IGNORED

Your Favorite Wars

Overand

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the whole "War on Drugs" thing has been wrong all along. Instead of a war against drugs we should promote armed combat while on LSD.

Guest WhoNeedsElectricity

Also Hideyoshi's invasions of Korea (1592-1598) were amazing, due to the rise of the Korean Admiral Yi Sun-Shin and his amazing naval victories over the Japanese. He whipped their ass all over the place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseon_naval_campaigns_of_1592

He was the guy that sunk and damaged around 100 ship without losing a single on, right?

More than that. he was in 4 decisive battles, all of which he won in the face of overwhelming numerical superiority.

In all he was in 23 battles, of which he lost none.

More than that. he was in 4 decisive battles, all of which he won in the face of overwhelming numerical superiority.

He had to be using a game genie cartridge or some shit for sure.

So I was thinking lately about how every now and then mankind sees fit to line up and kill each other in big gory hordes. Sometimes these excursions tend to be more interesting than others. What are your favorite wars and why?

WWII, this is like the Schindler's List of wars, everyone loves it. I do too.

Cold War - most IDM war

Napoleonic wars. Dude knew how to fuck shit up. Also the closest anyone has come to conquering the world in the last couple centuries.

The Mongol Conquests. Another case of one dude trying to rule the world.

The current Iraq War is pretty good, I'd say. if only because it'll end up being the most thoroughly recorded war in history. Until the next one of course.

What are your favorite bloody batches from the history books?

can please anyone explain me, how the hell can you prefer one war over the other? have you been there to compare them first hand? did you have fun fighting? or it is just so much fun to read about plots and spies and technology from safe and warm sofa?

war in iraq is 'good'?! how 'good' can a war be? are you some kind of neo-nazi pro-war patriot? are you fucking retarded?

I can prefer one war over the other for various reasons; depth of history, amount of technological innovation involved, whether or not I agree with any of the sides involved. The Iraq war is like the troubled antihero of wars. It was started by rallying people's best intentions through lies and exploitation of a national tragedy. Then they deposed one of the 20th centuries greater assholes and somehow managed to make the country worse off because of it. It's rich history, dude.

excuse my radical response, but i believe war (violence), exploitation and oppression became so common these days (a lot due to entertainment industry too) that people fail to see the true horror of it, despite the 'rich history' idea or even 'fun' factor to it. this boggles me even more...

innovation and 'depth of history' can be achieved without pain and suffering.

my favorite is the war in Kosovo because it exposes all the democrats for the war mongering douches they really are.

that's exactly why they divide into democrats and republicans (or left/right) in the first place. to give the impression that causing destructive chaos among helpless people can also be 'good' of 'prosperous'. to display a somehow 'righteous' aspect to invasion or interference in general. christ.

the thing is, Kosovo has been oppressed for many many years before, at the very beginning of the formation of Yugoslavia. The issue of demographic minorities who demand their own sovereign country attracted attention of many long-term (political, but mainly economical) interests. Kosovo as i see it, became a portfolio situation for the European Union and NATO how to 'handle' such problems, indicating that international police concept is organized and well on the way, along with the tool of International Law, which also presents itself as a flawfull mechanism in hands of those with endless interest.

Guest Dirty Protest

The mini civil war in Britian was fun, one minute you'ld be shopping for school shoes then a few minutes later yould watch the shoe shop get blown to shit. Underlying danger always adds a bit of interest to a mundane life.

Guest ezkerraldean

cold war was definitely pretty IDM. i love reading shit about the great patriotic war too like Beevor's Berlin and Stalingrad books. the red army were fucking hard bastards. one russian guy in stalingrad got executed by firing squad for desertion, but somehow didn't die, and 10 minutes later got up and ran back off to the front.

the war between britain and zanzibar was pretty awesome.

He had to be using a game genie cartridge or some shit for sure.

Konami code.

excuse my radical response, but i believe war (violence), exploitation and oppression became so common these days (a lot due to entertainment industry too) that people fail to see the true horror of it, despite the 'rich history' idea or even 'fun' factor to it. this boggles me even more...

I think that's a pretty ridiculous assessment, especially the part about the entertainment industry. Mankind is impelled towards destructive activities and has often found cruelty to be a source of amusement but historically speaking we're living in one of the least violent ages ever.

Steven Pinker makes this point better than I do.

And I would contest your point that innovation and depth of history can be achieved without pain and suffering. Necessity is the mother of invention and there's nothing like the immediate threat of getting blown to shit to get your ass in gear. The World Wars and Cold wars were the primary technological driving factor of the 20th century.

i like the war where i put my penis in things

In this epic struggle, I'll use my rod to pound the enemy into submission.

sure, this is true, but with past wars already fought why not be interested and excited about the "depth of history" already present? i think it's important to study such things and i find them fascinating, even though i find war itself horrible. arguments have and can and will be made about it but whatever.

Archived