IGNORED

Your Favorite Wars

Overand

So I was thinking lately about how every now and then mankind sees fit to line up and kill each other in big gory hordes. Sometimes these excursions tend to be more interesting than others. What are your favorite wars and why?

WWII, this is like the Schindler's List of wars, everyone loves it. I do too.

Cold War - most IDM war

Napoleonic wars. Dude knew how to fuck shit up. Also the closest anyone has come to conquering the world in the last couple centuries.

The Mongol Conquests. Another case of one dude trying to rule the world.

The current Iraq War is pretty good, I'd say. if only because it'll end up being the most thoroughly recorded war in history. Until the next one of course.

What are your favorite bloody batches from the history books?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any way, as far as 20th century goes, WW1 was so fucking brutal.

this.

also, i think what the original poster was meant to say was 'wars that you find the most fascinating' followed by 'wars that you find the most morbidly fascinating'. saying 'favourite' is just fucking distasteful dude.

So I was thinking lately about how every now and then mankind sees fit to line up and kill each other in big gory hordes. Sometimes these excursions tend to be more interesting than others. What are your favorite wars and why?

Cold War - most IDM war

Napoleonic wars. Dude knew how to fuck shit up. Also the closest anyone has come to conquering the world in the last couple centuries.

The current Iraq War is pretty good, I'd say. if only because it'll end up being the most thoroughly recorded war in history. Until the next one of course.

can please anyone explain me, how the hell can you prefer one war over the other? have you been there to compare them first hand? did you have fun fighting? or it is just so much fun to read about plots and spies and technology from safe and warm sofa?

war in iraq is 'good'?! how 'good' can a war be? are you some kind of neo-nazi pro-war patriot? are you fucking retarded?

Cold War - most IDM war

can please anyone explain me, how the hell can you prefer one war over the other? have you been there to compare them first hand? did you have fun fighting? or it is just so much fun to read about plots and spies and technology from safe and warm sofa?

war in iraq is 'good'?! how 'good' can a war be? are you some kind of neo-nazi pro-war patriot? are you fucking retarded?

Are you serious? Are you really taking this that seriously?

My favourite war is WW1, pure underdog. Trench warfare was so morbid and futile - A totally unappreciated war. More people died from sickness and infection in the trench than actual combat, which is awesome.

WW2 was good, but has been tainted by Hollywood romanticizing it too much. On the other hand, the nukes were cool.

The hundred years war is on my list for sheer length 116 years! Well done guys! :)

Cold War - most IDM war

I'm with Godwin here. this thread is pretty fucking terrible

...The Dresden Fire-bombing (for example)

I dont really have "favorites".

But i do find a few the most interesting:

WWI(often overlooked because of the second one, but this one is just as important in terms of technological advances)

Spanish Reconquista

French and Indian War, or the Seven Years' War(in my opinion the first World War proper)

Second Punic War...famous for Hannibals March....excellent war in terms of studying attrition tactics/indirect battle strategies

and then the Crusades are always fascinating to read about.

also forgot this one..dont think anyone mentioned it, but the Sengoku period of japanese history....the legends are a lot of fun to read...history just as much so, just dont expect it to be as grand as Japanese patriots would lead you to believe.

Some regard Nobunaga, Shingen and others as heroes, others find them despicable villains.

The Sengoku era is a pretty wicked era in Japan History. It starts with the Onin wars : warlords were fighting for Shogun Ashikaga succession. This later was writing ppetry while Kyoto was burning around him. Sengoku era roughly ends with the sekigahara battle which involved around 200 000 men (biggest medieval war ever -swords guys swords !-, as a point of comparison, the biggest medieval european battle only involved 60000).

For anyone interested in european medieval history, i highly suggest to have a look at medieval japan history, quite the same very entertaining stuff actually.

+Joan Of Arc rules.

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,

Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,

Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs

And towards our distant rest began to trudge.

Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots

But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;

Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots

Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys! -- An ecstasy of fumbling,

Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;

But someone still was yelling out and stumbling

And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .

Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,

As under I green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,

He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace

Behind the wagon that we flung him in,

And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,

His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood

Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,

Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud

Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues, --

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest

To children ardent for some desperate glory,

The old lie: Dulce et decorum est

Pro patria mori.