement or even enlightenment because they 'understand' something that someone else may not.

that being said, i do like a lot of their catalog, but i also am finding that i enjoy the 90s stuff much more than the post 2000 stuff. if something from incunabula comes on shuffle in my car, ill bump the hell out of it. if something from confield comes on, i think to myself if i am in the mood to try and digest this right now. then i hit forward. its not to say i dont like all their crazy stuff, its just im hardly in the mood to dissect and digest things like that anymore in my old age.

that being said, i do like a lot of their catalog, but i also am finding that i enjoy the 90s stuff much more than the post 2000 stuff. if something from incunabula comes on shuffle in my car, ill bump the hell out of it. if something from confield comes on, i think to myself if i am in the mood to try and digest this right now. then i hit forward. its not to say i dont like all their crazy stuff, its just im hardly in the mood to dissect and digest things like that anymore in my old age.

i've been the opposite lately - i've kinda burned myself out on their mid-90s stuff, and i'm starting to give their post-confield albums more time - confield is still my favourite ae album, though draft is finally starting to grow on me.

i do however think that the quality of their releases has been deteriorating a little since confield, i dunno if it's because their tracks are becoming more simple, or that confield was just so amazing that anything after it would pale in comparison, haha!

Isn't it a little bit douche baggish to assume that people who like all of Autechre's output are tricking themselves? I mean, I love all their music, some tracks more than others obviously with a preference leaning towards the newer stuff. But that's not because I'm telling myself their older stuff is good too, I just appreciate it naturally. I think there is still an undoubtable Autechre "vibe" if you will, even with the older more basic shit.

It's just good music, some people like parts of it, some people like all of it. Others like none of it.

Is there really a debate about that?

Isn't it a little bit douche baggish to assume that people who like all of Autechre's output are tricking themselves? I mean, I love all their music, some tracks more than others obviously with a preference leaning towards the newer stuff. But that's not because I'm telling myself their older stuff is good too, I just appreciate it naturally. I think there is still an undoubtable Autechre "vibe" if you will, even with the older more basic shit.

It's just good music, some people like parts of it, some people like all of it. Others like none of it.

no no no. i didnt mean everyone who likes autechre. i meant that i think some people fall in love with the idea of them more than them, if that makes sense. i was in no way saying that you cant like them. i just think that what they represent and the concept behind them sometimes seems to come before the music. thats all. no offense intended.

no no no. i didnt mean everyone who likes autechre. i meant that i think some people fall in love with the idea of them more than them, if that makes sense. i was in no way saying that you cant like them. i just think that what they represent and the concept behind them sometimes seems to come before the music. thats all. no offense intended.

None taken! I see what you're saying yeah, you might be on to something - not in my case but I think you could be right about certain people.

Sorry for knee jerk reaction, read too many Joyrex-esque "NEW AUYTRECHRE IZ BADS BECAUCE IT NOT ALL PRITTY MELODYS! IF U DISAGREE UR RONG!" posts I think.

None taken! I see what you're saying yeah, you might be on to something - not in my case but I think you could be right about certain people.

Sorry for knee jerk reaction, read too many Joyrex-esque "NEW AUYTRECHRE IZ BADS BECAUCE IT NOT ALL PRITTY MELODYS! IF U DISAGREE UR RONG!" posts I think.

That's called having an opinion, Obel, and considering how many people seem to share that opinion...

It sounds funny citing the many people who share this opinion, since to most of those many, I'm sure, all IDM sounds like noise anyway.

That said, there is no reason to beat up on Joyrex for his opinion. I like all autechre, but, surely, any autechre can understand someone not being into their later music. I like it, but I'm not hugely surprised that it isn't very popular.

Guest theSun

i just need something to do. anything. 2 more hours then i don't have to pretend i'm at work...

i also dislike fold 4,wrap 5

@rex - of course it's having an opinion, I'm not a dolt. Just grinds my gears a bit when people say "I'm right, you're wrong" kind of thing. Of course people might not like later ae but that doesn't mean people who do are wrong.

Shit, you already know this. But my train is stuck in the middle of fucking nowhere for half hour already and I'm bored.

Is it possible to get a blackberry compatible WATMM up in this bitch?

Archived